Options

Hanging On

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited March 13, 2007 in People
Another one of my crazy daughters at the playground. C&C welcome.

135299742-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    That is a cool angle on that shot. And your daughter looks good, too!

I am coastal SC, glad to see your shot! ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    It's a great shot, but it's pretty obvious that you did a lot of PSing down at the bottom and around her hand. Other than that, I LOVE it! :D
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    Nifty angle and expression! Parts of the grass look a little odd, but that's no biggie. Always happy to see pics of your kids.

happy day,

wren
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    You're the unexpected angle man today, David!

This one feels very fresh, very alive. Great expression, super job on the skin tones, it's a very nice shot.

As usual, I'd be tempted to crop it a bit tighter.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement Ginger, Andi, Wren and Sid. The bottom part of the shot had sand which was actually more distracting than the poorly cloned grass. I'm not to good at PS. Does anyone know of a tutorial on cloning or would be able to offer some suggestions on how to do it better? Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    kusek24kusek24 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    the pic makes me feel like she's cliffhanging. Great shot!
    BOD Nikon D200 GLASS AF Nikkor 24-120 VR; AF Nikkor ED 18-35mm 3.5; AF Nikkor 35-70mm 3.3; AF Nikkor ED 80-200mm 2.8; AF Nikkor ED 70-300mm 4: FLASH SB-800
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement Ginger, Andi, Wren and Sid. The bottom part of the shot had sand which was actually more distracting than the poorly cloned grass. I'm not to good at PS. Does anyone know of a tutorial on cloning or would be able to offer some suggestions on how to do it better? Thanks again everyone.
    That's a lot of ground to clone.

They say the best way to clone is with a small brush, and constantly change your source, so as to avoid patterns. I've had luck doing that with small areas.

But that's gonna be hard to execute when the grass closer to the camera is supposed to be bigger than the more distant grass. I wouldn't be able to do it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    The un-cloned original has to be easier on the eyes than this. I've learned this about cloning...if you can't make it 99% undetectable, you're better off not doing it at all.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Thanks for the compliment Kusek. Thanks for the advise Sid and Lynne. Here is the uncloned version.

135563030-L.jpg
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    It's a really fun angle and your daughter looks so natural. The sand doesn't distract me at all...better than the cloned grass! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    I like the original better. The cloning job was poor. On a topic of cloning, for the best result, you must zoom in your picture as far as you can see pixels go, and use tiny brush to clone with colors that near your cloned area, it's very tidius job, especially with grass or anything that has different shades.

What were you trying to clone and why? I like it like it is. Good shot!clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 13, 2007
    very nice, david-

I think the sand is fine; it is a playground-
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    very nice, david-

I think the sand is fine; it is a playground-

i like the original, too. It seems like it would also work well in black and white if the sand still bothered you...in that case it might actually add to the shot...great job on the playground, you're getting some fun shots!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions, comments and compliments Saurora, Marina, George and Lynne. I'm pretty embarrassed about the cloning. rolleyes1.gif I've read that your eyes go to the light areas in a photo and I did not want the sand competing for attention with my daughter. I'm glad to hear it is not. I still have a lot to learn.

Lynne, I tried black and white, but no matter how I did it she seemed to blend in with the background. I'm not too good at conversions yet though.