350D Price Increase

chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited March 18, 2007 in Cameras
I just checked B&H and Adorama's websites, and the 350D body seems to have increased from $488 to $515. Anyone have any idea why this might be?
I'd think old outgoing tech would only drop in price?
Currently Using:
body: canon 400d
lenses:
50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

Grant Shapiro Design & Photography

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 16, 2007
    chopsky wrote:
    I just checked B&H and Adorama's websites, and the 350D body seems to have increased from $488 to $515. Anyone have any idea why this might be?

Declining value of the US dollar against the Yen??
  • chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Declining value of the US dollar against the Yen??

ok, wasnt aware of that. thanks
    Currently Using:
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 16, 2007
    chopsky wrote:
    ok, wasnt aware of that. thanks

Hey, that was mostly meant as a joke. mwink.gif While it's true that the dollar is declining, one wouldn't expect to see much of a short term impact on any given model. If the trend continues long term, then we should expect to see the prices of all Japanese goods rise--cameras, cars, electronics, etc. Stay tuned.
  • chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hey, that was mostly meant as a joke. mwink.gif While it's true that the dollar is declining, one wouldn't expect to see much of a short term impact on any given model. If the trend continues long term, then we should expect to see the prices of all Japanese goods rise--cameras, cars, electronics, etc. Stay tuned.

heh Ok. I live in South Africa, so I havent been following the dollar in relation to other currencies (besides our own) too closely.
    Will be in NY next week, hoping to go to B&H to buy my SLR. Just thought it was a bit strange when the 350D was the only thing on my list that went up in price :P
    Currently Using:
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

• henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    chopsky wrote:
    Actually, the current price is a return to the retail price we had as recently as mid-February. Market conditions, availability, competitor's prices, and so on contribute to short-term price fluctuations.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    You know you're participating in the right forum when you see Mr. Posner responding to posts about B&H. That's just awesome and yet another reason why they are a favorite vendor!
  • esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    You know you're participating in the right forum when you see Mr. Posner responding to posts about B&H. That's just awesome and yet another reason why they are a favorite vendor!
    Agreed! I was going to head down there today, but realized they close at 5PM and not 6PM on Sundays. :(
  • kenyahudsonkenyahudson Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    While Mr. Posner is here:D, about how long do you think new Digital Rebel XTs will be sold? I assume Canon has stopped producing new ones. Is it just a matter of whenever the stock is sold out?
    Photos: http://www.kenyahudson.com
    Profiles: Lightstalkers | Sportsshooter
    Gear:
    Canon 40D | Canon 350D | Tokina 17/3.5 | Sigma 30mm/1.4 | EF 50mm/1.4 | EF 85mm/1.8 | EF 200mm/2.8L II | EF 300mm/4.0L | Canonet QL 17 GIII | Yashica 635 | Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter & Triggers | Canon 430EX | Nikon SB-24 (x2) | Bogen 3208 Tripod