17-85is HELP

ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited March 12, 2007 in Cameras
Hi,

I think IS is not working...
I am not hearing the usual "noise" that it makes.

Any tips, suggestions... HELP???

Can it be repaired?

Thanks
Sheila

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    ShebaJo wrote:
    Hi,

I think IS is not working...
    I am not hearing the usual "noise" that it makes.

Any tips, suggestions... HELP???

Can it be repaired?

Thanks
    Sheila
    I don't think that mine ever made any noise when the IS was on. Why not do a test. Put it at 85 mm with IS on in low light or with the aperture stopped way down. If you can get decent hand-held pics at 1/125s down to 1/30s or so then your IS is working. If not, maybe take it to a shop.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 11, 2007
    Is it turned on?

It has happened to me before...

Sometimes the switch on the lens barrel gets switched off for no obvious reason - my fingers just seem to knudge it sometimesne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and the photographer had put scotch tape over the switches.

I asked why, and he said with handing the camera over between several assistants, it would sometimes switch off either the IS or the Auto Focusing. Having caused a missed shot, he decided to go one step further and tape them to the on position.

I find them hard to push, but probably easy to do accidently!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited March 12, 2007
    Hi George,

I'm not alone, nor am I crazy after all:D:D

Usually, with IS on, when using longer lenses ( 85 ought to count on an APS sensored camera) you can easily see the image stabilize after about 1/2 sec when the shutter is depressed half way while handholding. On a tripod it will be less noticeable and not needed of course.

If IS is not activating when turned on, I would remove the lens, and very carefully clean the contacts and remount the lens and try again. I might use a small drop of alcohol (just moist, not wet ) on a cotton swab very carefully to clean the contacts. If that doesn't work, I would cantact Canon Factory Service for advice and/or repair.

• ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Thanks all. ;)

IS is definitely on. I have tried it on, off, removing lens, back on, trying switch on and off again.

I did a minor contact clean, almost half alcohol with distilled water, barely wet tip. I will try it again, more alcohol... more bravely, less shakey this time. ;)

Since the clean, I am hearing a little noise, way less than before. I still don't hear the shift when I pick up the camera like I did.

I just tried looking through the viewfinder, at 85... nothing obvious, but I did get a bit of a dizzy, motion sickness feel... so that may be good. Right? ;)

The lens is definitely not working like it did... can the IS just be getting older, it is just over 2.5 years old. Do lenses need tune-ups?

No camera stores close to check it out, Denver and Salt Lake are about 3.5 hours. I hate to mail it to Canon, but will if needed.

So... do you think I am safe to wait, or better to send to Canon now?

Thanks
    edited March 12, 2007
    If it is not working as you describe, I would contact Canon Factory Service - I suspect they will want to see it and service it.

It should not fail after two years unless dropped or mistreated.

I do not believe it slowly degrades either. It works, or it doesn't. JMO of course.

• ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Thanks

I didn't think it should deteriorate either. It hasn't been dropped, is treated with $400 worth of respect. ;)

I have never had a problem with any of my equipment... no experience with Canon repair. Are they good, fix the problems, not try to run up costs?

In your opinion...is it worth trying to have the lens repaired? When is cost of repair too high to warrant fixing... vs just buying new.

I was ready to start buying Ls, starting with 70-200 2.8... wise to replace or repair the 17-85? more wise to just go L? The 17-85 does still work.

Sorry for all the questions... I wish I had enough money that it didn't matter. ;)

sj
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 12, 2007
    ShebaJo wrote:
    Thanks

I didn't think it should deteriorate either. It hasn't been dropped, is treated with $400 worth of respect. ;)

I have never had a problem with any of my equipment... no experience with Canon repair. Are they good, fix the problems, not try to run up costs?

In your opinion...is it worth trying to have the lens repaired? When is cost of repair too high to warrant fixing... vs just buying new.

I was ready to start buying Ls, starting with 70-200 2.8... wise to replace or repair the 17-85? more wise to just go L? The 17-85 does still work.

Sorry for all the questions... I wish I had enough money that it didn't matter. ;)

sj

Sheila,

If you feel you have a good copy of the lens, and if you feel the IS is important, I would recommend at least sending the lens in for an appraisal. There is no single "L" series lens with the particular range of 17-85mm, so you would probably need 2 lenses in the "L" series.

If you really are looking to go "L", look at the 17-40mm, f4L, and the 24-105mm, f4L to give similar range.

Since you are a "crop" camera user, you might also look at the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and then the 70-200mm "L" in any flavor that suits you. While the 17-55mm, f2.8 is not an "L" lens, it's about as good as gets in the EF-S lenses.

Once you look at actual prices for replacement, you may find your decision made for you.

Best,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums