Recommended Image Posting Size

DavidKlDavidKl Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in SmugMug Support
As a pro user I know I can post up to 16 meg/pic. I have a delay on shipping set so I can pp pictures that are bought( and replace with a 16 meg file if needed) . What would be a good compromise posting size that maximizes spped but still allows for large images to be purchased (when I sized images to 800x600 customers could not select larger pictures for purchase).

Comments

• DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Smugmug recommended minimums are here ...

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

Andrew
  • DavidKlDavidKl Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    Smugmug recommended minimums are here ...

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

Andrew

so leave it alone and large (4288 x 2848) or size everything for the minumum largest at 1200x1600?
    edited March 14, 2007
    DavidKl wrote:
    so leave it alone and large (4288 x 2848) or size everything for the minumum largest at 1200x1600?
    I upload mine at full size, because then I don't have to worry about reuploading when a customer wants a print. I'm confident of the auto color and I have a full size backup of the photos.
    The only downside is longer upload times.

Andrew
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    wave.gif Have a look at the two articles on Proof Delay here: http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros

Holler with any questions!
  • lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    I have a full size backup of the photos.
    The only downside is longer upload times.
    Andrew
    I know our space is not limited exactly, but surely there has to be a limit. I feel bad that I am taking up over 10gb. Unfortunately, long uploads is my problem as i have a lame DSL connection (nothing wrong DSL...mine just has a short somewhere that I have never been able to track down...and it causes problems).

Anyway, my question is how much can we really store here on SM? I mean, when should we delete older events? People still look at my older galleries when they are looking to hire. Sometimes I book an event because somebody sees somebody they know...or they like how many weddings they see.

Personally, I would like to just upload a 800x600 for the fastest upload and for quick response time for people visiting the gallery. But the replace feature is the weak link here...and there is no way I want to replace more than necessary. In fact, if a person doesn't order at least a 5x7 or larger, I do not correct and replace the file.
    edited March 14, 2007
    lokerd wrote:
    I know our space is not limited exactly, but surely there has to be a limit.
    :nono there is no limit and we mean that.
    I feel bad that I am taking up over 10gb.
    Is that all?
    Unfortunately, long uploads is my problem as i have a lame DSL connection (nothing wrong DSL...mine just has a short somewhere that I have never been able to track down...and it causes problems).

Anyway, my question is how much can we really store here on SM?
    Unlimited means unlimited. And we mean that. There's no limits, perioed.

wave.gif
    edited March 14, 2007
    lokerd wrote:
    I know our space is not limited exactly, but surely there has to be a limit. I feel bad that I am taking up over 10gb. Unfortunately, long uploads is my problem as i have a lame DSL connection (nothing wrong DSL...mine just has a short somewhere that I have never been able to track down...and it causes problems).
    Why ?
    photos uploaded: 51163 | disk space used: 111.53 GB

mwink.gif

Andrew
    edited March 14, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    Why ?
    photos uploaded: 51163 | disk space used: 111.53 GB
    mwink.gif
    Andrew

WOW!!! Do you plan to remove any photos from older galleries? If so, what will be the catalyst?

How does SM even manage that? I mean, if every user stored 10+ gb of data, and there are 1000 people...??? I don't understand how all of that space can be managed. I mean, even if they have a rack of terrabyte drives, there has got to be a max, right? And what about the cost? How is all that possible? I mean, I just looked on PWatch...and a 4tb drive is $10k!! WOW!
    edited March 14, 2007
    lokerd wrote:
    WOW!!! Do you plan to remove any photos from older galleries? If so, what will be the catalyst?

How does SM even manage that? I mean, if every user stored 10+ gb of data, and there are 1000 people...??? I don't understand how all of that space can be managed. I mean, even if they have a rack of terrabyte drives, there has got to be a max, right? And what about the cost? How is all that possible? I mean, I just looked on PWatch...and a 4tb drive is $10k!! WOW!

1. http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/08/28/take-a-peek-inside-our-datacenters/

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/08/12/amazon-s3-the-holy-grail/

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/11/04/amazon-two-guys-in-a-dorm-0-the-next-youtube/
    edited March 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:

WOW!! I can't wait to see the videos. Unfortunately, the streaming video is giving my lame connection and/or Mac a hard time.

Actually, I would LOVE to show a few video clips to my students (I teach high school photography) these clips. Is there a larger size file on the internet that I can download or that you could email me?

Thanks!
    edited March 15, 2007
    lokerd wrote:
    No.
    The only reason I'd remove it is if Smugmug reintroduced a limit. Or I decide to go somewhere else.

Andrew
    edited March 20, 2007
    Source of actual video files?
    lokerd wrote:
    WOW!! I can't wait to see the videos. Unfortunately, the streaming video is giving my lame connection and/or Mac a hard time.

Actually, I would LOVE to show a few video clips to my students (I teach high school photography) these clips. Is there a larger size file on the internet that I can download or that you could email me?

Thanks!

I am at school trying to show these videos...but, they are not playing well at all. Does anybody know where I can find the actual video to download as a QT file I can run off my computer?

Or any similar videos?

Thanks!