Portrait

gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
edited March 14, 2007 in People
Anycomments are most welcome! always looking at ways to improve.

brivg7.jpg
D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    As with most images, this has some very good points and some areas that need some small improvement.

I love the composition, the way you have lighted the hair, and here eyes - OMG they are great. You've also got great seperation from the background.

A couple of detractors: There three blemishes (or something) on the right side of her face; (1) high on her right cheekbone, almost at the hairline; (2) another one on the rose of her cheek, very small; and (3) another one just to the right of her mouth. I'm thinking these need to be smoothed or cloned out.

The only other thing that I think needs improvement is the light intensity - it's just too much. As a portrait, IMNSHO, the image look more than just a bit over-exposed.

And, a couple of nits - there are two small dark spot on her upper chest, near the pendant, that should be cloned out.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Caucasian skin tones typically run about 1 stop above middle gray. I often spot meter on the cheek and dial in +0.7 to +1 EC when shooting portraits since the skin tone is always top priority on a portrait. If you let the skin tones float hotter than that the tonal range often gets compressed leaving the image looking flat. That seems to be what has happened here. I don't see any major areas where you have blown out the skin tones so you may be able to just lower the level of the face in Photoshop. Some careful work with levels and some burning here and there and you will have a nice portrait.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Very nicely done! I agree about the skin tones being a bit too hot.... Otherwise, very nice!
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Thank everyone, Definalty some things to work on. I agree wiht you all, levels jsut a tad hot.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com