Eep! Will you help me decide on an LPS direction?

WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited March 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello,

It is no secret I am a super n00b when it comes to photography. Still, I wanted to experience the challenge and reality check/ego popper of entering the LPS contest. I had a few ideas, and got a start with them on Thursday.

For this one, I only had time to get one shot before I was chased away from some official-type person in a truck. It seems I was in a restricted area. :huh

1) EXIF

134677096-M.jpg

I found a more law-abiding place to resume taking pics:

2) EXIF

134674167-M.jpg

Next, I thought I would go for a 'chilled-out' look. So far this is my least favorite idea, and if for whatever reason ya'll convinced me to go this route, I would likely reshoot it. Still, for comparison and stuff:

3) EXIF

134676427-M.jpg

After that, it was back to do something steamy. I recruited a couple of friends and we headed to the gym. I usually go to the gym during the day (as do my friends), so we were not prepared for the rush of people in the locker room. This made keeping the door to the wet steam room open awkward ("why is it SO hot in here tonight??"), and a little strange to shoot with a handful of people around, though no one else was using that steam room. I only got a few shots before someone told me to put the camera away, that she did not feel comfortable taking a shower (not near where the steam room, and my lens, were pointing, incidentally) with me having the camera out. That is fair, so I put it away and we are going to do a reshoot on Wednesday. This is really not the direction I wanted to go with them talking and laughing, so stay tuned for a reshoot pic in a couple of days. Yet I wanted to start getting feedback on the general ideas (next one will hopefully be more contemplative and less happy looking, heh), so here we go:

4) The original

134677359-M.jpg

5) Cropped and Converted

134678568-M.jpg

Lastly, I hope to be adding a shot or two of a nearby refinery at night. As a friend said, the place looks like a futuristic city at night.

I would muchly appreciate your comments and critique on these shots, and which direction you feel I should most explore. It will all help, as will taking some more shots at the sauna, and the aforementioned night shot.

happy day,

wren

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Hope this helps you eventually decide:

1. The steam from the cooling towers is an OK idea, but certainly nothing original. Also, I think to get the best effect, the B&W conversion is the way to go, but the contrast also needs to be beefed up to really give the steam some definition. Finally, to me, the steam from a cooling tower or power turbine tower says "steam" but it doesn't say "steamy" if you know what I mean (but that may be just me).

2. The idea of the kids chilling-out is more original, I'm just not sure that the way you've currently captured it has a strong association between the image and the message. But definitely an idea I think could work.

3. The sauna idea was one I had also thought of and it both contains steam, but goes beyond that to also include a sense of heat and sweat. That to me seems to be a much more steamy image than the cooling towers.

So if it helps, I think drop the cooling tower idea and continue working on the other two.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    I'd go for the first steam room shot but crop off the door frame - the colour is far better than the B&W.
    Hope this helps you eventually decide:

1. The steam from the cooling towers is an OK idea, but certainly nothing original. Also, I think to get the best effect, the B&W conversion is the way to go, but the contrast also needs to be beefed up to really give the steam some definition. Finally, to me, the steam from a cooling tower or power turbine tower says "steam" but it doesn't say "steamy" if you know what I mean (but that may be just me).

2. The idea of the kids chilling-out is more original, I'm just not sure that the way you've currently captured it has a strong association between the image and the message. But definitely an idea I think could work.

3. The sauna idea was one I had also thought of and it both contains steam, but goes beyond that to also include a sense of heat and sweat. That to me seems to be a much more steamy image than the cooling towers.

So if it helps, I think drop the cooling tower idea and continue working on the other two.

Regards,

Peter
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Before you take the camera back into the locker room, you may want to talk to the management there. Mabye arrange to take the photos just after closing, or a few minutes before. There may be rules/laws against taking cameras, including cell phone cameras, into locker rooms.

If someone, such as the person who felt uncomfortable taking a shower with the camera near by, decided to call the police it's entirely possible you could face a charge of disorderly conduct....since your actions alarmed and disturbed them.

Better safe than sorry I say.

But if you can work it out with the gym, try the sauna thing.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks for your advice and comments, Peter, Adrian and Jeffro. I will take them all to heart!

happy day,

wren
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    134677096-M.jpg

i like this shot a lot! i'm glad to see a shot like this because i was going to do it but now i'm going to do something else. along the new jersey turnpike, this is a very common sight and the other day the steam was rising all the way to the clouds, and i didn't have my camera.:cry

anyway, this is my favorite of yours. nice work! thumb.gif
  • WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Meh, I won't be able to take any more sauna pics, and my night-time photo taking skills are very low. I have ruled out the ones with the kids chilling out, at least. I am going to try another daytime refinery shot from a different perspective; a friend says she has a great view of it from her backyard, heh.

In the meantime, should I be considering either of these, or no: (a friend said, 'that does not say steamy to me, it says FIRE'. Oops.)

136524797-M.jpg

136525463-M.jpg

happy day,

wren
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    steamy...
    Your first shot is my favorite out of the series... I like the symmetry of the cooling towers... to bad you can't go back to the steam room I think that would be the shot!... your friends are right about the night shots...

Good luck!thumb.gif Winston