private site/popular photos...

DaveRWDaveRW Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited March 9, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hey all,

I'm currently evaluating a power user account and have set up a customized site but want the access limited to family/friends as all of the photos are of that nature. I looked into the ways of doing this and the best seemed the private site feature so I put a password on the site but I can't seem to get any photos to show up as popular. Perhaps there is a certain minimum number of views/votes? Or does this not work on private sites like with other features (ie. keywords)?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 9, 2007
    DaveRW wrote:
    Hey all,

I'm currently evaluating a power user account and have set up a customized site but want the access limited to family/friends as all of the photos are of that nature. I looked into the ways of doing this and the best seemed the private site feature so I put a password on the site but I can't seem to get any photos to show up as popular. Perhaps there is a certain minimum number of views/votes? Or does this not work on private sites like with other features (ie. keywords)?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,
    One vote is all it takes to make the most popular section. The results you see are, as you surmised, due to the privacy of your site. Even if you enable photo ranking, images in private/password protected galleries and sites will not appear in your Popular Photos section. Just as they will not appear in Smugmug's Popular Photos of the day section. Good thing huh? thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DaveRWDaveRW Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2007
    Okay, at least that makessome sense to me. A little while ago I stumbled across a thread that had some discussion regarding private galleries and keywords (can't seem to find the thread anymore..). Does anyone have any info as to the status of these feautres working on private galleries/sites? Keywords are something I'd like, but popular photos are really a much bigger deal in my case at least.

I really don't want to unprotect the gallery due to the family nature of the photos but I hate to give up all of these great features.

David
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    DaveRW wrote:
    ....I really don't want to unprotect the gallery due to the family nature of the photos but I hate to give up all of these great features.

David

this dilema is well known and has had lots of recent discussion here
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6021
  • DaveRWDaveRW Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2007
    It seems to be..i'd wanted to post this in that thread originally but I couldn't find it. Of course right after this one got some responses I stumbled on that other thread. I added my 2 cents there but I seem to agree with that collective of voices.

Thanks for the link though!
    dmc wrote:
    this dilema is well known and has had lots of recent discussion here
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6021