How to use flash in manual mode ??

harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited March 10, 2007 in Technique
Just need some advise on how to use my Sunpak 383 and FL50 in manual mode. Everytime I think I've got it I just seem to screw things up, so just wanted to some help!

Cheers

HarjTT

:D :thumb

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 10, 2007
    The old reliable method - divide the guide number of the flash for the ISO you are using, and use that value for the aperture. Leave your shutter speed at 1/200th with your camera in full manual mode.

Or measure the flash output with an incident flash meter like the Sekonic 358 and use that to set your aperture. Camera in manual mode.

The method some folks use with a digital camera - shoot off a few frames at ~f5.6, 1/200th ISO 200 and look at the hisotgram to see how the exposure looks. If the histogram is to the right and indicates underexposure, open up the aperture. If overexposed, close the aperture, or move the flash further back. Two or three shots should get you dialed in.

The exposure is entirely a function of the flash to subject distance, so if the flash to subject distance does not change the exposure should not need changing, regardless what the camera to subject distance is.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin