LPS #1 - First Efforts

mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited March 16, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
These are a couple of ideas I've had.

The first is a bottle of white wine, I think I should re-shoot with more DOF, perhaps to get the label sharp as well as the ice at the front:

136238719-M.jpg

The second - 'Scotch on The Rocks'. I think this is near enough my finished image.

136238554-M.jpg

Both images were shot with pretty simple lighting - just side lit with a desk lamp.

Any comments welcome - thanks!

Matthew

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 15, 2007
    I like the 1st image more than the 2nd. The 2nd is just too abstract to really convey anything. I think the 1st image needs a few things:

The DOF is a bit shallow and I'm not sure it's really helping the image here. Just a touch more would be good.

More light, it's just too dark in general.

A wider angle. To me there's just not enough of the ice and bottle. Is it in an ice bucket? If so, I'd include that as well. If you take a wider shot then the shallow DOF might really work in your favor.

I'd also try to get some water beads on the bottle / bucket and have them in sharp focus and well lit. It would ad some texture to the image.
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Thanks for the comments! The wine is in the cooler now, so hopefully that will help get some nice condensation on the label.

Matthew
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Matthew,
    In its current form, I like #2 more.
    If you get a condensation on the label, #1 could be the champion...
    HTH thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 16, 2007
    Thanks Nikolai

Unfortunately, we emptied that bottle last night, so I need to buy another subject. I'll try and get one with a slighlty plastic label to hold the water drops.

Matthew
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    truth wrote:
    I like the 1st image more than the 2nd. The 2nd is just too abstract to really convey anything. I think the 1st image needs a few things:

The DOF is a bit shallow and I'm not sure it's really helping the image here. Just a touch more would be good.

More light, it's just too dark in general.

A wider angle. To me there's just not enough of the ice and bottle. Is it in an ice bucket? If so, I'd include that as well. If you take a wider shot then the shallow DOF might really work in your favor.

I'd also try to get some water beads on the bottle / bucket and have them in sharp focus and well lit. It would ad some texture to the image.

I agree with truth. The first image is my choice of the two and add in Truth's advice then you'll be singing. Cheers.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    edited March 16, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I've bought some new supplies; wine's in the 'fridge and ice is in the freezer...

Matthew