Options

Donation of Photos for Calendar?

Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited March 15, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey there, fellow Dgrinners!

This morning I was approached by a lady representing a ladies' auxiliary in a small town in Michigan, which I just happen to have vintage pictures of. She wanted to know if she bought them, could she use them in the calendar they sell in their fundraising efforts. She was very upfront about wanting to honor any copyright.

My idea, which I haven't approached her with yet, is to donate the use of a picture, maybe two, in return for my website name being printed on the pictures or at least credited in the calendar somewhere. I think this would support a good cause as it is a civic group which does good things for its community and it would get me some great exposure at virtually no cost to me.

Does anyone have an opinion on how to word my offer? Is this a good idea on my part? Is there anything specifically I should do or ask for to make sure everything is completely on the level and fair and safe for both parties?

Anybody have any similar experience? All suggestions are welcome.
Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Do you own the copyright to the images or do you just have possesion of someone else's pictures?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Do you own the copyright to the images or do you just have possesion of someone else's pictures?

I own original negatives from the late 1800s until early 1900s of the particular images she wants to use.

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    That still doesn't really answer his question.

Do you have the copywrite, who took the photos, how did you come in possesion of the neg's, etc?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Well, I was more intereted in the age of the originals. For all I knew the vintage photos were his original works.

However, given the 1800 date there probably is no enforceable copyright. See http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/copyrightterm.pdf

Doesn't matter how possession of the negatives was made.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well, I was more intereted in the age of the originals. For all I knew the vintage photos were his original works.

However, given the 1800 date there probably is no enforceable copyright. See http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/copyrightterm.pdf

Doesn't matter how possession of the negatives was made.

The collection ranges from original glass negatives from the late 1800s thru the early 1900s as well as original works that my own grandfather took from the 1940s-present day. I also have all mater of original odd sized original negatives.

Besides being public domain, I'm significantly restoring the images.

Either way, I am going to donate pictures, I've decided, and ask that they credit my website.

Thanks for posting that Cornell PDF doc.

Thanks for your input.