B+W Polarizing filters

photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited March 14, 2007 in Cameras
I'd like to buy a circular polarizing filter, and I've read (in this forum and elsewhere) that you don't skimp on filters. Fortunately, I've arranged that all my lenses have a 77mm diameter, so I only have to buy one filter for all my gear. Sweet!

I've kinda decided to buy B+W, as I can't find a Heliopan retailer easily and B+W is a close second, but I am open to suggestions on the brand.

Anyway, does anyone have opinion on the different options, and whether they're worth it?
  • Slim: I do want to use this on my 16-35 (I happen to like the non-uniform sky blueness). Does the thick (5mm) filters cause noticeable vignetting in this case? (Note that I'm using a Canon 20D at the moment, possibly a FF in a year or two).
  • MRC (Multi-Resistant Coating). First, is this the same as MC (Multicoated) on the B&H website? MRC It adds quite a bit to the cost of the filter, but their selling point is that it also extends the life of the filter.
  • Kaeseman: Here the selling point seems to be extra weather protection. Not a lot $$ more on top of MRC.
If you add them all together, a slim, Kaeseman MRC filter could run as much as $400 CDN -- quite a lot for a filter, but as I've said I only have to buy one, so budget is not that much of a concern.

What would you buy?
photon

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    MRC is a must, dont even consider not getting it, no matter which brand you use. IMHO, the Kaeseman is 'extreme"...I suppose if I were making a living at photpgraphy and I could benefit from it, I might choose it, but otherwise, why spend that kinda $$?.

My understanding is that polarizers typically yield poor results on wide angle lenses. So not sure if the slim is worthwhile, if the polarizer does not provide good results at the low end of your lens.

I own B+W filters for all my lenses, except for the polarizer. I already had a Hoya filter from my old system, so I use that (only on one lens). I have been happy with it, but I really rarely use it. The only time I find I really need it is when I am on a cruise taking photos of the sea/shore...then it really helps a ton, espcially in the Caribbean.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I picked up the B+W Kasemann 77mm filter a while back and I've been quite happy with the purchase. I've got an older Hoya circular polarizer and the Kaesmann was marketed as being much more color neutral; there's a very noticeable quality difference between the two with the Kaesmann seeming to have much stronger polarization and noticeably more neutral colors. I think it'd be the one to go for. I've got the 17-40L on a crop body and it doesn't vignette at all, but that's not saying much

More info about the Kasemann: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/neuheiten/kaesemann_mrc_e.htm
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I bought another 77 mm slim UV yesterday afternoon for my new Tokina 12/24 zoom. I usually buy B+W, but the dealer was out of stock, so I opted for a different brand - Rodenstock, made in Germany.

It was the same price as my B+W's. Googling indicates they are a major player in eyeglasses, and they also make lenses in addition to filters. Looks as though they know what they're doing.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Thanks cmason
    Thanks cmason!
    cmason wrote:
    MRC is a must, dont even consider not getting it, no matter which brand you use.
    Does it affect the optical quality (flare, color, etc.) or just durability?
    cmason wrote:
    My understanding is that polarizers typically yield poor results on wide angle lenses. So not sure if the slim is worthwhile, if the polarizer does not provide good results at the low end of your lens.
    The only reason I have heard this is that at wide angles the sky is polarized non-uniformly, i.e. parts will appear more blue, others less, which may look a bit odd. But as I said, I don't mind that effect.
    cmason wrote:
    ... but I really rarely use it. The only time I find I really need it is when I am on a cruise taking photos of the sea/shore...then it really helps a ton, espcially in the Caribbean.
    Oh, I would hate to get stuck in the Caribbean without my gear! :D

In the past, I've used it just to cut down glare on Sunny-16 days, and to get better color saturation. Never had the opportunity to try it out from a cruise ship!

Thanks for the reply!
    photon
    edited March 14, 2007
    Thanks Bob...
    LuckyBob wrote:
    I picked up the B+W Kasemann 77mm filter a while back and I've been quite happy with the purchase. I've got an older Hoya circular polarizer and the Kaesmann was marketed as being much more color neutral; there's a very noticeable quality difference between the two with the Kaesmann seeming to have much stronger polarization and noticeably more neutral colors. I think it'd be the one to go for. I've got the 17-40L on a crop body and it doesn't vignette at all, but that's not saying much

More info about the Kasemann: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/neuheiten/kaesemann_mrc_e.htm
    Wow, thanks for the link and the response, Bob...

I'm assuming you're referring to the slightly-blue cast a polarizer usually introduces? You don't happen to have (or know of) a comparison of Kasemann vs. non-Kasemann filter pics to judge the color casts? Many thanks.
    photon
    edited March 14, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    I bought another 77 mm slim UV yesterday afternoon for my new Tokina 12/24 zoom. I usually buy B+W, but the dealer was out of stock, so I opted for a different brand - Rodenstock, made in Germany.

It was the same price as my B+W's. Googling indicates they are a major player in eyeglasses, and they also make lenses in addition to filters. Looks as though they know what they're doing.

Good thought, Glenn... I have a couple of Rodenstock UV filters myself (when I couldn't get the B+W), so it's probably a viable option to check out. I've just never mentioned them alongside B+W and Heliopan in the forums is all.
    photon
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    The B+W KSM MRC is a very nice filter. I happen to have one (in 77mm even) and it's a quality piece. SO that answers your "what would you buy" question. :D I would only look at the slim if you must have it--and considering only UWA lenses need slime filters the usefulness at all comes into question.

For best pricing, check out www.maxsaver.net --I purchased mine there and they're frequently recommended by many FMers. So, yes they are legit even though pricing falls into the almost-too-good-to-be-true category. thumb.gif

BTW, Glenn, since that Tokina 12-24 is for a crop body (I own one) the slim was not necessary. I get no vignetting on mine. Now, how well it polarizes the sky is another matter; I have used it more for cutting glare on water with better results.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    photon wrote:
    [...]I'm assuming you're referring to the slightly-blue cast a polarizer usually introduces? You don't happen to have (or know of) a comparison of Kasemann vs. non-Kasemann filter pics to judge the color casts? Many thanks.

Actually from what I can tell the B+W is basically perfectly neutral throughout the whole range of polarization effect. The Hoya I've got actually seems to add quite a lot of yellow into the polarization effect as you "increase" the strength; it was immediately noticable when I took both filters out at the same time and compared them.

Alas, I didn't shoot any comparison photos (77mm B+W vs 55mm Hoya makes comparison hard), nor can I find any tests done. I'm sure one exists, and the next time we've got sun in Seattle I'll stop by the beach and shoot both filters on my 50mm f/1.8.

PS: Found another link regarding MRC filters - http://www.2filter.com/faq/multicoatedfaq.html
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"