Ski Racing

PowderHoarPowderHoar Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited March 11, 2007 in Sports
Telemark Ski Racing. US Nationals at Steamboat Springs Colorado.

TeleRacer87.jpg

I like how the gate frames this racer's head:
teleRacer81.jpg

I shoot at a high shutter speed 1000 - 2000, sometimes on the auto/sports function, although I shoot manual more and more.
Tips are always appreciated!
It's a sick world and I'm a happy guy!

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    You appear to be underexposed. I always shoot snowboarding at +.7ev to +1.3ev. You'll get a bit more detail in the face and better colors in the race suits. The best way to determine overexposure is through experience, but use the blinky mode that shows overexposed areas. You want to see some overexposure in the snow. If you shoot raw and overdo it a bit, you can always back it off some. Your WB looks pretty good, but on the blue side. An expo disc is great for snow, and a coffee filter works pretty well too. Better exposure will allow you to be off and it won't matter as much.
    Typical sports stuff, but tighter crops are always better. Most race courses don't offer much to look at. You really want to see the athlete and if possible a great facial expression. Most races in the US are under attended and have very few people policing the courses. If you know a coach or an official, you'll have little difficulty getting on the course and right next to the action. I shoot races with a 24 to 120mm lens quite a bit, but getting to 200mm or even 400mm gains a lot more opportunities for good shots.

Keep trying. It took me about 4 or 5 races before I started to feel like I sort of knew what I was doing.

You can view some shots from the Copper Mtn Race to the cup at: http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/2166230#P-1-15
    and: http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/2166289#112503727
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!