Problem with protected galleries

rebeccaorebeccao Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited March 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've uploaded a new gallery and protected it but when I log out and check the gallery it is accessable without a password.

I went ahead and checked the rest of my protected galleries and now they all seem to be "open" and accessable without passwords. When I know for a fact they have been protected all along.

Is there a glitch in the system, or in my brain?

BTW I'm using Firefox as my browser.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm, seems to be only with my "schools" AHS galleries.

www.rebeccaolivera.smugmug.com

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    protected or password?
    rebeccao wrote:
    I've uploaded a new gallery and protected it but when I log out and check the gallery it is accessable without a password.

I went ahead and checked the rest of my protected galleries and now they all seem to be "open" and accessable without passwords. When I know for a fact they have been protected all along.

Any suggestions?

What do you mean by "protected"? In the customize gallery screen, a protected gallery has "right click protection" which has nothing to do with who can view your gallery, only who can right-click save your photos.

If you want password protection, then make sure you've specified a password for each gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 11, 2007
    rebeccao wrote:

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

If you set the same password on multiple galleries, anyone who enters it will automatically be granted access to all galleries who share the identical password.

For convenience, SmugMug remembers that you are authorized to visit a gallery once you have correctly entered the password. You can revisit the gallery, provided you do so on the same computer, for 24 hours without having to enter it again. Anyone who visits the gallery for the first time, however, will be asked for the password even if you're not.

So if you were logged out and entered the password, that is why you were not asked for it again.

I did check your galleries, and they are password protected just fine. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • rebeccaorebeccao Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2007
    Thanks
    Jfriend, I ment Password protected, and the galleries I was concerned about are defined with a password as well as right click protected.

Thanks Barb. As long as you can't enter those galleries I'm sure I'm fine.

I do have my "schools" galleries password protected but when I was logging in and out to check my price list I noticed that it wasn't asking me for the password any longer.

I cleared my cache, closed my browser, even rebooted but I could still get in without putting in the password. I was just getting paranoid that my protected galleries were no longer protected.

Thanks again for you quick response :)
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    rebeccao wrote:
    I cleared my cache, closed my browser, even rebooted but I could still get in without putting in the password. I was just getting paranoid that my protected galleries were no longer protected.

Thanks again for you quick response :)

If you clear your cookies (no need to clear the cache), then it will force you to login again. Or, perhaps even easier, since you're using Firefox, you can just try your gallery out with IE and it should prompt you for the password since you've never supplied the password with IE.

Many of us here use two browsers, once for our login work and one that we never login to to see how it works for our visitors.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question