Options

CNAME problems

Emmanuel CoupeEmmanuel Coupe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited March 16, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm having serious problems solving setting up a CNAME record to point to smugmug.
My registar is Godaddy.com however they are not my hosting company so there is no way to access total DNS control as the tutorial here states I have to do. I called godaddy and they confirmed that my hosting company needs to provide me with that information and service. This is when my troubles begin.
Generalhosting.com which is my hosting company has the worst support possible. When I emailed them 'How do I set up a CNAME record for my domain to point to www.smugmug.com?' I got no answer, when I called them they said we are not here to give lessons and when finally I called again they initially said this can't be done but then suggested I email them again with more details, saying they might be able to do it for me :rolleyes.
So the first email I sent them ('How do I set up a CNAME record for my domain to point to www.smugmug.com?') was clearly not enough for them, any suggestions what I should ask them this time so they are sure to understand what I’m asking?
They clearly stated to me that I cannot do it myself through the control panel they have set up for costumers to which I have access and that if it can be done at all they would have to do it.
[FONT=&quot]Can anyone help me sort this mess?[/FONT]
www.emmanuelcoupe.com

"Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We did not weave the web of life; We are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselvs.." Chief Seattle

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Mano photo wrote:
    [FONT=&quot]Can anyone help me sort this mess?[/FONT]

Well, they sure don't work the way we do, bummer. Sorry you are getting the major hassle from them!

I don't have much to say, it's really a simple, trivial thing:

CNAME record for

www.yourdomain.com
    to
    www.smugmug.com

that's ALL they should need to know.

Can you just move your hosting over to Godaddy? ear.gif
  • Options
    Emmanuel CoupeEmmanuel Coupe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Well, they sure don't work the way we do, bummer. Sorry you are getting the major hassle from them!
    If you can call what they do work.

Andy wrote:
    Can you just move your hosting over to Godaddy? ear.gif
    I will email them like they asked and see, if they come through fine, if not I will consider going with godaddy for my hosting needs.
    www.emmanuelcoupe.com

"Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We did not weave the web of life; We are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselvs.." Chief Seattle
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Mano photo wrote:
    Generalhosting.com which is my hosting company has the worst support possible.

I would say you need to find a new hosting company.

Oh, and say away from godaddy if you value your domain name...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug