Exif Data

Greywolf123Greywolf123 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited March 18, 2007 in Cameras
Has anyone seen a utility that would scan all my photos and tell me what my average focal length is? Or a graph would be cool

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    Has anyone seen a utility that would scan all my photos and tell me what my average focal length is? Or a graph would be cool

Statistical EXIF software? I can dig it! (Never seen it but it sounds like a possible/potential shareware product.)

Why stop at average focal length? There is all sorts of comparative opportunity through EXIF information.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    You're right
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Statistical EXIF software? I can dig it! (Never seen it but it sounds like a possible/potential shareware product.)

Why stop at average focal length? There is all sorts of comparative opportunity through EXIF information.

I can also see a product coming.. How about Star*EXIFer :-) mwink.giflol3.gif

Too bad the potential market is virtually zero... I mean, we know of one person who needs it, Mr.Greywolf. Anybody else needs this eXifXtractor? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Greywolf123Greywolf123 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Well
    "Its Simple" I just thought it might be cool to see what range I was shooting in with my zoom lens so I could buy the Prime lens I would use most.

Nikolai wrote:
    I can also see a product coming.. How about Star*EXIFer :-) mwink.giflol3.gif

Too bad the potential market is virtually zero... I mean, we know of one person who needs it, Mr.Greywolf. Anybody else needs this eXifXtractor? headscratch.gif
    edited March 15, 2007
    Something like this, I presume? ;-)
    "Its Simple" I just thought it might be cool to see what range I was shooting in with my zoom lens so I could buy the Prime lens I would use most.

EXIF info list and Focal length chart:

136146258-L.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nik, That's pretty cool. How did you do that? I'm guessing you hacked something together and popped it into something like Excel and took a screen shot. It's the hack part that's of interest. I can see that you gathered useful information other than just the focal length.

Is this going to be a future feature of Star Explorer?
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nik,

You have my interest. Pray tell ...

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    edited March 15, 2007
    It's amazing what one finds when one looks for it:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ExposurePlot.html
    http://www.softsymphony.com/photostat_descr.htm
    http://www.gold-software.com/SmartPhotoStatistics-review23351.htm

I haven't tested any of this and I think the last 2 links are for the same product.
    ziggy53
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    The last two sure look like the same thing to me & is a new one for me.

I have played with the ExposurePlot a little & it's kind of fun to see where things are.
    edited March 15, 2007
    Scott, Ziggy
    Thanks guys!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nik,
    You have my interest. Pray tell ...
    Thanks,

I wrote a little app that scans the files, extracts EXIF data and then puts it into Excel compatible files. Then you can unleash the whole power of Excel on it...:-)
    Nik, That's pretty cool. How did you do that? I'm guessing you hacked something together and popped it into something like Excel and took a screen shot. It's the hack part that's of interest. I can see that you gathered useful information other than just the focal length.

Is this going to be a future feature of Star Explorer?

Scott, see above re: how it works:-)

As of now it's a separate app in its early alpha stage, I only spent like one hour on it. Given the freebies Ziggy found on the 'Net, I'm not sure if I'm gonna spend much more time on it. I may, however, make it an add-on for some advanced S*E editions, since it was interesting even for myself to actually see some of those stats. Really gives you an idea of the focal length and ISO usage, for instance:-)

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited March 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks guys!

I wrote a little app that scans the files, extracts EXIF data and then puts it into Excel compatible files. Then you can unleash the whole power of Excel on it...:-)

Scott, see above re: how it works:-)

As of now it's a separate app in its early alpha stage, I only spent like one hour on it. Given the freebies Ziggy found on the 'Net, I'm not sure if I'm gonna spend much more time on it. I may, however, make it an add-on for some advanced S*E editions, since it was interesting even for myself to actually see some of those stats. Really gives you an idea of the focal length and ISO usage, for instance:-)

Cheers! 1drink.gif

Nik,

If you continue to work on your application, it would be nice if it ignores EXIF information with impossible values or no values, since Excel might be influenced by wierd data during a statistical analysis or graphical processing.

Thanks for your efforts,
    ziggy53
    edited March 15, 2007
    Ziggy,
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nik,

If you continue to work on your application, it would be nice if it ignores EXIF information with impossible values or no values, since Excel might be influenced by wierd data during a statistical analysis or graphical processing.

Thanks for your efforts,

You're not using S*E, are you? mwink.gif
    Otherwise you'd know that my apps are configurable "to the nines". :ivar
    So if I am to finish it (and I just may for the fun of it), you'll be able to choose what to show, export, chart and what not.. lol3.gif

Thank you for the encouragement! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Greywolf123Greywolf123 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    So
    Do you think I can get some credit or something for giving you the Idea :)

Just kidding
    edited March 15, 2007
    Greywolf,
    Do you think I can get some credit or something for giving you the Idea :)

Just kidding

Most certainly. thumb.gif
    I'll send you a free copy when I'm done (if you stiil gonna be interesed in it by that time:-)

And I'm not kidding deal.gif
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited March 17, 2007
    Want a new tool? Please help with some info!
    I'm working on this tool that would allow you to analyze your EXIF info en masse.
    To ensure it's easy to use I want to provide some configuration files for different camera makes/models (otherwise setting it up WILL be a major pain, trust me on thisdeal.gif ).
    I'm mostly interested in the current line of dSLRs, but high-end P&S will do, too. mwink.gif

If you want to help and you have images from camera that is not listed below (I will update the list as I get more data), please do the following:
    .... long and no longer needed instructions....

EDIT: I got enough data, thank you very much Seymore, Ziggy, Carmel and LiquidAir! iloveyou.gif
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Email sent for D70, D100 and F717... thumb.gif
    edited March 17, 2007
    Chris,
    Seymore wrote:
    Email sent for D70, D100 and F717... thumb.gif
    Got it, thanks! thumb.gif
    edited March 17, 2007
    Nik,

I sent info for Canon XT, Minolta Z2, Minolta A2.

Thanks for doing this! I should have more tomorrow or Monday (when I get home.)
    ziggy53
    edited March 17, 2007
    Ziggy,
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nik,

I sent info for Canon XT, Minolta Z2, Minolta A2.

Thanks for doing this! I should have more tomorrow or Monday (when I get home.)

Thanks!
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Sent you data from the Canon 5D. I took a little hunting to find a JPEG from my camera. Almost everything on my hard drive is either RAW or a RAW conversion.
    edited March 18, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Sent you data from the Canon 5D. I took a little hunting to find a JPEG from my camera. Almost everything on my hard drive is either RAW or a RAW conversion.

Got it, thank you!
    In fact, RAW conversions are fine, EXIF is preserved (AFAIK)