Options

photo contests

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited March 16, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Are they worth entering?

Often the rules state that by submitting images, you're giving the publication or website permission to use your images in the future.

Yes, this post was inspired by the dgrin photo of the year contest, but I DON'T want to hash that out here (there's another thread on that).

I'm curious though-- strictly in terms of business-- is entering a photo contest worth it if it means you essentially agree that the publication or website can use your image however they want?

Has anyone actually gotten paid work from entering a photo contest?

I realize if you win the contest, there might be a financial award. But most contest rules I've seen state that even if you don't win, you're still giving the publication or website permission to use your photo in the future.

Again-- from a business perspective-- does make sense? :scratch

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    But most contest rules I've seen state that even if you don't win, you're still giving the publication or website permission to use your photo in the future.

Again-- from a business perspective-- does make sense? headscratch.gif

Many contest sites are in it to make money with your images. Not on the Dgrin Last Photographer Standing (or our prior contests) - photographers own the images, we do state that we can use the images on Dgrin and SmugMug sites to promote the contest. But we don't want to, and won't ever sell, use, or otherwise profit from your images.

It's that important, we specifically state this in the rules.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I have read the rules / terms & conditions for hundreds of thousands of contests over the years and they have ALL stated they have the right to use for the promotion of their contests.

99% of the time it is a 2 way street....the pub. (whether online or paper) get use of your work and you get published and credit...
    For some getting work published is almost as good as getting paid in currency, it could be that they need so many published prints to rise to "MASTER Photographer" in their respective organization, so to them it means something and is not a burden of any sort...

All that I have inquired to, also gave the photographer a byline or mention of some sort, meaning the photo was linked to the photog in some way so that all who would see the photo would know who made it.....

I am also talking here of Salons (the uppity denotation for contest/challenge) that charge a fee for entry into the Salon (most ranging in the $20-$50 bracket for no more than 5 prints or there are those that have no limitations on number of entries but charge a flat fee of say $10 per entry).....Most contest.salons do CHARGE A FEE for entry as they have to pay for judges and such....Dgrin and PhotoFriday are 2 that do not charge......

The bottom line for me is pretty simple....It is added EXPOSURE....It is FREE added exposure.......and for me that is ALL GOOD.
    When I entered I agreed to those terms so I might as well not worry about it.....HOWEVER if the rules state that such and such group could SELL MY WORK for profit and I would be excluded from any renumeration for the sale, then I would NEVER enter their contest(s) or ever post an image to any website/ forums owned by such a comapny.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. But again-- aside from the exposure-- are photo contests in anyone's business or marketing plan? Any examples where someone said, "I saw your photo in a contest and I want to hire you?"

Just curious. I'm trying to figure out the balance between giving images away (to say a photo contest-- not just here, but in other places as well) and getting paid for my work.

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Entering a photo contest like the one on dgrin should be about having fun and trying to grow as an artist.

I can't see how it's a business proposition. ne_nau.gif The prizes are nice, but not a reason to invest that much time in the project. The motivation is personal growth.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I have seen many photographers list awards they have earned as part of their credentials in their advertising and on websites. I suppose that some people looking to retain your services might consider that as a 'plus' in your knowledge and skills as a photographer. Wedding and portrait photographers quite often enter competitions within their respected field. I see nothing against it in that respect. If, however, I had an image I felt had potential for generating sales, I would not enter it unless I felt there was a good chance of advertising exposure and that would depend on the contest. It also depends on what type of photography you are into, I would imagine. I never thought of it as part of a business plan, perhaps it is worth mulling over. I think of contests as ways to stretch your creativity and rarely think of the financial potential....that is, until the LPS came along!!! :saurora
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Entering a photo contest like the one on dgrin should be about having fun and trying to grow as an artist.

I can't see how it's a business proposition. ne_nau.gif The prizes are nice, but not a reason to invest that much time in the project. The motivation is personal growth.

Exactly how I feel. If someone see smy shots and wants to hire me because of it from the contest it would be an added bonus. However, as someone else said, if the site said they could use the photo to sell for their own profit, excluding me, then I would steer clear of the entire site, not just the contests.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. But again-- aside from the exposure-- are photo contests in anyone's business or marketing plan? Any examples where someone said, "I saw your photo in a contest and I want to hire you?"
    One of my photos was seen on Astronomy picture of the day and it lead to many book and magazine deals that were very profitable.

Back in the old STF days, a gent named ZipperZ had a photo seen in the STF challenge that was purchased for product box art for a very profitable sum.

The problem I see with too many photographers is the same paranoia that afflicts inventors. They don't want to show anyone the invention for fear that someone will steal it. They usually become so stingy and closed fisted that the invention goes absolutely nowhere.

Now of course there is a point where visibility and credit don't benefit any longer. And that point has to be decided by each photographer, but there is always some room it in a practical sense.

Like they say in Hollywood any publicity is good publicity. Like they say in the world of science, publish or perish. In photography, you have to have your work seen to realize the full potential of what you can do. And many contests (not all) can serve that purpose very well for both the photographer and the contest organizers.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Pete,
    dogwood wrote:
    Are they worth entering?
    I guess, there are many answers to this question. I can only answer for myself.
    For me - yes, they are.
    I definitely see me working much harder on the potential entries. The challenges make me think before shoot, as opposed to snap happily everything that moves, grows or stands still. Many of the images I'm very proud of would never happen if it were not for challenges. As many already said, I think they help you to become a better photographer.

There is also another side of your question, about having one's picture outside one's personal site/collection of images/personal context. Again, the answers are plenty. I know some people who'd never even put an image online in their private website, let alone enter it into a public contest, since they think it would diminish the artistic value of their work. And there are those who think that having a low res image available somewhere that is yet somehow linked to them is good for publicity. Which may - or may not lead to work/contract/sales. Success works mysterious ways.

All this is my personal point of view. I like playing in a friendly atmosphere of dgrin. I like the fact I'm getting better. I do not count on any solid sales numbers as a result of this play, but if it happens - I'd welcome it with my both hands:-)

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    (and thank you for using S*E :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    I appreciate all the replies here-- some very interesting info and insight. I'm definitely still growing as a photographer and still trying to figure it all out.

Somehow though-- I get the feeling creating photos and marketing them this is a lifetime journey :D

Thank you again for the replies.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Speaking of sales...
    While my true underlying goal of participating in the challenges is the Ultimate World Domination, I also can occasionally enjoy the spoils.
    For instance, got a call today with the order of one of my latest entries... mwink.gif
    So, as I said earlier,
    1) you'll never know :-)
    2) publicity is a good thing:-)

Just my $$$ worth of a cent rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    While my true underlying goal of participating in the challenges is the Ultimate World Domination, I also can occasionally enjoy the spoils.
    For instance, got a call today with the order of one of my latest entries... mwink.gif
    So, as I said earlier,

I've said it before, people buy what they see. If you don't have your work seen, you have a much harder time of it. Good job Nikolai!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Shay,
    I've said it before, people buy what they see. If you don't have your work seen, you have a much harder time of it. Good job Nikolai!

Thank you for making me work harder than usual:-) thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    For instance, got a call today with the order of one of my latest entries...
    So, as I said earlier,

Just my $$$ worth of a cent

Congrats Nikko clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    Angelino,
    Angelo wrote:
    Congrats Nikko clap.gif
    Gracias, compadre...:-) thumb.gif
    It's nothing major, just one mid-size print... What I like most about it is that the lady becomes a regular:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    A few things that I've found to be useful to watch out for when entering online contests are:

Giving up the rights to your photo. Be very careful as to what your entry allows the contest to do with your iamges.

Having your work online with no protoection. JPG magazine does this and it really sucks. No watermarking or signing of the images is allowed, no right click protection AND they display the full res image. Pretty lame as they ave a really neat concept going although the selection the images is a bit suspect IMHO.

To me the contests are simply fun. Shooting for a specific theme is always a good exercise and has forced me to learn some new tricks and attempt some shots I never would have made the effort to produce.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Speaking of sales, II
    Nikolai wrote:
    So, as I said earlier,

Another order on the same image! wings.gif

Kodak matte paper, signed with gold metallic sharpie - makes you feel like an artist of yore... lol3.gif