Some macros with my new 350D

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited March 13, 2007 in Holy Macro
Bought a 350D to replace my 300D body ( fairly bargain price of £350 with kit lens and canon bag). Some shots using my sigma 105mm and ext tubes.
Seems to work pretty well :)

Brian V.

Click on Pics for larger size

419138791_6d418b750e.jpg

419138788_d787d3c24c.jpg

419123570_e0f865c644.jpg

419123565_91a0295560.jpg

419123555_280203d942.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    You've got a new lens? I loved your old one!! This are as amazing as your other shots. Congrats on a new toy!! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • benbobenbo Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Great shoots. Im about to by a macro lens but not sure about wich one . Im looking for a sigma but not sure wich one . 105mm,150mm or the 180. What about your tube . What are they. Does it it help a lot and how much do it cost.

Thank and great shoot again.

BenBo
    Its easy to make picture, its more difficult to make good picture.
    Manfrotto 390
    Lowerpro Orion trecker II
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Outstanding captures Brian!

Spring is almost here and I hope to put my new macro lens to work soon! :D
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Congrats on the new camera (another kit lens rolleyes1.gif) :D. I'm sure you're going to love it after the 300, fast start/wake up time is the #1 advantage methinks.

Super series, Love the wolfie!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    You've got a new lens? I loved your old one!! This are as amazing as your other shots. Congrats on a new toy!! clap.gif
    Thanks, :)
    No not a new lens- these are with my original sigma 105mm EX I bought along with the 300D- it's a new camera body (well a new old one) just the 350D.
    Brian V.
    edited March 13, 2007
    benbo wrote:
    Great shoots. Im about to by a macro lens but not sure about wich one . Im looking for a sigma but not sure wich one . 105mm,150mm or the 180. What about your tube . What are they. Does it it help a lot and how much do it cost.

Thank and great shoot again.

BenBo

Thanks Benbo :)
    WRT macro lenses, unless you have a specific reason for wanting a longer reach macro lens, I always recommend a macro lens around 100mm for starters. They are easier to use and make good long portrait lenses. The sigma 105 or Tamron 90 would both be fine. The longer lenses are harder to use for handheld work- you really need a tripod with them. The tube is a set of extension tubes (Kenko or Jessops if in the UK). They let you increase the magnification from 1:1 max to 2:1 max.
    Brian V.
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks Serrator and Al :)
    Al- yes another kit lens (now have 3) but I'll probably give my 300D + kit lens to my daughter :). Main reason I got the body was just for the faster shooting/buffer size. I kept getting stuck with the 300D in the middle of a focus stack :). Still it served me well (most of my macro apprenticeship) and must have over 50000 clicks on it now so I suspect shutter faailure may be imminent. Wonder if shooting between 1/100th and 1/200th all the time is kinder to the shutter mechanism ?
    Brian V.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks Serrator and Al :)
    Al- yes another kit lens (now have 3) but I'll probably give my 300D + kit lens to my daughter :). Main reason I got the body was just for the faster shooting/buffer size. I kept getting stuck with the 300D in the middle of a focus stack :). Still it served me well (most of my macro apprenticeship) and must have over 50000 clicks on it now so I suspect shutter faailure may be imminent. Wonder if shooting between 1/100th and 1/200th all the time is kinder to the shutter mechanism ?
    Brian V.

Love the shot of the dew drop!!

How do you do stacked focusing? I thought it was a manual thing. Take a shot, change focus, take a shot, etc...
    edited March 13, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Love the shot of the dew drop!!

How do you do stacked focusing? I thought it was a manual thing. Take a shot, change focus, take a shot, etc...
    Thanks Rhuarc.
    Yes you are right about the stacked focusing- I tend to do it using fixed focus and moving the camera forward. It just gets a bit arkward when the 300D would fill it's shot buffer and I would have to try holding position for a minute or so whilst it unloaded it :) .
    Brian v.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Wow they are great..i didnt know you were using a 300 in the past mate. You would go absolutely crazy here with our bugs. We have stick insects over a foot long.
  • benbobenbo Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    THANK A LOT FOR YOUR EXPLANATION. i THINK I WILL DO WHAT YOU SAY. I didnt knew the existence of those tube. Interesting.
    Thaks again.

BenBo
    Its easy to make picture, its more difficult to make good picture.
    Manfrotto 390
    Lowerpro Orion trecker II
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks Rhuarc.
    Yes you are right about the stacked focusing- I tend to do it using fixed focus and moving the camera forward. It just gets a bit arkward when the 300D would fill it's shot buffer and I would have to try holding position for a minute or so whilst it unloaded it :) .
    Brian v.

Oh, ok, so you use the burst mode of the camera. Set the focus so the front is in focus, then slowly moving toward the subject firing away in burst mode? How do you do the stacking then in PS? Do you just layer all the shots and use Layers and masking to reveal the correctly focused portion?
    edited March 13, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Oh, ok, so you use the burst mode of the camera. Set the focus so the front is in focus, then slowly moving toward the subject firing away in burst mode? How do you do the stacking then in PS? Do you just layer all the shots and use Layers and masking to reveal the correctly focused portion?
    No I don't use burst mode- I just take single shots fairly quickly.
    See http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/163367/ for more details on focus stacking.
    Brian V.
    edited March 13, 2007
    No I don't use burst mode- I just take single shots fairly quickly.
    See http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/163367/ for more details on focus stacking.
    Brian V.

Thanks for the link that's really useful! As soon as I get a MACRO lens I'm going to start giving this a try. I'll probably also try using the burst mode, see which produces better results.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I like the critters, but that drop shot really does it for me Brian -well done!!! clap.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited March 13, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I like the critters, but that drop shot really does it for me Brian -well done!!! clap.gif
    Thanks Dalentech - I actually did the drop shots as a test just to show you don't need an MPE-65 to do them. 100mm macro lens with ext tubes is fine :)
    Brian V.
    edited March 13, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Wow they are great..i didnt know you were using a 300 in the past mate. You would go absolutely crazy here with our bugs. We have stick insects over a foot long.
    Thanks Gus :)
    Was using 2 camera bodies- a 300D and a 20D.
    Stick insect a foot long eek7.gif that would be a challenge :D
    Brian v.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Stick insect a foot long eek7.gif that would be a challenge :D
    Brian v.
    Especially with the MPE65 rolleyes1.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Bought a 350D to replace my 300D body ( fairly bargain price of £350 with kit lens and canon bag). Some shots using my sigma 105mm and ext tubes.
    Seems to work pretty well :)

Brian V.

Click on Pics for larger size

Very nice Brian clap.gifclap.gif they all look awesome.
    Gotta love them bugs and your water drop reflections are always a big hit.
    Congrats on the new body :D

Thanks for sharing........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • KattKatt Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Your photos are exquisite iloveyou.gif