LPS #! - Taken Today

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited March 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Exif

136494243-L.jpg

Winter's last gasp (I hope) leaves a chilly blanket on a peaceful country graveyard. C&C weldome.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    This is a beautiful shot.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    I concur. I love what you did with the colors.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Great shot, and nice take on the current themethumb.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Virginia,
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Winter's last gasp (I hope) leaves a chilly blanket on a peaceful country graveyard. C&C weldome.

Virginia

Didn't you have a photo-block or something? mwink.gif
    JK, nice shot! iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    BBRRRRR.

Nailed the concept I think. Great tonal balance, especially since the flag's red is still *red* and not purple. thumb.gif

(and yes, let's hope old man winter is DONE.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • tomthephotographertomthephotographer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Lincoln Said " There are no enemies in cementaries." This is a cold and lonsome place good work.
    Canon 40D. Lens Sigma 170-500, Tamron 75-300, Quantaray 19-35,
    Bogan Tripod. Gaint Yukon 25' Bike,

Like it or not we most often get what we deserve in the end.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging responses. iloveyou.gif

Yes, Nik, it has been a hard two weeks photographically speaking, for many reasons, most not even related to the Challenge. The snow yesterday provided the inspiration I needed to get out and try to capture the feel of the day. Fortunately, the feel was chilly. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging responses. iloveyou.gif

Yes, Nik, it has been a hard two weeks photographically speaking, for many reasons, most not even related to the Challenge. The snow yesterday provided the inspiration I needed to get out and try to capture the feel of the day. Fortunately, the feel was chilly. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

I can relate to that! great shot...!

Winston
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    I echo all the above, great shot and fine use of selective colouring.

Matthew
    edited March 17, 2007
    mwalters wrote:
    I echo all the above, great shot and fine use of selective colouring.

Matthew

Thanks for your comments, Matthew. Perhaps I shouldn't confess this, but the photo is 100% in color. The flag was the only thing in the frame that was brightly colored. The weather conditions, which were near perfect for the shot, created the selective coloring not the photographer!

Virginia

Email
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 17, 2007
    Nice image. I love shots of heavy fat stellar snowflakes. I shot some video a few years back of a similar scene that is my favorite clip I've ever produced.

Re: selective color here ~ If you look closely you can see the green in the coniferous trees and some red in the bark of the deciduous trees.
    edited March 17, 2007
    Thanks for your comments, Truth. I like the subtle colors in the picture and was not tempted at all to convert to b&w. I love almost monochrome pictures anyway.

Your video sounds like it would be really beautiful. I don't know if you took it of a cemetery, but I find them very peaceful and sometimes incredibly beautiful places. Add fat snow flakes and the effect can be magical.

Virginia

Email
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    i like the almost overwhelming snow and the flag looks great, but i feel like the shot looks a bit over sharpened or over processed. maybe it's not sharpened or processed at all, but that's what i'm seeing
    edited March 17, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    i like the almost overwhelming snow and the flag looks great, but i feel like the shot looks a bit over sharpened or over processed. maybe it's not sharpened or processed at all, but that's what i'm seeing

Thanks for your comments and observations. thumb.gif

I sort of see what you mean about the overall impact of the picture. But, as you thought might be the case, the picture was very lightly processed (I set a black, neutral and white point) and very lightly sharpened with USM. I've double checked on screen and on a print and I don't think it is at all over sharpened. For some reason the contrast of the basic black, white and grey of the scene along with the effect of the falling snow gives the photograph a stylized look that (for me) makes it pop in a way that seems almost unreal. I find it pleasing but I can see that not everyone would agree. mwink.gif

Virginia

Email
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Very nice, I'd eliminate the fence post in the right hand corner which keeps distracting my eye, even when I go away and come back to it. With it I miss that it's a graveyard completely, despite the flag.
    edited March 18, 2007
    Thanks for commenting, Lynne. I really appreciate it. I tried the crop but after looking at both versions, I find that I prefer the proportions without the crop. I admit that knowing that the object on the right is a grave stone and not a fence post may be influencing me. rolleyes1.gifThere is no doubt a lesson there, but I have to make the call, hard as it is to chose.

By the way, I really like your entry. Isn't it great that after such a slow start there are so many entries!! Good luck!

Virginia

Email