Options

My niece at Moomba

KattKatt Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited March 15, 2007 in People
This is my 2 year old niece Samantha and my 11 year old nephew Sean. I took them both out for a day at the Moomba Festival in Melbourne, Australia. (Moomba an Aboriginal word that means: Let's get together and have fun).

135103415-M.jpg

135103412-M.jpg

Still an absolute beginner with photography. Just now learning to fiddle with Aperture.

Comments

• Options
    bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I think that these are nice candid captures! I like the tight cropping on the first one and there is nothing wrong with getting a little ice cream on the face on a hot day. There are maybe a few blown highlights in that first one, but you almost had to do that to get a proper exposure "under the hat" so the speak.

I like the off center composition on the second one......and it is a pretty even exposure as well. These look to be taken around mid-day, when shadows are pretty harsh - so considering the less than optimal shooting circumstances - it looks to me like you did a fine job.

Thanks for sharing these....
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    I think that these are nice candid captures! I like the tight cropping on the first one and there is nothing wrong with getting a little ice cream on the face on a hot day. There are maybe a few blown highlights in that first one, but you almost had to do that to get a proper exposure "under the hat" so the speak.

I like the off center composition on the second one......and it is a pretty even exposure as well. These look to be taken around mid-day, when shadows are pretty harsh - so considering the less than optimal shooting circumstances - it looks to me like you did a fine job.

Thanks for sharing these....

Thanks for that! You made me look more closely at the photos to see how I could have done better and that's what I want.
    I have a feeling I'm going to get hooked on this photography thingy.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    It's always difficult with such strong sun and shadow, you caught some nice images, particularly the first one. It's worth trying some fill flash to balance the exposure in sunny conditions.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    It's always difficult with such strong sun and shadow, you caught some nice images, particularly the first one. It's worth trying some fill flash to balance the exposure in sunny conditions.

Charlie

Cool. Using flash doesn't automatically come to mind on a bright sunny day but I'll try that next time when the shadows are too deep in contrast.

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Katt wrote:
    This is my 2 year old niece Samantha and my 11 year old nephew Sean. I took them both out for a day at the Moomba Festival in Melbourne, Australia. (Moomba an Aboriginal word that means: Let's get together and have fun).

Still an absolute beginner with photography. Just now learning to fiddle with Aperture.

Hi Katt, I've never been to a Moomba Festival, we used to watch the parade on TV, I don't think they show it any more.

I guess like everything over the years they sort of loose all the hype.
    but a fun day out for the family :D and that's gotta be a good thing clap.gif

Did you get to see th Bird Man event? that would be fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Yes - fill flash - especially when the sun is directly overhead and really improve the look of some shots. That was a good suggestion. I probably would not have used it on the first one, but it could have removed some shadows from the second.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Katt, I've never been to a Moomba Festival, we used to watch the parade on TV, I don't think they show it any more.

I guess like everything over the years they sort of loose all the hype.
    but a fun day out for the family :D and that's gotta be a good thing clap.gif

Did you get to see th Bird Man event? that would be fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing........ Skippy

Do you know, we went specifically for the Birdman rally as its my and my nephews favourite but we missed it by 20 minutes. I couldn't find what time it was on. Damn.

I remember watching the parade on t.v. as a kid as well, haven't seen it in ages.

Was a good day but really hard to maneouvre that pram amongst thousands. The kids loved it.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Yes - fill flash - especially when the sun is directly overhead and really improve the look of some shots. That was a good suggestion. I probably would not have used it on the first one, but it could have removed some shadows from the second.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    cute kids-

it's definitely hard to think of flash on a sunny day-

I think they're pretty neat shots-