Display Thumnail on Locked Gallery?

crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited March 9, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

Me: Smugmug account basic subscription

History: If I password protect a gallery it displays a picture of a pad lock for a thumnail for that particular gallery.

Problem/Request: Can I make it so that the thumbnail is a picture within that gallery but yet still have the gallery password protected?

If yes, how and finally can I have so it is always the same picture from within that gallery and it be of my choosing?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 9, 2007
    crockett wrote:
    Hello,

Me: Smugmug account basic subscription

History: If I password protect a gallery it displays a picture of a pad lock for a thumnail for that particular gallery.

Problem/Request: Can I make it so that the thumbnail is a picture within that gallery but yet still have the gallery password protected?

If yes, how and finally can I have so it is always the same picture from within that gallery and it be of my choosing?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Yes, you can do this. Go into that gallery, find the photo you wish to have as the thumbnail, and underneath the photo, click on photo tools and then feature photo.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    Hi David,

Yes, you can do this. Go into that gallery, find the photo you wish to have as the thumbnail, and underneath the photo, click on photo tools and then feature photo.

Barb,

You're all right. Now for you next challenge if you choose to accept it.

On my main page I see categories. For example: Family (8 galleries). This thumnail now displays the photo that is featured on the first gallery. Out of the eight featured photos what if I don't want it to be the first galleries featured photo but say third galleries featured photo?

I went into the third gallery and under gallery options I select "feature gallery" thinking this would do it but it doesn't. In fact it seems to do nothing because it also asks what position I'd like the gallery to be in. For a test I selected #1 but that gallery still remains in position 3 and on my main page I still see the photo that is featured in the first gallery.

Can it be done?

Thanks agian.

David

P.S. I might as well add one more question. How you do rearrange the order of the gallery thumnails within a category? The site is kind of kludgy, you should just be able to drag and drop them. No?
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 9, 2007
    crockett wrote:
    Barb,

You're all right. Now for you next challenge if you choose to accept it.

On my main page I see categories. For example: Family (8 galleries). This thumnail now displays the photo that is featured on the first gallery. Out of the eight featured photos what if I don't want it to be the first galleries featured photo but say third galleries featured photo?

I went into the third gallery and under gallery options I select "feature gallery" thinking this would do it but it doesn't. In fact it seems to do nothing because it also asks what position I'd like the gallery to be in. For a test I selected #1 but that gallery still remains in position 3 and on my main page I still see the photo that is featured in the first gallery.

Can it be done?

Thanks agian.

David

P.S. I might as well add one more question. How you do rearrange the order of the gallery thumnails within a category? The site is kind of kludgy, you should just be able to drag and drop them. No?

Hi David, first, can we get a link to your site? Go ahead and add it into your signature and also in your profile (You!) in the upper left corner of the page. That way, it will always be easy to find you :)

The thumbnail on the home page is going to display the thumbnail (or featured photo) from the first gallery inside that category.

Gallery tools, feature gallery, is for the featured galleries box on your home page. You can feature up to four galleries that will reside in a separate box on your home page. If you do not see it, it is hidden in your control panel. You can show it on the home page by clicking on "show" in the upper right corner of that section.

On your home page, upper left of the galleries box, click on arrange by position. You will then be able to arrange your galleries using drag & drop.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    Hi David, first, can we get a link to your site? ......

Done. I've got it all arranged and working the way I want now. Thank you for your help. I put a link to my site in my signature but there is nothing to it right now because all the photos are only personal family photos. I'm sure I'll eventually make some public galleries.

David
  • wrollinswrollins Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    The thumbnail on the home page is going to display the thumbnail (or featured photo) from the first gallery inside that category.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for sometime... but alas, it is the way it is... rolleyes1.gif

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!!! thumb.gif