What happened to our baby?

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited March 13, 2007 in People
Our daughter is growing up just too fast. This autumn she starts high school and I caught her pondering her on-line course sign up site.

135594670-L.jpg

I was playing with my new 85mm f1.4 and the only light in the room was from the monitor.

Comments

• sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    david_h wrote:
    Our daughter is growing up just too fast. This autumn she starts high school and I caught her pondering her on-line course sign up site.

I was playing with my new 85mm f1.4 and the only light in the room was from the monitor.

Very pretty image with wonderful gradients...

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Love it. Do monitors count as "natural" light? I'd say so. It's not a light you placed. I think it's got great mood. Helps that she's obviously quite beautiful too.
    Thanks for sharing this one.
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    Love it. Do monitors count as "natural" light? I'd say so. It's not a light you placed. I think it's got great mood. Helps that she's obviously quite beautiful too.
    Thanks for sharing this one.
    Very pretty girl and a great shot using "available light". I'm not too keen on the edge treatment though.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Very pretty girl and a great shot using "available light". I'm not too keen on the edge treatment though.
    I assumed that border was a standard treatment that david_h employs. (We'll see when he replies)
    I like to see what people do for their "digital frames".
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Great looking shot! Really like how you went against conventional wisdom and purposefuly blew out the highlights. It gives it a real glamour feel.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Nimia, yes you are right about the border. I use this on all my blog entrys and also the on-line web proofs from our weddings. Nothing like having the client see your logo 1,000 times or so :D

Rhuarc, my portraits often have blown highlights, especially in the backgrounds. I tend to spot or center meter on the subjects face and let the rest of the image fall as it may.

Although this shot wasn't posed, I always include a similar portrait for our brides, usually lit by soft window light. Here's an example, this one done with my old faithful 85mm f1.8:

135805693-L.jpg
  • squeaky_clean82squeaky_clean82 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Wow... That last image is stunning! The conversion is great, too.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Great bridal shot David.

I think it is better than the first one, which is also good, but the slight softness (even if it's intentional) doesn't grab me.

I still like the composition. lighting and emotion of the shot, just not the softness (at least not of her eyes anyway).

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate