Yes! Another "which camera" thread!

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in Cameras
A friend of mine (and a lurker I'm trying to draw out into the open :poke) is trying to decide between a 30D and a 5D. He's having trouble.

Having hefted both, he likes the feel of the 30D better but admits he could probably get used to the size and weight of the 5D. He's a big enough guy, after all.

He wants to take landscapes on his hiking trips, and so the smaller lighter 30D may be a benefit, and yet he is seduced by the full frame possibilities of shooting really W-I-D-E.

Now for me, 16mm on a 30D (25-ish equivalent) should be wide enough for most outdoor landsacpes. Maybe not so for city streets, but hiking landscapes? I think so. And I have advised him to take that extra $1200 or so that he saves buying the 30D and get himself some fast glass.

He's still unconvinced either way. Note that Nikon, Sigma and Sony are out of the question since I have Canon gear and this way we can share... I said he was undecided, not stupid! :rofl

Anyone have a strong opinion on 30D vs. 5D for my buddy Nairbski?

Comments

• sw001sw001 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2007
    I'd love to upgrade my 20D to a 5D. It seems most of the really good lenses are designed around full frame cameras. The nice walk around L lenses are really to zoomed in on a crop sensor (at least for me). I think especially for landscapes, the 5D would be great for getting wide angle shots, and the 12 megapixel resolution would bring out more details as well.

If you go with the 30D, you're almost forced into EF-S type lenses, and really locked down into a camera format.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    sw001 wrote:
    If you go with the 30D, you're almost forced into EF-S type lenses, and really locked down into a camera format.
    Uh... what? headscratch.gif I have a 20D and I don't even own any EF-S lenses. ne_nau.gif

It's a pros and cons thing really. The 30D is faster, the 5D is full frame. The 30D crop factor will make champions of pretty good lenses (meaning it crops off the edges where many lenses tend to get soft - this doesn't apply to EF-S lenses mind you), the 5D will let you shoot wiiiiiiiiide.

I don't personally think that the extra weight of a 5D is going to be that much of a burden. I don't go anywhere without the battery grip on my 20D and generally not without my Bigma lens so maybe I'm not the right person to talk about that though. But IMHO, 12 mpix is a lot to deal with. Hopefully your friend has some good computer resources as well if he chooses the 5D. Those will be some massive raw files.

Honestly, if this person is just getting started, the 30D is going to be more camera than they'll need for quite a long time. And I'm with you, the extra $1200 can go a long way towards lenses and extras like CF cards and sensor swabs and crumpler backpacks and tripods and all that jazz.

I say go for the 30D.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    ...he could probably get used to the size and weight of the 5D. He's a big enough guy, after all.
    Well I shoot a 1DMKIIN and a 5D. Trust me, the weight of the 5D is absolutely minimal compared to the 1D series! Pop a 70-200 and an RSS bracket and a strobe on a 1D and you'll NEVER think the 5D weighs a lot, that I promise.

I'd say anyone who even has to ask, "5D or 30D?" should go with the 30D. Just my opinion of course. The 5D is a great camera, but if someone isn't sure if they need/want it or not, they probably don't. Again, just my opinion but the 5D is a pretty serious camera. Even though it's not pro-spec, it's still used by a lot of pros. The 5D is going to eat up HD space faster too-- six HD's and counting on my PC.

Oh yeah, I used to shoot 20D's and had a 10-22 lens for landscapes-- seemed to work nicely for what I was doing at the time. But strangely, these days, between the 5D and the 1D, I actually prefer the 1D even though it's not full frame and it has lower resolution (8.2MP). I find if I get the shot right in camera, the 1D is perfect.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    sw001 wrote:

Umm...sure. So who's twisting your arm? headscratch.gif Seriously, crop cameras use standard EF lenses just fine.

Anyway, so where's the cult-of-the-5D? :D For landscapes the 5D seems like a very good choice, but it's a whole lot of camera to start with and a pretty significant purchase for a noob. The 30D will do just fine here and leave a lot of budget for lenses and other accessories. My 20D has done well with my 12-24 for doing landscapes--and the total package cost less than the 5D by itself. thumb.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Thanks for the replies - I have been pushing the 30D but hey, it's not my money after all! All I can tell him is that good lenses are a wise investment and stay with you long after the body has been upgraded. ne_nau.gif

All this good info and still he hasn't posted! I'm gonna smack that guy when I see him :thwak
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Anyway, so where's the cult-of-the-5D? :D For landscapes the 5D seems like a very good choice, but it's a whole lot of camera to start with and a pretty significant purchase for a noob. The 30D will do just fine here and leave a lot of budget for lenses and other accessories. My 20D has done well with my 12-24 for doing landscapes--and the total package cost less than the 5D by itself. thumb.gif

I think you answered your own question about the cult of the 5D :D... a camera body ain't much good if you can't afford glass to go with it.

I forgot about Sigma lenses-- used to have an 18-55 f2.8 that was wonderful-- especially for the price. Just make sure your friend knows there's a HUGE market in used camera gear. If your pal starts with Sigma and decides L-glass is the way to go, the Sigma's will sell quickly. I sold mine in about two minutes after posting an e-mail on my day job staff directory. And... my guess is there will be a market for used 30D's for a while yet too-- in my area, it's still pretty easy to sell used 10D's.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    he could just buy ther 10-20 sigma and get your wide angle. it's the equivalent of the 16 on a full frame. I have the 30D and he'll be very happy with it. I'd buy the 30D and buy more glass. I'd wait, because the full frame sensors are going to come down in price exponentially soon.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • sw001sw001 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2007
    Umm...sure. So who's twisting your arm? headscratch.gif Seriously, crop cameras use standard EF lenses just fine.
    To get a really useable wide angle on your crop camera, you're looking the EF-S 10-22mm lens, or the Sigma and Tamron ones. The third party wide angle lenses are reported to not really work well on full frame lenses. So you buy lenses that are limited to crop sensors.

You have similar issues with 'walk' around lenses. The 24-70mm L lens is better as a walk around on a full frame camera. You can get the 17-55 EF-S lens to act as something similar on a crop frame, but again, you're going with lens alternatives that won't port well.

I guess my issue, is that I potentially may want to move to a full frame camera, and expect them to get cheaper over time. Investing in EF-S or other lenses that are compromised on full frame cameras, seems like a waste of money. I'm not sure I'd want to try selling them down the road. Better to just get the full frame at some point.

Make sense?

My 28-75 is a good lens, but I'd rather it be really 28-75mm instead of 45-120, when I'm shooting photos in my house, or other smaller spots. What lens would be better as a walkaround? A 17-55 type? Most of those aren't great on the 5D from reports I've read.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 9, 2007
    I'll throw another hat in the ring, the Canon 350D/XT and 400D/XTi are still great cameras, and are capable of producing images very similar to the 20D/30D. Lighter than any other in the Canon lineup, after you add a battery grip/vertical grip they are a very consumate image producer with plenty of hand "real estate".

Until you get beyond ISO 800 and/or 8" x 10" printed images, any of the cameras mentioned in this thread would be capable of general photography, and given the right lens, vista landscapes in particular.

I suggest that some time needs to be spent reviewing the features of the different cameras, in a side-by-side comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos30d%2Ccanon_eos400d%2Ccanon_eos5d&show=all

Then a trip to PBase to review sample images, refreshing the screen a few times at each stop to randomize the results:

30D:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_30d

400D:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_digital_rebel_xti

5D:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_5d

... and finally, some landscape images, shot by dGrinners:

Canon XT, landscape doesn't always mean wide (see last image, BigAl shot):
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=392445&postcount=36

Canon 1Ds MKII (similar to the 5D in format only :D), it doesn't always mean Canon lenses (Zeiss 21mm, not fair, I know, Andy shot):
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1075248/1/49943833/Large

Canon, not sure which (Nikolai):
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=341358&postcount=8

I guess what I'm trying to say with this long convoluted response, is that with scenic/landscape photography, the parts that are important are (in this particular order, very much IMHO):

Location, includes framing/cropping.
    Light, even if you have to wait months or years.
    Lens, more important than any camera, must be of sufficient quality and length/FOV, etc.
    Exposure, is often an extremely important frogotten element, not always provided by the camera automatically.
    Camera, all the pixels in the world and the best imager on earth can't save you if the above qualities aren't met.
    Post-Processing, can make a great image sparkle, but can't necessarily save a bad image.

There are plenty of options out there, and almost none of them horrible anymore. Dive right in. Learn. Take appropriate risks. Make mistakes. Move on. Succeed!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NairbskiNairbski Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2007
    Thank you everyone
    Thanks everyone! Yes I'm DJ-S1's noob friend. I appreciate all of your input and experience. Many good points to take in. From what I’m reading, it sounds like most of you are saying is to go with the 30D. I have to admit that I loved looking through the 5D, but I knew that reality would hit when I had to pull my wallet out of my pocket...

:tough

So seeing how I’m interested in shooting landscapes and outdoor scenes, what would be some suggestions for first two lenses?

BTW, does this mean I’m de-lurked? thumb.gif
    edited March 9, 2007
    Nairbski wrote:
    does this mean I’m de-lurked? thumb.gif
    Yes n00b, but you have to keep shooting and posting. Them's the rules. deal.gif

Seeing as I may be, um, "borrowing" any lenses you acquire, I'll let the experts weigh in. Don't want to bias the advice, after all. :D
    edited March 11, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    I'd wait, because the full frame sensors are going to come down in price exponentially soon.

- RE

Can you expound on your comment on full frames? My buddy [DJ-S1] & I went to Hunt's in Providence yesterday and they informed us that they can no longer get the 30D as body only. Canon will only sell them the 30D bundled now, and that it would soon be discontinuing the 30D. Just wonder if there is a connection to what you were referring to.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    I'd wait, because the full frame sensors are going to come down in price exponentially soon.
    Just curious, why is that?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nairbski wrote:
    Can you expound on your comment on full frames? My buddy [DJ-S1] & I went to Hunt's in Providence yesterday and they informed us that they can no longer get the 30D as body only. Canon will only sell them the 30D bundled now, and that it would soon be discontinuing the 30D. Just wonder if there is a connection to what you were referring to.
    Not sure about there (US), but the 30d can be bought non-bundled all over the place here (Netherlands).

Regardless of the 30d/5d/other models, what do you want? a full-frame sensor? or a cropped sensor? A full-frame sensor is not automatically better I think. It depends mainly on your shooting style and personal preference I would say.

In the end, it's you, the photographer who takes the photo. I've seen pictures here that people took with a 5d, or 1d, and they were terrible. I've also seen pictures here that people took with a 300d/digital rebel, and they were as good as they get.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Welcome. Glad to see another soul take the plunge into this great hobby/profession/obsession/passion/... :)

Prices will certainly continue to fall over time on just about anything in electronics. With Canon, I think they try to stick to an 18-24 month cycle for introducing new products and upgrades. I am just speculating, but since Canon announced the MarkIII with DigicIII, it sounds reasonable that the 30D, 5D and MarkII will get get upgrades within a year to DigicIII. That would drive down the price on all those bodies based on DigicII, which are plenty good.

You can also count on the new model costing you a premium, when you buy within the first 6 months. Unless the new model of anything has significant advantages over the predecessor, I tend to stick with the predecessor. I am close follower of technology rather than a leading or bleeding edge guy, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

As for getting the 30D as a body only, you can always buy from B&H or Allen's Camera. I know B&H will have it and I'll bet Allen's will too. It's always nice to patronize local business, but if they can't get you what you want, too bad for them.

Better yet, keep an eye out for a used 30D and save even more. I found an insane deal through someone in my local club, where I saved about $600 off the price of buying the body and accessories new and I ended up with a 30D with 230 shutter activations that was out of the house once. I am a FIRM supporter and believer in buying used equipment. When you buy through here or Fred Miranda you are getting top quality gear that was taken care of ell or better than you would yourself.

All the best and happy snapping.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nairbski wrote:

Hit Best Buy......at least here they have the 30D body only and probably cheaper than Hunts also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nairbski wrote:
    Thanks everyone! Yes I'm DJ-S1's noob friend. I appreciate all of your input and experience. Many good points to take in. From what I’m reading, it sounds like most of you are saying is to go with the 30D. I have to admit that I loved looking through the 5D, but I knew that reality would hit when I had to pull my wallet out of my pocket...

:tough

So seeing how I’m interested in shooting landscapes and outdoor scenes, what would be some suggestions for first two lenses?

BTW, does this mean I’m de-lurked? thumb.gif

Welcome to the Digital Grin.

I shoot both crop 1.6 and crop 1.3 cameras, so I'm pretty sensitive to the crop vs full-frame issues.

If you are getting the 30D, and it is a very good choice, but there are many good choices these days, and you are talking vista landscapes, you should probably stay with the wide end of things.

Super-Wide zooms

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12039&A=details&Q=&sku=351542&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/CA1022AFSU.html?searchinfo=Canon%20EF-S%2010-22mm%20f/3.5-4.5%20USM&item_no=2
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545f425cce47ad/shopdata/0010_Lenses/0010_Zoom/0010_Digital+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0100_Canon%2BZoom%2BWide%2BAngle%2BEF-S%2B10-22mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B3%3D252E5-4%3D252E5%2BUSM%2BAutofocus%2BLens%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BEOS%2BDigital%2BRebel%3D2C%2B20D%3D2C%2B20Da%2Band%2B30D%2BDigital%2BCameras%2B%3D28CA1022F34I%3D29

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12039&A=details&Q=&sku=381610&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/SG1020EOS.html?searchinfo=Sigma%2010-20mm&item_no=6
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545f425cce47ad/shopdata/0010_Lenses/0010_Zoom/0010_Digital+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0050_Sigma%2BZoom%2BWide%2BAngle%2B10-20mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B4-5%3D252E6%2BEX%2BDC%2BHSM%2BAutofocus%2BLens%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BDigital%2BEOS%2B%3D28SG1020F4CA%3D29

Tamron SP 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12039&A=details&Q=&sku=363807&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/TM1118EOS.html?searchinfo=Tamron%20SP%2011-18mm&item_no=4
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545f425cce47ad/shopdata/0010_Lenses/0010_Zoom/0010_Digital+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0110_Tamron%2BZoom%2BWide%2BAngle%2BSP%2BAF%2B11-18mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B4%3D252E5-5%3D252E6%2BDi-II%2BLD%2BAspherical%2B%3D28IF%3D29%2BAutofocus%2BLens%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BDigital%2BEOS%2B%3D28TA1118F45DI2CA%3D29

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12039&A=details&Q=&sku=360349&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/TN1224EOS.html?searchinfo=Tokina%2012-24mm&item_no=2
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545f425cce47ad/shopdata/0010_Lenses/0010_Zoom/0020_Wide+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0060_Tokina%2BZoom%2BWide%2BAngle%2B12-24mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B4%2BAT-X%2B124%2BPro%2BDX%2BAutofocus%2BLens%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BDigital%2BEOS%2B%3D28TO1224F4CA%3D29

Although all of the above are respectable lenses, I would suggest either the Canon or Sigma as leaders in the group. Reviews here:
    http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Standard Wide to Short-Tele

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12039&A=details&Q=&sku=425812&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/CA1755U.html?searchinfo=Canon%20EF-S%2017-55mm&item_no=2
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545f425cce47ad/shopdata/0010_Lenses/0010_Zoom/0010_Digital+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0230_Canon%2BZoom%2BWide%2BAngle-Normal%2BEF-S%2B17-55mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B2%3D252E8%2BIS%2B%3D28Image%2BStabilizer%3D29%2BUSM%2BAutofocus%2BLens%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BEOS%2BDigital%2BRebel%2B%3D26slash%3D3B%2BXT%3D2C%2B20D%3D2C%2B20Da%2Band%2B30D%2BDigital%2BCameras%2B%3D28CA1755F28%3D29

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12039&A=details&Q=&sku=419582&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/SG1850NEOS.html?searchinfo=Sigma%2018-50mm&item_no=8
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545f425cce47ad/shopdata/0010_Lenses/0010_Zoom/0010_Digital+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0380_Sigma%2BZoom%2BWide%2BAngle-Normal%2B18-50mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B2%3D252E8%2BEX%2BDC%2BMacro%2BAutofocus%2BLens%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BDigital%2BEOS%2B%3D28SG1850F28MCA%3D29

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12039&A=details&Q=&sku=423714&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    http://www.adorama.com/TM1750EOS.html?searchinfo=Tamron%2017-50mm&item_no=1
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545f425cce47ad/shopdata/0010_Lenses/0010_Zoom/0010_Digital+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0170_Tamron%2BZoom%2BWide%2BAngle-Normal%2BSP%2B17-50mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B2%3D252E8%2BXR%2BDi%2BII%2BLD%2BAspherical%2B%3D28IF%3D29%2BAutofocus%2BLens%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BDigital%2BEOS%2B%3D28TA1750F28CA%3D29

Canon is by far the most expensive, but also the only one with IS.

Other lenses to mention are the Canon full-frame, 17-40mm, f4L and the 16-35mm, f2.8L, but if you are interested in the 16-35mm "L" you might want to wait as Canon is talking about a new version.

That is (IMHO) the lineup of the best lenses currently available for the angle-of-view I would suggest for scenic/vista landscapes in Canon mount.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 12, 2007
    Great post, Ziggy! thumb.gif I've pretty much got him locked on the 30D, so I'm sure he'll be looking closely at the super-wides you mentioned. Thanks!
    edited March 12, 2007
    I'm going to be a muckraker here on the UWA zooms. From what I've seen over the past few months it seems the Canon 10-22 and Tokina 12-24 were the most popular among the options for Canon shooters. The choice there boils down the the last 2mm at the wide end, build, and $200 price difference. If that last 2mm is critical to you, the Canon is the obvious choice. Otherwise it's difficult. To me the build & $200 savings pushed me easily to the Tokina. Image quality is indistinguishable--I've used both.

Now, as to FF vs crop lens use (this is for sw001). It really gets down to the eye of the beholder. If you're going to move to a FF body (I won't call that an "upgrade" because it isn't necessarily that), I agree--buying lenses meant for crop bodies doesn't make a lot of sense (BTW, EF-S won't physically fit on the 5D, so the optics not being optimized are a moot point).

As to preferred focal ranges on crop vs FF, that's totally subjective. I have no problem using the 24-70L as a walk-around on my 20D; I know some people hate it in that role, but I don't. Horses for courses. The 50mm prime (pick your favorite variation) is indeed a bit long for indoors, easy solution: use a 35mm instead. For UWA zooms, except for the Sigma 12-24 the rest are meant for crop bodies and as you said either don't work well (Tokina, Sigma, Tamron) or won't mount at all (Canon). I find my Tokina works just fine for wide shots on my crop body.

I see the crop bodies and FF bodies as different tools for different jobs. My needs mean the crop bodies are the right tool for the job. That, along with budget should be weighed in when making the decision. There's a number of people out there so hung up on the 5D having a sensor matching the arbitrary 35mm film frame size they cannot see beyond it (so if 24x36mm is "full frame" what is a 6cmx4.5cm, 6x6, 6x7, etc medium format, or a 4"x5", 8"x10", etc large format?).

....man am i grumpy this morning! Need to go get some more coffee...rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 18, 2007
    Took the big plunge!
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies - I have been pushing the 30D but hey, it's not my money after all! All I can tell him is that good lenses are a wise investment and stay with you long after the body has been upgraded. ne_nau.gif

All this good info and still he hasn't posted! I'm gonna smack that guy when I see him :thwak

Well, after reading all of everyone’s input and bugging my friend DJ-S1 relentlessly, finally took the big plunge and purchased a Canon 30D with the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens. I think I’m going to be very happy with this to get started. Thanks again to everyone’s input. Can’t wait to get my equipment and start posting some pictures!
    edited March 19, 2007
    That's going to be a very good starting kit. Good enough that you can't blame the gear. :D
    edited March 19, 2007
    :whipI had to push hard for him to cave on the ultra-wide angle lens, but I really thought this would be a great setup to start with. We'll see...:D
    edited March 19, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Just curious, why is that?

hey, sorry! I haven't been looking at the responses on this thread!

you should definitely be able to get the 30D with the body only. look on BH, I'm sure they have it. if they don't, you can find it SOMEWHERE, I know it.

the full frames are coveted right now, it's the same with everything. I mean 10 years ago the best thing you could get was a 2 MP little (or not so little actually...) point and shoot and that was if you had more money than you knew what to do with! now, you can get the Canon Rebel XTi 10MP DSLR for way less than $1000. the price has dropped EXPONENTIALLY for these! the full frame is still a "new" thing and people want it. the companies are making good decisions in order to bank on this want. the demand is HIGH and the companies are controlling supply - price is sky rocketing as expected in such situations. Canon has a monopoly on the full frame market, which is another reason.

as with any technology, when it arricvs, it's EXPENSIVE, think of plasma TVs, were $50,000, now you can get one for less than $6,000 or so.

Full Frames will come down a lot in the future, I promise. It's about time for Canon to introduce a new "5D" and have the full frame market come down a bit. now, by "in the future" I'm speaking of a year ot so. that's why I say to buy the 30D, love it, then when something new and cheaper comes out, go with it.

hope that explains my reasoning...

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
    edited March 19, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    hey, sorry! I haven't been looking at the responses on this thread!

you should definitely be able to get the 30D with the body only. look on BH, I'm sure they have it. if they don't, you can find it SOMEWHERE, I know it.

- RE

Thanks for the reply. I made the big plung this week. I should get my equipment Wed/Thru of this week. I did find a 30D form B&H. I got it bundled with a 2gig memory card. I ended up getting a Canon 30D with the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens. I think I'll be very happy for a while.

After checking out the 5D, I really loved the full frame. My buddy, DJ-S1, had to twist my arm, quite hard, to get to forget about the 5D. But all in all, I think a made a good decision, with eveyone's input. Can't wait to start shooting!
    wings.gif
    edited March 20, 2007
    Nairbski wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I made the big plung this week. I should get my equipment Wed/Thru of this week. I did find a 30D form B&H. I got it bundled with a 2gig memory card. I ended up getting a Canon 30D with the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens. I think I'll be very happy for a while.

After checking out the 5D, I really loved the full frame. My buddy, DJ-S1, had to twist my arm, quite hard, to get to forget about the 5D. But all in all, I think a made a good decision, with eveyone's input. Can't wait to start shooting!
    wings.gif

wow! well, I can tell you that I KNOW you'll be happy with your setup, as I have the 30D and the 24-105 as well, and I can tell you - those two are great choices. I can't wait to see some of your first shots! congrats on the new gear!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Excellent choices in body and lens. You're going to be very happy with that setup. Looking forward to seeing your shots.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen