New URL

pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited September 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
If i change my web address and my site name will all those going to my old address be redirected automatically?
Pete W
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    pete w wrote:
    If i change my web address and my site name will all those going to my old address be redirected automatically?
    You mean, if you change wraight.smugmug.com to somethingelse.smugmug.com, will the people visiting wraight.smugmug.com be redirected to your new account? No, I'm sorry. It's a different address, there is no redirecting.
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Ok what about if i cahnge the name to
    www.xxxxxx.com a new domain, can this redirect?
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    pete w wrote:
    www.xxxxxx.com a new domain, can this redirect?
    Usually you can not change a custom domain, it depends on the registrar.

You can register a new domain, have that CNAMEd to your SmugMug account. Your old, you could redirect to your new custom hostname. Even though we don't officially support it, it should work.
    edited March 10, 2007
    Thanks Ivar
    I will give it a try.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    You mean, if you change wraight.smugmug.com to somethingelse.smugmug.com, will the people visiting wraight.smugmug.com be redirected to your new account? No, I'm sorry. It's a different address, there is no redirecting.
    However, and gallery and photo links you have previously given, will continue to work.
    edited March 10, 2007
    Thanks Andy.
    Working on a couple of projects.

Linking my current Smugmug account to a new URL

opening up another Smugmug pro account to sell to a particular market with a new URL link, and some major modification to the site.

Will be posting here when i get into difficulty.

Thanks Again.
    Pete W
    Henri Cartier Bresson

• dvdmondvdmon Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    However, and gallery and photo links you have previously given, will continue to work.

Andy, what about links to categories and subcategories?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    dvdmon wrote:
    Andy, what about links to categories and subcategories?
    It'll all work thumb.gif
    dvdmon wrote:
    Sweet! clap.gif

Hmmm, I just tried changing my url from wallachexpressions to wallachville. When I now try to go to wallachexpressions.smugmug.com\Levi (one of my categories), it redirects to www.smugmug.com. I tried a Subcategory (http://wallachville.smugmug.com/Levi/370501), and it similarly redirects to Smugmug's home page. Finally, I picked an individual gallery and that DID work. But the category and subcategory addresses did not. :(