Fairly urgent help needed.

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited March 12, 2007 in People
Hi,

I've taken this shot of my mother-in-law's father and we'd like to give her a framed print for Mothers' Day.

Any critique on how to make this image better would be gratefully received. The nasty black blobs in the background are unfortunately flash shadows, should I try and change the background, if so how easy would this be?

Also, is the B/W conversion working, how can I improve it and other comments on preparing this image before print would be very much appreciated.

135186190-L.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    I would print nearly as is. The B&W looks good, the background is fine. The expression is great. The only thing I would tweek is the brightness of the shirt. I would tone that down a little bit so it is not competing with the face so much. Then it's off to print!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks Shay, what would I do, select the shirt with the lasso tool and then lower its lightness value?

Charlie
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    If you shot it in RAW, make a second exposure wih the shirt not as bright, make the second exposure a second layer, make a mask and brush in the shirt.

If not shot in RAW, make a duplicate layer, bring down the brightness, again make a mask and brush in the shirt.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    If you shot it in RAW, make a second exposure wih the shirt not as bright, make the second exposure a second layer, make a mask and brush in the shirt.

If not shot in RAW, make a duplicate layer, bring down the brightness, again make a mask and brush in the shirt.

15524779-Ti.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks guys, I did shoot in Raw so I'll have a go.

Charlie
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Hi Charlie,

Easy to do. You can recover a lot of the blown shirt, and even some of his eyebrow hairs :)

You can do it in raw, sure- or you can use CS2's shadow/highlight and only recover the highlights on the shirt, by using a layer mask. And take a tiny bit away from the shine on the face. Your first edit on the right.

135264547-L.jpg135186190-L.jpg
    edited March 12, 2007
    Thanks Andy,

That's excellent work, I think I need to stop taking pictures for a while and sit down and learn some photoshop so I'm not put off attempting these things.

Charlie
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    use CS2's shadow/highlight and only recover the highlights on the shirt, by using a layer mask.
    "Layer Mask. Layer Mask. Must learn to use Layer Masks..." Haha-
    I love the shadow/highlight tool, but I never use Layer Masks... and I've been using Photoshop for years!
    One of these days...
    edited March 12, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    I love the shadow/highlight tool, but I never use Layer Masks... and I've been using Photoshop for years!
    One of these days...

The layer mask will quite literally change your world. Even if you had to take time off work, it would be worth it. Don't edit another photo until you learn layer masking.
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    The layer mask will quite literally change your world. Even if you had to take time off work, it would be worth it. Don't edit another photo until you learn layer masking.
    Sir, yes sir! :D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    One of these days...
    Oh, man, it opens up a whole new world.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    One of these days...
    Use our tutorials :)
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284