cmyk work around for PSE5

tazzztazzz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited March 16, 2007 in Finishing School
Does anyone know of a work around for this procedure in Photoshop Elements 5 ? It doesn't have the CMYK feature and curves doesn't work quite the same either.
" I changed to CMYK mode (Image>Mode>CMYK) and Ctrl-M, which will bring up the Curves menu. I selected Magenta from the menu and then while depressing Ctrl and Shift, I clicked on the rear of the front horse. I then checked the magenta value. I selected cyan and inserted a value approximately 1/2 of the magenta value captured, in the Output window. Then clicked on OK and returned to RGB mode (Image>Mode>RGB). "

I think this is a similar procedure to Smugmug's method for skin tone.
http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

thanks
taz

Comments

• BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Taz, although not exactly the same, the following helps:

C = R

M = G

Y = B

Usually the curve moves are opposite (unless the curve is setup to indicate values as ink % rather than light), so if in the M channel one may lower the curve point for a certain tone, but in RGB one would raise the G curve point for the same tone.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • tazzztazzz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2007
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Taz, although not exactly the same, the following helps:

C = R

M = G

Y = B

Usually the curve moves are opposite (unless the curve is setup to indicate values as ink % rather than light), so if in the M channel one may lower the curve point for a certain tone, but in RGB one would raise the G curve point for the same tone.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/

Thanks Stephen. Unfortunately there are no channels available in curves in PSE5. It's called "color curves" but there doesn't seem to be any way to actually adjust color. There are 6 presets available:
    Increase midtones
    Lighten shadows
    Backlight
    Increase contrast
    Darken highlights
    solarize
    If you open the advanced options in the curves window you get 4 sliders that control 4 points in the curve graph.
    Adjust highlights
    Midtone brightness
    Midtone contrast
    Adjust shadows.
    There are no options to work on any one color channel in the curves window. It seems to be just for adjusting the lighting.
    taz
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    tazzz wrote:
    Thanks Stephen. Unfortunately there are no channels available in curves in PSE5. It's called "color curves" but there doesn't seem to be any way to actually adjust color. There are 6 presets available:
    Increase midtones
    Lighten shadows
    Backlight
    Increase contrast
    Darken highlights
    solarize
    If you open the advanced options in the curves window you get 4 sliders that control 4 points in the curve graph.
    Adjust highlights
    Midtone brightness
    Midtone contrast
    Adjust shadows.
    There are no options to work on any one color channel in the curves window. It seems to be just for adjusting the lighting.
    taz

If I remember right (though my Elements memory is fading), you can address individual channels in the Elements Levels dialog. If so, you could make some color moves using that. Since you only have three control points, you don't get as much control, but you can do some things. Might be worth a try. Elements also has direct Tint and Temperature controls which might be even easier to manipulate.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question