Damsel

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited March 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Tell me what you think of this picture. It is chilled and steamed.
(It really was cold, (-1) check out the goosebumps on her legs...)

Really, C & C please....

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007

Really, C & C please....

Man... with this resolution you can't see the goosebumps... Darnit:cry
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007

Really, C & C please....

It's a great concept. The pose is great, but the composition leaves me cold. The white snow on the right kinda merges with her face and clothes. it leaves an almost split down the middle dark on the left, light on the right that just seems... i dunno... too symmetrical. I've never been a fan of the Ro3, but in this case it might help.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Great idea! I think her expression and posture compensate for the (not-so-visible) goosebumps. I would try and decrease the contrast a bit. The white is a little too harsh.

Cheers, Sunita

http://sunita.smugmug.com
    edited March 14, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    It's a great concept. The pose is great, but the composition leaves me cold. The white snow on the right kinda merges with her face and clothes. it leaves an almost split down the middle dark on the left, light on the right that just seems... i dunno... too symmetrical. I've never been a fan of the Ro3, but in this case it might help.

Forgive a poor ignorent girl... what is Ro3? I am still figuring out all of you people's abbreviations...

Yeah, I can see what you mean with the snow.. It is in Raw so I can mess with it a bunch. I just had a couple of minutes to work on it. I 'll see what I can do tonight.

BTW- thanks for the input, both of you!
    edited March 15, 2007
    Here is another try with darker on the side... hmmm. whatdayathink?ne_nau.gif
    edited March 15, 2007
    Or there is also this view... I don't like it as much because of a couple reasons.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    HeatherFeather
    Or there is also this view... I don't like it as much because of a couple reasons.

I like this one better! You can see it's cold by her posture....

One other thing to remember - entries should fit the 800x800 box

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    I'm not sure what it is but to me these feel really contrived (I know they are, but they really feel it.) The first image is a much better image, though it conveys a feeling of annoyance of frustration more than chilled. Steamy works better here with the vapor coming off the radiator. Trouble for me in the 1st image is that the crop feel too tight top/bottom. The second image does work better for chilled but it's not nearly as nice an image as the first.
    edited March 15, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I'm not sure what it is but to me these feel really contrived (I know they are, but they really feel it.) The first image is a much better image, though it conveys a feeling of annoyance of frustration more than chilled. Steamy works better here with the vapor coming off the radiator. Trouble for me in the 1st image is that the crop feel too tight top/bottom. The second image does work better for chilled but it's not nearly as nice an image as the first.

Hey thanks, Truth....
    I am not sure what to do about the crop... It is actually a horizontal view that I cropped to a portrait view. It also had to be straightened quite a bit, because the car was up on a snowbank and looked quite crooked-y making the crop even smaller.
    Also, we didn't get out there until the sun was full up (lots of different reasons) so the light was very bright causing the contrast to be extreme.

Reshoot would be possible, but not so much fun. It is stinking cold out here in Alaska- and poor thing had to take her coat off... But if we did, what do you think we could do to make it not as "contrived" looking?headscratch.gif

Again! Thanks for your candor...
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    Well, since the details of goosebumps are going to be impossible to see at these resolutions I'd strive to use the whole scene to create the feeling you want. Shooting from a distance and bringing in more of the environment in landscape aspect could be really cool. I'd frame it with the girl about 1/3 of the way into the frame on the left and try to get some OOF cars on the road to the right to give it some distance and scale. I'd set up with a tripod and cable release to get the composition perfect and keep it perfect. Then I'd tell her to just hang out, allowing her to react a bit to the cold and traffic while shooting 3fps. That might get you that one frame the really tells the story while looking like a candid.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Here is another try with darker on the side... hmmm. whatdayathink?ne_nau.gif

I like this one best. I don't mind the crop at all. It shows the road faintly with no help in sight but it's close enough to show both the stream from the car and her emotions on the rise. I like that she's cold but more than that I see her frustration level / inner steam building and about to explode just like the car. thumb.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Forgive a poor ignorent girl... what is Ro3? I am still figuring out all of you people's abbreviations...

"Rule of Thirds"
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited March 17, 2007
    cabbey wrote:

Oh... that makes sense. gotcha. Thanks
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    i really dig the conceptthumb.gif, but i'm not sure if the harsh light is working well.