Options

SE: Answers for Marjorie

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
Marjorie,
thank you for giving SE a whurl!
marjorie wrote:
I discovered your product today. I read all the entries on your home page and on Digital Grin and in your Blog. I have a few questions. I could not figure out how to add the questions to Digital Grin without replying to an existing entry.
As one of my university professors would say, "It's not a question, it's a statement":-) JK:-)

To start a new post (like this one) you need to navigate to a section level, outside the particular thread. Once you're in a proper location, you'll see a little "New Thread" link just above the thread list, on a left-hand side of the screen...

marjorie wrote:
1. If I add captions in SE, will they be saved to my existing files on my disk drive in the IPTC format? Will the uploaded photos have the captions saved with the file in IPTC format?
No, they won't.
Smugmug itself can extract captions from IPTC.
Smugmug Explorer is not a photoalbum software and, as I explained before, it's highly unlikely it will ever be. Its main goal is to bring your smugmug data "closer", enhancing, but not replacing the original - and very nice - server's functionality.
SE can help you though with reading that info already (see EXIF/IPTC info in the Caption/Keywords Editor). That functionality will most likely be improved, and I will also make your manual input persistent (stored), so you would not need to retype it in case you decide to re-upload. However, I'm going to do it in a non-destructive way, so it will not affect any existing EXIF/IPTC/image data. Once again, SE is not ACDSee, iPhoto or any of that kind.
marjorie wrote:
2. I downloaded the Microsoft GDI + but did not see how its features were accessed from within SE. Was I supposed to put the DLL in the same folder as SE? I installed it using the defaults.
If you running SE on an XP machine, you alread have GDI+. Otherwise, the only way to see it "in action" is to select/create an album to upload and add/drop some files "to" it. If select a single image then and you see a preview - GDI+ works:-).
It is also used when converting other types to jpeg, but this one is hard to notice..
marjorie wrote:
I do not have lots of photos to upload, but I would like to add the captions to the photo file in IPTC format. I am not sure that that happened.
If you need your captions to be in IPTC you'd have to use some relevant tool, I'm afraid...
marjorie wrote:
By the way, it seems that somewhere in the 15 pages of messages on Digital Grin, you asked that people write to you using the Blog, but I could not find how to do that. I remember your commenting that you would get the message in gmail. Maybe I got the request mixed up and you wanted people to use the method I am now using. It would be nice if this information were in an easily referenced place on the Smugmug Explorer Home Page and on the Blog.
I will rearrange the home page, once I get some spare time. We're VERY busy at work currently. Last night instead of watching "24" I was "working 24". Well, technically it was only 20, 4 hours shy of full 24, but with the overhead it was even more than 24 hours straight.. Not that I'm bitter:-), but that's my - pretty lame, I admit:-) - explanation for being outrageously late with my answer to you, for which delay I apologize - I'm usually better than that..:-)
marjorie wrote:
Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
Best wishes,
Marjorie
Thank you for being patient!
Hope you'll like what you got in SE!

Cheers!:1drink
"May the f/stop be with you!"