Newbie Question - Sharing Subset of a Gallery

chriscchrisc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited March 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I'm new to smugmug, and I have been trying to figure something out. I searched and checked the help pages, so maybe what I am trying to do is not possible (yet).

What I would like to do is share only a subset of photos in a galler (or multiple galleries).

What I would like to do is set up a share that basically allows me to pick and choose photos from one or more galleries, generate a URL for those images, then give that URL to friends/family to look at a photo set.

I do not want to share the whole gallery.

One way that I have found out how to do this is to make a new blank gallery, then go into my other galleries and duplicate images from those galleries, then copy the duplicates into the new gallery which I will share.

This seems a real clunky way to do it, and copying the photos seems to waste server space.

This feature is available on shutterfly to some extent, where you can create a share, select images from multiple albums to incude in the share, then generate a URL to send out that contains a new (logical) album that people can view, watch a slideshow of, etc.

Is this possible at this time with smugmug? Any plans for it in the future?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    chrisc wrote:
    Hi,

I'm new to smugmug, and I have been trying to figure something out. I searched and checked the help pages, so maybe what I am trying to do is not possible (yet).

What I would like to do is share only a subset of photos in a galler (or multiple galleries).

What I would like to do is set up a share that basically allows me to pick and choose photos from one or more galleries, generate a URL for those images, then give that URL to friends/family to look at a photo set.

I do not want to share the whole gallery.

One way that I have found out how to do this is to make a new blank gallery, then go into my other galleries and duplicate images from those galleries, then copy the duplicates into the new gallery which I will share.

This seems a real clunky way to do it, and copying the photos seems to waste server space.

This feature is available on shutterfly to some extent, where you can create a share, select images from multiple albums to incude in the share, then generate a URL to send out that contains a new (logical) album that people can view, watch a slideshow of, etc.

Is this possible at this time with smugmug? Any plans for it in the future?

The best way right now would be to apply a keyword to the photos you want to share. Such as "share1" or something, anything. Then, you share a link like this:

http://nickname.smugmug.com/keyword/share1

thumb.gif
  • chriscchrisc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The best way right now would be to apply a keyword to the photos you want to share. Such as "share1" or something, anything. Then, you share a link like this:

http://nickname.smugmug.com/keyword/share1

thumb.gif

Do the galleries have to be public? Mine are all private, and when I do the keyword thing I get this:

There are no photos for keyword BLAH.

Even though I have set keywords on multiple photos in multiple galleries.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    chrisc wrote:
    Do the galleries have to be public? Mine are all private, and when I do the keyword thing I get this:

There are no photos for keyword BLAH.

Even though I have set keywords on multiple photos in multiple galleries.
    Yes, at the present time, to use keywords, the galleries must be public.
    edited March 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, at the present time, to use keywords, the galleries must be public.

Ok, thanks Andy.

Do you see what I am getting at though with "dynamic" sharing, i.e. setting up a share that contains symbolic links to photo's across multiple galleries?

My reasons for using smugmug are photo backup, printing, and sharing. The photo backup aspect makes me want to upload more photos in a gallery than I would typically share with friends or family.

I want my friends and family to see the "cream of the crop" photos. For instance, I want to send some work friends a few key photo's from one of the kid's birthday's and a pic or two from vacation. But those galleries contain a bunch of photo's that are interesting to me and my wife, but not so much to work friends.

We also want to keep the photo's private.

Is there some way to submit this as a feature request? I can't be the only person that this would benefit.

Thanks,
    -Chris
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    chrisc wrote:
    Ok, thanks Andy.

Do you see what I am getting at though with "dynamic" sharing, i.e. setting up a share that contains symbolic links to photo's across multiple galleries?

My reasons for using smugmug are photo backup, printing, and sharing. The photo backup aspect makes me want to upload more photos in a gallery than I would typically share with friends or family.

I want my friends and family to see the "cream of the crop" photos. For instance, I want to send some work friends a few key photo's from one of the kid's birthday's and a pic or two from vacation. But those galleries contain a bunch of photo's that are interesting to me and my wife, but not so much to work friends.

We also want to keep the photo's private.

Is there some way to submit this as a feature request? I can't be the only person that this would benefit.

Thanks,
    -Chris

My suggestion would be to sort through your photos before you upload and upload the ones you want to share to one gallery and the others to a similarly named (append some suffix to the name you chose for the first one), but separate gallery. You can then just share the first gallery with your friends/family and the second one is just there for backup of your other images.

You are trying to sort through them after you upload and are wishing for features that smugmug doesn't have to make your workflow work. If you sort through them before you upload and put them in two different galleries, you can solve your problem with the features Smugmug does have now. After you've uploaded, you can still move photos between the two galleries (with move photo) if you later decide to add/remove something from the shared gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    chrisc wrote:

Thanks,
    -Chris

The feature request thread (sticky thread always at the top of the support forum) already has "virtual galleries" which is what you want, it also has requests for more security options (such as keywords working on private galleries) and such... read the thread. Your ideas are right in line with others here... definately chime in... Smugmug won't say what they are working on (they hint sometimes) but I know they are interested in our requests...
    edited March 15, 2007
    Ok, Thanks guys... I'm sorry, I should have done a better job of looking through the threads.

Thanks for the pointers!!!
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    If you are a Power User, then I would do the following:

* Put all of the photos in the gallery as usual
    * Keyword the ones you wish to be visible
    * Set up the gallery to be a "gallery redirect" to the keyword search.

You can then share the gallery as normal, safe in the knowledge that anyone who clicks on the gallery will be automatically redirected to the keyword search for "public" photos in that gallery.