Options

San Diego Portrait Session

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited March 12, 2007 in People
In January I had a chance to go visit family in San Diego. I wanted to take some portraits of my sister and brother-in-law, so we went to Balboa park. It was a cloudy day, so I kept the composition as free of sky as I could manage.

My brother-in-law Rob, really hates his picture taken. Too self conscious. So I tried some with him looking away from the camera, and that seemed to make him more relaxed.

So, I now present portions of Balboa park in the dead of winter hehehe

baray014.jpg

baray028.jpg

baray036.jpg

baray045.jpg

baray061.jpg
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Ooh, the last one rocks.

Thanks for explaining your methodology, it helps a lot.

I notice you choose to leave a lot of headroom in #2 and #3. Could you explain your thinking?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Ooh, the last one rocks.

Thanks for explaining your methodology, it helps a lot.

I notice you choose to leave a lot of headroom in #2 and #3. Could you explain your thinking?

Room for cropping 8x10's. Nothing worse than not having enough room to crop mwink.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    #4 & 5 are awesome! I just love those two... Especially that your BIL looks so relaxed and great in that 4th shot.

#3 looks like the focus was on the tree behind.

I like #2, but don't love it. They don't look really relaxed like they do in #5.

I really like #1 if it's to be blown up large. I think in a small print they would be lost, but in a large it would be gorgeous....

Wonderful series!
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2007
    #3 looks like the focus was on the tree behind.
    I'll take another look at that one, it might be an optical illusion, but I'll check to make sure.

edit: I checked and there is a slight amount of backfocus., though it looks more exaggerated than it is in the small photo above. Thank you for spotting that.
    I like #2, but don't love it. They don't look really relaxed like they do in #5.
    I must have chosen that one as the family snap-shooter in me, one of those shots only a family member would really enjoy :D Looking at it now I can definitely see the snapshot look.
    I really like #1 if it's to be blown up large. I think in a small print they would be lost, but in a large it would be gorgeous....
    Large would be my suggestion too.
    Wonderful series!
    Thanks for looking and commenting :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Shay...

#1 & #5 are my faves. I like #3 too, the more I look at it the more I like it. His expression is great, although photogmomma is right, she seems a tad stiff.

I'm curious about the styling....the satin vs. oxford texture is odd, and the pink/blue combination is a bit overt. :smack

Balboa park is a great spot, btw!

I definitely agree the first one would be great enlarged, and the last would be good at any size. What an attractive couple.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Such a nice looking couple. Your sis definitely has your engaging smile! You did a great job hiding the fact it was gloomy. Other than you mentioning it, it never crossed my mind looking at the shots. #4 and #5 are my favorites. Your brother-in-law may relax after seeing how great he looks in these shots. Thanks for posting these, it's always neat to see what the pros are doing!!! :saurora
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I'm curious about the styling....the satin vs. oxford texture is odd, and the pink/blue combination is a bit overt. :smack
    Well, you know, it's California mwink.gif

Balboa park is a great spot, btw!
    I was hoping to find something that is as close as possible to Central park for variety, and such. And it turns out that Balboa park works out very very nicely. I was very satisfied using that location.

Thank you for the comments!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Your brother-in-law may relax after seeing how great he looks in these shots. Thanks for posting these, it's always neat to see what the pros are doing!!! :saurora
    I have been shooting him over the years, and there is just a instinctual aversion to photos with him. You have to almost sneak up on him in a way. So if I want a shot of him, I have spend maybe five minutes. The first 4 minutes is just wearing him out, and the last minute, he starts to relax a bit, but only flashes of it. So I have burn through quite a few frames to get anything worthwhile of him.

This was a couple of years ago (pardon the old watermark)
    temecula087.jpg

It was the first good photo of him he had gotten, and it got us all excited to try more hehehe. Maybe in a few years he will be able to give two minute worth of photos at a time hahahaha
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    #4 & #5
    I love #4 for the lighting - I just think it's great. And, you BIL looks relaxed and confident. Very well done.

#5, like everyone has said, their pesonalities have surfaced very nicely in this one.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    I love #4 for the lighting - I just think it's great. And, you BIL looks relaxed and confident. Very well done.
    One nice thing can be said for overcast skys, the lighting can be very attractive. If it were'nt for that, I would really hate overcast. But as it is, I have to admit I don't hate it totally hehehe
    #5, like everyone has said, their pesonalities have surfaced very nicely in this one.
    That seems to be one of the favorites in the family too.

Jen was just saying to me "Shay, next time you should just post the best stuff, why post the picture where they don't look so comfortable?" but I like to hear the comments about the good and not so good too. It's easy to fall in love with your own work. And like it says in my sig, failure is feedback, and feedback is the breakfast of champions mwink.gif
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    OK, at the risk of being pelted with overripe tomatoes, I must say I disagree on number 5. I do love their embrace, and the natural, happy expressions, along with the lovely setting and lighting...but I just cannot get past the black pants. To me, the darkness of the pants and how they are standing makes it seems that they are conjoined at the hip. Those pants catch my eye, and I have a difficult time looking away from them. I have read such praise for this photo from the others that I am now wondering what is wrong with ME, hehe. ne_nau.gif

I LOVE numbers 2 and 4, however. Re: number 2: Snapshotty, bah! If a picture of two strangers smiling can make ME smile, I deem it a wondrous thing. I heavily enjoy smiling, and it is clear they are having a good time and are so in love. iloveyou.gif

Number four is also so nice; he is quite photogenic, and I hope he starts letting you take more and more shots, and warms up for you more easily, heh. I like that I cannot truly tell whether or not you 'posed' him like that. Fantastic! clap.gif

The first is nice too, and that I will agree with the others that a nice big 'ole print will look grand.

Thanks for letting me share (*wipes tomato gunk off her face*), I feel ever so much better now. :D

happy day,

wren
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    ...but I just cannot get past the black pants. To me, the darkness of the pants and how they are standing makes it seems that they are conjoined at the hip. Those pants catch my eye, and I have a difficult time looking away from them. I have read such praise for this photo from the others that I am now wondering what is wrong with ME, hehe. ne_nau.gif
    Hahahaha, this really made my day. Now when I look at it all I see is the mutant embracers from space!!!! They do kind of blend together into a "one flesh" type of thing. You may have tainted my perception forever hahaha.

I really enjoyed your comments, thank you! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Hahahaha, this really made my day. Now when I look at it all I see is the mutant embracers from space!!!! They do kind of blend together into a "one flesh" type of thing. You may have tainted my perception forever hahaha.

I really enjoyed your comments, thank you! clap.gif

I just got off the phone with my sister and told her about the black pants observation. Her reply was:

Oh my god I know, I was looking at that and thought, we are never going to both wear black pants like that again!

We had a good time laughing :D
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Oh my god I know, I was looking at that and thought, we are never going to both wear black pants like that again!

Hehehe, glad I could help you see the pic in a different way, and that you and your sister got some amusement from it. rolleyes1.gif

happy day,

wren