Trying To Be Like Yuri

JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited March 15, 2007 in People
My First Post. So be kind. A couple of friends who stopped long enough to take a photo.

134902962-M.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    I like the poses and the smiles, they look pretty and happy.

Watch your backgrounds, this one's distractingly unattractive, more so because you have a deep depth of field and so everything's in focus. A smaller aperture might have been a better choice.

I think this is a nice start!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    My First Post. So be kind. A couple of friends who stopped long enough to take a photo.

134902962-M.jpg
    Priviet, Jester!
    Beautiful models.
    But this photo looks for me more like 'snapshot' then a photo, trying to show the beauty.
    a)First (before taking a picture) try to find out what is their beauty to you (eyes, figure, hair etc...).
    b)Then think (again before pressing knobe) how can you show this beauty to other people (I call it 'share someones beauty').
    c)So - if eyes (color for example) attracted your attention - to show their beauty a close-up portrait is needed..
    If figure - then think about pose in which if will shine!
    d) To concentrate on the main point you want to show think about the background - it must support your idea (for example blured by f-stops and zoom DOF background)
    e) Think about the point of shooting - not always your standard (you, standing with camera at your face) pose is good :-) Experiments are welcomed.

d) Light. First try natural light. Try to SEE the light on your future photo.

... I, for example, made my start from close-up portraits (made a lot of them) with natural light and only not so long ago I felt that I can start full height portraits...

Just some thoughts... Sorry for my didacticism :-)
    Yuri
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Yuri, excellent post!

Thanks for sharing your experience. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks guys. You are absolutely correct. And I value both of your opinions more than you will ever know. It is actually just a snapshot. I caught them just before they went in to sign calendars. You can't get them to stop for very long so it is hard to get things set on the camera. And it was just getting dark so had to use a flash. But they are beautiful girls aren't they?
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    I think we all want to be like Yuri. I applaud your outright going-for-it attitude! It's also very helpful to the rest of us, since we can all share Yuri's feedback!
    clap.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    A smaller aperture might have been a better choice.
    I kinda hate to do this, but I see this mistake all the time and, for the sake of beginners....

Smaller aperture; smaller "light hole" will increase the depth of field; background will be in better focus. This is larger f-number.

Larger aperture; larger "light hole"; decreased depth of field; background will be more blurry, out of focus. This is smaller f-number.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Great first shot! Pretty girls, great poses... Let's see more "Yuri" attempts!! :D
  • WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    I kinda hate to do this, but I see this mistake all the time and, for the sake of beginners....

Scott, I can't speak on behalf of any beginner except myself, and myself says...yay, thanks!! clap.gif I wrote down your simple explanation, and hope it will soon get burned into my brain. :)

happy day,

wren

PS---nice smiles on the girl's faces!
    edited March 12, 2007
    Great first shot! Pretty girls, great poses... Let's see more "Yuri" attempts!! :D
    OK - let's do it! Let's make this a full-on thread for "Trying To Be Like Yuri"!

Here's my completely unworthy entry:
    127847397-L.jpg

<edit> This is more of an accidental catch than a true attempt to channel Yuri. :) I think it might look better as a closer, square crop. What do you think!?
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Beautiful shots! And beautiful ladies!

Two tries from me. Both of them are 'semi' posed: No shot was setup before-hand, but the women knew that i was taking their picture at the moment (either they or i asked) and they posed.

3 pretty girls in Downtown Boston
    (met them while shooting some street-pics. They asked me if i could take their pic... well, i could not refuse :D)
    49089484-L.jpg

Gamelan dancer preparing for her dance:
    (I should have used some fill-flash here)
    68930596-L.jpg

Yuri, i hope you like them :D
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Yuri Rocks!!! ylsuper.gif
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
    edited March 12, 2007
    Yep, Looks like we are starting to find the beautiful women but none of our photos match Yuri's. ne_nau.gif His is so fantasticclap.gif I will be satisfied to get half as good as he is. I have been trying some of his techniques. Some I still don't understand. There are also some great techniques on DGrin. Practice, Practice, Practice. I guess our work is never donemwink.gif
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Yep, Looks like we are starting to find the beautiful women but none of our photos match Yuri's. ne_nau.gif His is so fantasticclap.gif I will be satisfied to get half as good as he is. I have been trying some of his techniques. Some I still don't understand. There are also some great techniques on DGrin. Practice, Practice, Practice. I guess our work is never donemwink.gif

You're right!

Yuri's trademark is the eyes, in my opinion (not to mention the beautiful ladies themselves :D). The eyes are always expressive, enormously expressive. Sharp, in focus and very very visible.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited March 12, 2007
    Okay, I have the solutionheadscratch.gif Let's have SMUGMUG bring Yuri to the United States for a seminarclap.gifclap.gif Then he can teach us all his techniques in person. If they will bring him to Orlando I can furnish the girls (I have connections with Hooters of Americamwink.gif ) All in favor say "AYE"
    edited March 12, 2007
    Aye!
    Like there's a snow-balls chance in hell my wife would let me jet off to Orlando to learn how to photograph beautiful women... Haha! But, I still say YES!
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Hi, JESTER

Nice photo and the ladies look great.
    Use photo shop to blur the background and it will not be so distracting.

Keep up the good work!clap.gif
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
    edited March 12, 2007
    My best friend and wife
    This is one I've posted a couple of times. Looking at some of the shots in this thread, I'm not the only to offer up repeats.

This is my wonderful best friend and wife of 26+ years. Here you can see some of her fun loving personality shine through. I think this conforms to the advice Yuri has offered us in post #3 about getting the character of the subject to show through.

86178253-M.jpg
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks Chuck....I will try that.

Scott, She probably has to be wonderful to put up with you for 26 years!:D Will she let you attend the seminar???rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited March 13, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    Thanks Chuck....I will try that.

Scott, She probably has to be wonderful to put up with you for 26 years!:D Will she let you attend the seminar???rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Oh you are just so funny!

Yeah, I get to go the Glacier in the fall. Really looking forward to it! In fact, she has encouraged me to go! It doesn't get much better than that!clap.gif
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Mine
    I'm not "Trying to be like Yuri." I have enough trouble being myself. I do always make it poit to visit his threads. I even hand a few saved on my hard drive to study offline.

117951460-M-1.jpg
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    OK - let's do it! Let's make this a full-on thread for "Trying To Be Like Yuri"!

127847397-L.jpg

<edit> This is more of an accidental catch than a true attempt to channel Yuri. :) I think it might look better as a closer, square crop. What do you think!?
    Why don't we have a look and see? Usual cavet: I'll delete the image if you don't want me to mess with your stuff.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited March 13, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    Why don't we have a look and see? Usual cavet: I'll delete the image if you don't want me to mess with your stuff.
    Interesting crop - I didn't crop the first shot at all, but a square crop did occur to me. I would have tried not to clip her shoulder, even if it meant her eyes weren't in the center.
    edited March 13, 2007
    Halliday wrote:
    I'm not "Trying to be like Yuri." I have enough trouble being myself. I do always make it poit to visit his threads. I even hand a few saved on my hard drive to study offline.

117951460-M-1.jpg
    Well, you've got the pretty girl part down. I think this particular shot could use some [thread=25424]pop[/thread], if you don't mind...
    This was just Auto Levels - I'm sure folks here could illicit better skin tones, etc.
    lancesueyrw4.jpg
    edited March 13, 2007
    Interesting but she seems green to me now.
    www.lanceshuey.com

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Halliday wrote:
    Interesting but she seems green to me now.

i think you should calibrate your monitor asap. your original was lacking contrast, nimai did a good job fixing that and i think the color looks good. i would maybe even give it some more contrast.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    On my monitors (one is an LCD, one a CRT) Halliday's image seem somewhat washed out (lacking contrast?) and slightly blue. The image as Post Processed by Nimai seems to have better skin tones and more pop (more contrast?).

Perhaps you should check your monitor? Just sayin'
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited March 14, 2007
    Just a few days ago I started using a huey. I have noticed things are different now.

Edit: After more thinking I am almost appalled at myself and the difference from "pre-huey" and "post-huey." Might just be me too.
    Another example, from 2 days ago with a much better lens than the other shot:

135935198-M-1.jpg
    www.lanceshuey.com

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nimai
    Nimai wrote:

127847397-L.jpg

Oh, I like it very much!
    Mainly cause of Naturalness.
    If you dont mind - just an advice.
    Some places on her face look too bright.
    I use Harry's (Behret) method here -
    1. Copy layer
    2. Set 'multiply' blending mode
    3. Gaussan blur 0.4 - 20 (you'll see what i'll need)
    4. Set transparency to what you need (30%?)
    I use this method very often.

Thank you Harry!!!!
    Yuri