Options

About Domain Redirects

debjgdebjg Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 10, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
My domain name was purchased through godaddy, my domain hosting is through Site5. I'm wondering (before I pay for a pro account here) if there would be a problem using a subdomain name like galleries.domain.com to point to this site while my regular domain and other subdomains are already being directed to site5?

I don't feel computer savvy enough to design and implement my own proof / purchase portrait galleries at Site5 with the privacy and ordering features I would like but don't want to 'pay twice' and then find out there will be a problem directing to galleries here ...

Thanks in advance for any help!
debjg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    debjg wrote:
    My domain name was purchased through godaddy, my domain hosting is through Site5. I'm wondering (before I pay for a pro account here) if there would be a problem using a subdomain name like galleries.domain.com to point to this site while my regular domain and other subdomains are already being directed to site5?
    None whatsover :D
    I don't feel computer savvy enough to design and implement my own proof / purchase portrait galleries at Site5 with the privacy and ordering features I would like but don't want to 'pay twice' and then find out there will be a problem directing to galleries here ...

debjg
    It's all explained here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Holler if you have any more questions!
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    debjg wrote:

debjg

I have/had two sites. www.leiningerphotos.com and www.leiningerphotos.smugmug.com. I started with the first one, which had limited gallery options. Everything had to be done by me, take orders via paypal, blah, blah, blah.. After a couple of years of having the first site, I found SmugMug. I placed a Photo Gallery link on my site, which was of course my smug site. This year I decided to take on the "challenge" of making the smug site my only site. It only took a few nights without the rugrats bugging me, and some help from the experts here (Allen and Andy clap.gif ) to get it done.

I'm currently stopping the first site, and getting ready to redirect www.leiningerphotos.com to my smug site, so my name will be the same but my look will (is) be better! :D

If you get a pro account you will be able to do more than use your smug site as your gallery, as I had been doing, it can/will become all you need...at least it is for me. :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Just to preven possible confusion (or maybe create it), there are several ways of getting a domain name to 'point' to a different location. We support canonical names (CNAME), and you should set up your domain with a CNAME to www.smugmug.com, as explained here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

A 'redirect' is not the same thing, and your site should not be 'redirected' to your smugmug address.