Options

hi-key daughter

sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited March 16, 2007 in People
I figured I'd hop in with my first image post here, as much to see if I can get a picture posted properly as to get constructive C&C...

Here ya go, feel free to comment, critique, or rework and repost with your suggestions and tips:
131668567-L.jpg

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Must say, I don't have anything constructive to add to the photo.

It stands on it's own as far as I'm concerned. Great capture and treatment.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    I figured I'd hop in with my first image post here, as much to see if I can get a picture posted properly as to get constructive C&C...

Here ya go, feel free to comment, critique, or rework and repost with your suggestions and tips:

personally, i'm not fond of BW conversions that darken the eyes so heavily. What color are the children's eyes? If they're blue, I think you should adjust the blue channel differently in PS, or possibly start with a better exposed photo. If they're brown, you can try masking them and adjusting contrast independently....
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    It reminds be of that movie, AI. Very dramatic.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    LynieLynie Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    personally, i'm not fond of BW conversions that darken the eyes so heavily. What color are the children's eyes? If they're blue, I think you should adjust the blue channel differently in PS, or possibly start with a better exposed photo. If they're brown, you can try masking them and adjusting contrast independently....

I agree, it would look neat if the eyes popped a bit...blue, green....Nice shot though!
    Lynie
    ~Life is like photography. You use the negatives to develop.~
    -Anonymous-
    :thumb

• Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:

Thanks very much... I appreciate the feedback. Her eyes are blue, but they are a very dark blue, a shade or two lighter than Navy perhaps. I like the way you're thinking though, and I'm going to go back to the RAW and see what I can pull from it. Thanks again!

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Must say, I don't have anything constructive to add to the photo.

It stands on it's own as far as I'm concerned. Great capture and treatment.

Regards,

Peter

I really appreciate your feedback, Peter. Thank you.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    It reminds be of that movie, AI. Very dramatic.

Thanks for the look and comment, Jen!

• Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Lynie wrote:
    I agree, it would look neat if the eyes popped a bit...blue, green....Nice shot though!

Cool beans! I will see what I can do.

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 13, 2007
    To me it feels like the high key was achieved solely in post. If I'm right this creates a good deal of noise by bumping the exposure that high. Which is compounded when you then need to do the same to the black levels to get the detail you want back. I think that's where the eyes went dark and the artifacts in the shados and hair came in. Unless I'm wrong of course. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    truth wrote:
    To me it feels like the high key was achieved solely in post. If I'm right this creates a good deal of noise by bumping the exposure that high. Which is compounded when you then need to do the same to the black levels to get the detail you want back. I think that's where the eyes went dark and the artifacts in the shados and hair came in. Unless I'm wrong of course. ne_nau.gif
    You're right on the money... all hi-key was in post-processing. Here's the original from RAW to JPG. I think this kind of illustrates that dark blue in her eyes that I'd mentioned previously, but they are darker in this image than in reality. Like I said, if anyone wants to rework and re-post, feel free... just please share technique. Thanks.
    135859175-L.jpg

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 14, 2007
    The eyes seem underexposed in the original as well. I'd try to develope the image in RAW to bring as much of the eyes out as possible. It might just be that there's not enough there to work from. If you can get the eyes to where you want them in RAW you can then get crazy with a high key version and layer them in photoshop.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I think it's also REALLY important to get the color correct before you start to do any conversions to B&W. Overall, it will help you get a much better conversion that can be tweaked a lot more....

I also like to see just a *hint* of the features a little more in a high key image. To me, it just becomes too abstract when you see no shapes of the features.

Here is my try:
    • Import into Lightroom
    • Adjust color (still not quite right, but closer)
    • Convert to B&W
    • Bump tone curve to higher contrast
    • Adjust exposure to be a high key image, but still have some features.
    Not sure if you (or anyone!) will like it! Holler if you need me to remove it. I'll be happy to. :)

With all that said, it's a really cute shot of a precious little girl! Keep doing photos like this and you'll get it spot on, I'm sure!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I think photogmomma nailed it. Look at those eyes!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I think photogmomma nailed it. Look at those eyes!

I couldn't agree more... and I certainly don't want her to take it down. Thanks!

• Options
    DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Stephen,

It's a great shot, and I love the PPing you did... I also like how Andi reworked the eyes and brought back some of the detail. I'd just love to see the eyes in color.

I did a shot similar to this of my daughter a while back...

2005_1019_highkey.jpg

I actually put it on a t-shirt for myself (which of course mortifies my now-13yo teenager - Laughing.gif).

Point is, I left in a hint of color in the eyes... if you can pull the color out that would be awesome... considering how dark the eyes are on the original, you might have to fake it a bit though in PS.
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Amy, Though not hi-key, per se, I did something similar with a picture of a friend's son last week:
    136093697-L.jpg
    DRabbit wrote:
    Stephen,

It's a great shot, and I love the PPing you did... I also like how Andi reworked the eyes and brought back some of the detail. I'd just love to see the eyes in color.

I did a shot similar to this of my daughter a while back...

I actually put it on a t-shirt for myself (which of course mortifies my now-13yo teenager - Laughing.gif).

Point is, I left in a hint of color in the eyes... if you can pull the color out that would be awesome... considering how dark the eyes are on the original, you might have to fake it a bit though in PS.

• Options
    DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Very cool Stephen... and that one could EASILY go highkey... I hope you don't mind, just wanted to show you...

highkeyboy_sskoutas.jpg

I did it real quick so it's not perfect, but just to give you the idea...

It's a very nice shot of your friends son :)
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:
    Very cool Stephen... and that one could EASILY go highkey... I hope you don't mind, just wanted to show you...

I certainly don't mind, and you've done a cool job with your example. thanks!