Options

Snowdonia

bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited April 13, 2007 in Landscapes
This is my first serious attempt at landscape. I always wanted to do landscape but never got to doing it. This time I drew to Snowdonia just for this and this is also the first time I have used filters. It was very windy and dark and could not setup my tripod.

I would really like your comments, feedback.

135160161-L-1.jpg

135160380-L-1.jpg

135552899-L.jpg

135160545-L-1.jpg

Will be adding more in my gallery http://www.bskaran.com/Nature
Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com

Comments

• Options
    rorytaterorytate Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Astounding scenes. You could spend weeks photographing that area. I like your framing. My only nit is the blueishness of the sky. Maybe you could turn it down 50%.

I sure would like to know where that area is, and see more photos of it.

Rory Tate
    Canadian, Okla.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    rorytate wrote:
    Astounding scenes. You could spend weeks photographing that area. I like your framing. My only nit is the blueishness of the sky. Maybe you could turn it down 50%.

I sure would like to know where that area is, and see more photos of it.

Rory Tate
    Canadian, Okla.

Thanks, for your comments.

This is in Northe West Wales UK.
    I too feel the same about the sky I have used a bit more of the blue filter.

You can see more at my sit: www.bskaran.com
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Wow, Snowdonia is beautiful country. I think you did a wonderful job capturing the soft textures of the clouds and putting them next to the rockiness of the land. The mountains also frame the sky invitingly.

The blue doesn't bother me very much, actually. I imagine in real life they are very flat and grey, but the blue mimics a clear day!
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Very nice shots! I like a certain amount of the blue in the sky, but maybe just drop it down a bit.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    These look like stills from Lord of the Rings!

I enjoy the dark clouds which I assume the filter is doing, the blue cast is not a problem for me, maybe tone it down a bit in a print. The first issue I have with all the shots is the horizon being down the middle. Maybe get closer to the foreground of the first shot and eliminate some of the sky. Just change up the size of the subjects a bit from image to image! What I like is that this is your first attempt, for that I am impressed
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Re: Snowdonia
    Very nice shots. I was there a few years ago - you got it!
    Magic place...
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I like the first two, looks ominous.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    These look like stills from Lord of the Rings!

I enjoy the dark clouds which I assume the filter is doing, the blue cast is not a problem for me, maybe tone it down a bit in a print. The first issue I have with all the shots is the horizon being down the middle. Maybe get closer to the foreground of the first shot and eliminate some of the sky. Just change up the size of the subjects a bit from image to image! What I like is that this is your first attempt, for that I am impressed
    thumb.gif

It is interesting that you mentioned it looks like stills from Lord of the Rings!
    This week end I am travelling to the place where they made Lord of the Rings!wings.gif Yes I am travelling to New Zeeland and will be spending couple weeks at Wellington and some remote lakes in south island.
    This Snowdonia trip was my practice session, wanted to try out some compositions and the ND grids.

Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement, much appreciated.

Now I need to create some thing as spectacle as the LOR from New Zeeland! Any help suggestions most welcomed. :D
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Lord of the Rings
    Consider how dark most of the scenes are in the movie. I am not speaking of the moral implications but rather the actual density of the scenes. This is done by the director to create mystery and mood. This contrasts what most digital cameras do by default which is open up the shadows and therefore make the entire image look light. The irony in digital image files is that when you capture an image it is superior to expose for the highlights to obtain the most information/bit depth possible in the grey scale which lies in the upper part of the scale. However, I believe shadows and darkness in the right place can exagerate and enhance the subject. I began to understand this by printing black and white images in the dark room. So, go darkdeal.gif but keep light on the subjectthumb.gif

I darkened your first image but only in certain regions leaving the light on the foreground rocks and trees to create the contrast.

snowdonia.jpg

Look forward to seing what you get.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2007
    Consider how dark most of the scenes are in the movie. I am not speaking of the moral implications but rather the actual density of the scenes. This is done by the director to create mystery and mood. This contrasts what most digital cameras do by default which is open up the shadows and therefore make the entire image look light. The irony in digital image files is that when you capture an image it is superior to expose for the highlights to obtain the most information/bit depth possible in the grey scale which lies in the upper part of the scale. However, I believe shadows and darkness in the right place can exagerate and enhance the subject. I began to understand this by printing black and white images in the dark room. So, go darkdeal.gif but keep light on the subjectthumb.gif

I darkened your first image but only in certain regions leaving the light on the foreground rocks and trees to create the contrast.

snowdonia.jpg

Look forward to seing what you get.

This really looks very interesting. Can you please let me know how to achieve this PP?
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
  • Options
    kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Good Day

Nice work for your first attempt at landscape! I agree with Mark about the horizon in the middle. One other thing I could add is the the foregrounds you have choosen seem a little busy to lead my eye into the scene. Maybe if you were closer to capture more foreground detail would possibly help. Or seek cleaner, stronger and possilbly bigger foreground that lead the viewer into the scene.

More images please.

shane
  • Options
    BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    Wonderful shot! I live in Colorado and don't find images like that.

Thanks for sharing
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com