Sundays MX action

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited March 15, 2007 in Sports
This was my first time out shooting MX this year don't think they turned out too bad
C+C welcome

135537834-M.jpg

135537851-M.jpg

135537894-M.jpg

135537924-M.jpg

135537975-M.jpg

135537938-M.jpg

135538104-M.jpg

135538107-M.jpg

135538150-M.jpg

135538179-M.jpg

135540594-M.jpg

135540638-M.jpg

Comments

• 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    I didn't think MX'ers raced in the mud anymore.mwink.gif

Nice pics.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    I think the last two panning shots show the speed and the movement of the bikes the best.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I didn't think MX'ers raced in the mud anymore.mwink.gif

Nice pics.
    Its a nice change to see...if it was here you would need an oxygen tank & mask from the dust.

Nice series there gary...very even light.
  • likwidlikwid Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Hi Gary.
    I really like #9, it has a different angle that makes the picture interesting. There is also a lot of mud in the air that adds excitement and action to the picture.
    The other pictures look good but they are pretty ordinary, not much happening if you know what I mean. They are also taken from an angle where everyone else is also taking their pics.
    I also like #11 but wouldn't mind the driver a little sharper, other than that great colors and great sense of speed and action.

// Sebastian
    Canon EOS 30D | Sigma EX 18-50/2.8 DC
    Sony A-100 | Sony 18-70 kit lens | Tamron 70-300mm 4-5.6 | Minolta 50mm 1.7
    // Sebastian
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Thank's for all your replies
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    The 1st ones have a funky yellowish/grayish cast to them, or its just ya'lls drab weather or something.

A nice mix of shots you posted too.

#9 is sweet. thumb.gif

#1 you could have cropped out the left side rider to put more emphassis on the lead guy. #5, maybe a tighter crop like you have in #6, but both are good to see who's the lead dog.

#8 nice timing!

Panning shots are nice, I especially like the last panned shot, but to me it seems panning is almost like a requirement to post a mx photo on here (or you'll get the guys saying "more motion blur in the wheels" and "you need to pan" and the like) and IMO, it is very overated.
  • F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    gsgary wrote:
    This was my first time out shooting MX this year don't think they turned out too bad
    135538150-M.jpg

Cheers Gary!

First off, your overall posting consistency is terrific. Plenty of variety and plenty of action. This picture above is my choice from this particular post. The beautiful yellow contrasts very well with this background and the composition is great.

The other shots are alright but as mentioned by someone earlier, they aren't very complelling. I think the location is really the problem here not so much the photographic techniques.

I would imagine that the compositional choices there are very limiting and of course dramatic lighting is not an everyday occurance in your part of the world...but good work as always and thanks for posting!!
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

edited March 15, 2007
    j-bo wrote:
    The 1st ones have a funky yellowish/grayish cast to them, or its just ya'lls drab weather or something.

A nice mix of shots you posted too.

#9 is sweet. thumb.gif

#1 you could have cropped out the left side rider to put more emphassis on the lead guy. #5, maybe a tighter crop like you have in #6, but both are good to see who's the lead dog.

#8 nice timing!

Panning shots are nice, I especially like the last panned shot, but to me it seems panning is almost like a requirement to post a mx photo on here (or you'll get the guys saying "more motion blur in the wheels" and "you need to pan" and the like) and IMO, it is very overated.

Thank's j-bo
    The cast is probably down to my bad PP, the last pan shot has a bit of flash as well
    edited March 15, 2007
    F45 wrote:
    Cheers Gary!

First off, your overall posting consistancy is terrific. Plenty of variety and plenty of action. This picture above is my choice from this particular post. The beautiful yellow contrasts very well with this background and the composition is great.

The other shots are alright but as mentioned by someone earlier, they aren't very complelling. I think the location is really the problem here not so much the photographic techniques.

I would imagine that the compositional choices there are very limiting and of course dramatic lighting is not an everyday occurance in your part of the world...but good work as always and thanks for posting!!

Thank's for your comments Chris, i have accreditation so i can get the other side of the fence but it was hard to find good positions that were safe to shoot, note to myself must try harder