Options

DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited March 16, 2007 in People
Last year, when my daughter was 12, I tried to take some shots of her to capture the age. I'm doing the same this year... though unfortunately, she tends to look a lot older than 13!

Anywhere, here's some shots... would love your thoughts...

bored.jpg

waiting.jpg

And something totally different...

waitingforspring.jpg

Thanks!
Amy :D
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

Comments

• Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    I like them all very much.
    This period is very interesting for me as a photographer.
    I have one photo at my exhibition of a girl at this age.
    We in Russia have two different words for these ages:
    devochka and devushka
    (little girl and girl)
    What strikes me - their eyes! They are filled with such a wisdom, as though they are not 12-13 but 45-48!

2856.jpg

Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Hi Aim,

Love the bw's! I can't believe how old she's getting. What was she... 7 the first time I saw a pic of her? Amazing.

Like the poses and mood of the first two quite a bit.

I think the color one has more potential. I don't say this too often, but maybe it can use a little cross-processing? Or saturation/contrast? Seems just a little flat, but otherwise I like the idea.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    i think your first picture is excellent. i like the use of the angle and the lighting looks great. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    [imgl]http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/56141491-M-1.jpg[/imgl]
    DRabbit wrote:
    Last year, when my daughter was 12, I tried to take some shots of her to capture the age. I'm doing the same this year... though unfortunately, she tends to look a lot older than 13!

Nice work - and I know what you mean. My daughter is going to be 16 this year. Where does the time go?
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Yuri - the shot you shared is beautiful. It is such an interesting age... they are caught between being a child and an adult (but they are convinced they KNOW IT ALL! Laughing.gif). This is also the age of "my parents are dumb". mwink.gif

Jim - Yup, the time goes by way too fast. You're not into the hormone crazies yet with yours, but you will be soon! You have my sympathy :giggle

I knew you'd like the B&W . hehe
    The color one... well that was an odd one. I'll have to fool around with the color a bit more. I was trying to capture the contrast between her and the bland winter background and I already did a bit of selective PSing.

Andy - Your daughter is beautiful! They grow up so fast, don't they? My stepson is 19, in college and driving now and it just floors me to look at him and see this man, not this little boy anymore!

Thank you all for the comments :)
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor

• Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Amy, I like the last photo. It may not be the look into her sould through her eyes but to me it says: I'm old enough to take this world - inhale it and enjoy it.

I hope you don't mind that we all are hijacking this thread a bit. I too find it that my 13 year old daughter oscilates between a child and a young woman at a wim. (And almost always opposite to the situation rolleyes1.gif)

I have posted this photo of Michelle before but I think it suits the theme perfectly.
    Michelle-on-garden-stairs_MG_0971.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Don't mind the hijack at all Ted - what good is a photography forum if we don't share our photos :)

How right you are - just when you expect they'll act older you find yourself saying "come on now, you're too old for that"... and just when you're not ready for it there she goes acting in such a way that makes you say "Sorry, you're not old enough yet".

That's a beautiful picture... I love the b&w treatment. There is something about the expression on your daughter's face that is just perfectly suiting to the age. Really great job capturing it!

I did something similar when mine was 12... I did a few that were inspired by Sally Mann's book "Twelve" (as was part of a photography challenge)...

attwelve5s.jpg