Problem Viewing or Downloading Originals

rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited March 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I seem to be having an issue viewing or downloading original size images. If I try it in Firefox, it just chugs along and never completes. From IE, it loads the screen with gibberish and also never completes. I have no problems with any other size. I do have a fast cable connection and used to be able to do this quite easily but haven't in some time. Any ideas?

www.rfreschner.smugmug.com

Rick

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    rfreschner wrote:
    I seem to be having an issue viewing or downloading original size images. If I try it in Firefox, it just chugs along and never completes. From IE, it loads the screen with gibberish and also never completes. I have no problems with any other size. I do have a fast cable connection and used to be able to do this quite easily but haven't in some time. Any ideas?

www.rfreschner.smugmug.com

Rick
    Hi Rick, sorry we didn't see this post until now. Hm, I was able to use IE and FF both to see/get originals from your site. Can you give us a direct gallery link to where you can't get the originals to work?

Are you running any sort of special firewall software, that might block such downloads?
  • rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Rick, sorry we didn't see this post until now. Hm, I was able to use IE and FF both to see/get originals from your site. Can you give us a direct gallery link to where you can't get the originals to work?

Are you running any sort of special firewall software, that might block such downloads?

Thanks for the quick reply Andy. As I mentioned in my email to Support, today I tried it in work with IE and it works fine so it's definitely a problem with my setup here at home but I just don't know what would affect it. I used to be able to d/l original images and can still d/l the other sizes. Just the originals are affected. I also have an issue if I click on Save Photo at any size. If I have a medium size image displayed and right-click Save Image As - no problem. I'm at a loss.
    edited March 14, 2007
    Andy - I forgot to mention - it's any image, any gallery.
    edited March 14, 2007
    rfreschner wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply Andy. As I mentioned in my email to Support, today I tried it in work with IE and it works fine so it's definitely a problem with my setup here at home but I just don't know what would affect it. I used to be able to d/l original images and can still d/l the other sizes. Just the originals are affected. I also have an issue if I click on Save Photo at any size. If I have a medium size image displayed and right-click Save Image As - no problem. I'm at a loss.
    Do you have special software running at home? Norton or similar, that blocks such downloads? Firefox extensions? Think.... and let us know..
    edited March 15, 2007
    Thanks Andy, that did the trick. I had completely forgotten about the McAfee Security software. Apparently, they've updated their "phishing" filters and for some reason downloads from smugmug are getting caught there. Not all downloads just the original file size downloads. Unchecking the "Enable heuristic to detect fraudulent Web sites" box fixes the problem.
    edited March 15, 2007
    rfreschner wrote:
    Thanks Andy, that did the trick. I had completely forgotten about the McAfee Security software. Apparently, they've updated their "phishing" filters and for some reason downloads from smugmug are getting caught there. Not all downloads just the original file size downloads. Unchecking the "Enable heuristic to detect fraudulent Web sites" box fixes the problem.
    I'm not 100% certain, but there's probably a setting that will enable you to say that SmugMug is "trusted" and then you can leave that other setting back the way it was.

Either way, glad you are in business!
    edited March 15, 2007
    Yes, there is a setting but it doesn't appear to be working. I tried adding my site, smugmug's main site, etc. but the addition doesn't show up in the list after I add them. Might be a bug. I'll try and follow up with McAfee.

Thanks again for setting me straight. Although I haven't done anything with the antivirus software lately, I keep forgetting about the automatic updates. Must be an advancing age thing! :D