What lens for xTi and youth soccer

rdenichilordenichilo Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Sports
My Canon 75-300 IS is dying, and I am considering replacing it. Have a series of questions for everyone:

1. What lenses (in a comparable price range as L series is out of budget) do others recommend to go with my xTi?

2. Is the IS really needed for outdoor youth soccer?

3. Any significant difference in the Canon 75-300 IS and non-IS versions (other than price)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• RandyjkRandyjk Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    rdenichilo wrote:
    My Canon 75-300 IS is dying, and I am considering replacing it. Have a series of questions for everyone:

1. What lenses (in a comparable price range as L series is out of budget) do others recommend to go with my xTi?

3. Any significant difference in the Canon 75-300 IS and non-IS versions (other than price)

Your cheapest yet highest quality zoom solution would be either the 70-300 IS or the 70-200 F4. The 70-200 F4 might be a hair sharper and better contrast than the 70-300, although the 70-300 is not as sharp at 300 as it is at 200. You could get either used for about $500. I wouldn't get a lesser lens; exception being the 200 2.8 which isn't much cheaper and can be found for a lot more than $500 to boot. I realize these lenses are more than your current lens but its well worth stepping up.

Any of these lenses would be a great improvement over your current lens. IS won't buy you much with action sports where you generally want fast shutter speeds.
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    rden,

I had the 75-300 which I had bought about 8 years ago to work on my old film version Canon Rebel. I stepped up to the Canon Rebel Digital XT about 2 years ago. This past summer I dropped my 75-300 in the rivereek7.gif . Needinf to replace the lost lense, I looked at the two lenses that Randy suggested..the 75-300 IS and the 70-200 L f/4. I ended up buying the 70-200 L f/4.0. I really like the lense, but I miss the reach of the 300. With the 70-200...I seem to have amore difficult time getting a really sharp picture while handholding. At times I wished I had tried the 70-300 IS...with my limited experience..I'm wondering if the IS would have help me during handheld shots. In addition the 70-200 L requires a new collar for using a tripod..another $100.
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    rdenichilo wrote:

You might also want to take a look at the Tamron 28-300. I know most people have a knee jerk reaction to Tamron as being "cheap", but the pictures my friend is delivering has me thinking of adding it to my bag (we both shoot the xti).

Just my 2 cents worth.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • kenyahudsonkenyahudson Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    As others have mentioned, the 70-300 f/4.0-f/5.6 IS is a good choice. The quality of the lens is considered better than the 75-300 III series and there is added value in the image stabilization. It is a bit over budget, but the 75-300mm is Canon's lowest priced telephoto zoom series. The IS is not necessary for outdoor youth soccer. In most cases, you will shoot at shutter speeds (i.e. 1/500 or higher) that would minimize the effects of camera shake. However, the IS becomes important if you also would like to employ the lens for other uses handheld like team photos, individual photos or non-sports subjects.
    Photos: http://www.kenyahudson.com
    Profiles: Lightstalkers | Sportsshooter
    Gear:
    Canon 40D | Canon 350D | Tokina 17/3.5 | Sigma 30mm/1.4 | EF 50mm/1.4 | EF 85mm/1.8 | EF 200mm/2.8L II | EF 300mm/4.0L | Canonet QL 17 GIII | Yashica 635 | Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter & Triggers | Canon 430EX | Nikon SB-24 (x2) | Bogen 3208 Tripod
  • rdenichilordenichilo Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Thanks for all the input. I am going to look at the 70-300 IS, but does anyone else have info on the Tameron?
    edited March 24, 2007
    Ok, pulled the trigger on the 70-300 IS. I'll post some pics later this weekend. Hopefully we'll get some good shots.
    edited March 25, 2007
    Soccer Saturday
    Here are just a few from this weekend with the new lens. A little bit of post done, but not much. What do you think?

138569339-M.jpg

138569297-M.jpg

138569255-M.jpg

138569223-M.jpg

138569199-M.jpg

138569160-M.jpg

136722313#138569339-S-LB
    edited March 28, 2007
    Bump
    Any feed back on how to improve those shots? They are some samples with the new lens.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Looks good to me. Only the 2 with mulitple players in them would look better cropped in tight around the ball handler and opponent.

As for the lens it looks to be nice and sharp.

If it were me (and it was not:D ) I would've went for a used Sigma 70-200/2.8.

Youth soccer seems to always have crappy backgrounds and the 2.8 aperture would help eliminate some of it.

Good shots though, better than I got last fall with my old camera.

Looking forward to next month when I can use my 30d for the first time for sports (sort of- U5 girlsrolleyes1.gif )

gene
    edited March 29, 2007
    kini62 wrote:
    Looks good to me. Only the 2 with mulitple players in them would look better cropped in tight around the ball handler and opponent.

As for the lens it looks to be nice and sharp. The sigma was just out of budget range at the moment.

If it were me (and it was not:D ) I would've went for a used Sigma 70-200/2.8.

Youth soccer seems to always have crappy backgrounds and the 2.8 aperture would help eliminate some of it.

Good shots though, better than I got last fall with my old camera.

Looking forward to next month when I can use my 30d for the first time for sports (sort of- U5 girlsrolleyes1.gif )

gene
    I agree that cropping in tighter would help those shots. While the lens is sharp, I did sharpen them in elements (unsharp mask 150, 1.9, 1)

Any other suggestions on how to sharpen the action but blur the background?
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    sharpness is good. Action is good. But backgrounds are killing you. You have 2 choices:

1. Select better spots to shoot from if they exist where the background won't be spectators or cars.

2. Shoot as much at full zoom as possible with the lens wide open.

Otherwise I think you're doing a really good job!!
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    rdenichilo wrote:
    Any feed back on how to improve those shots? They are some samples with the new lens.

those are very good
    crop tighter and shoot wide open to blur the backgrounds (the backgrounds are not bad as is)
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    those are very good
    crop tighter and shoot wide open to blur the backgrounds (the backgrounds are not bad as is)
    Same for me if i was asked to critique. What F stop did you use ?
    edited March 30, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Same for me if i was asked to critique. What F stop did you use ?
    Most are shot at 5.6, which is the widest this lens goes when fully zoomed (Canon 70-300 IS).

I really appreciate the feedback. Its very encouraging.

One more question. Would upgrading the body (currently xTi) improve image quality of these types of shots? I am specifically interested in color and contrast.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    rdenichilo wrote:
    Watch your backgrounds, they are busy and unattractive. That's part of the beauty of f/2.8 glass -- you open up the aperture all the way and the backgrounds go much more blurred than you can get with the lens you have.

Given you said your budget didn't allow a better lens your best other alternative is to be very selective with where you take the pictures from.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    rdenichilo wrote:
    One more question. Would upgrading the body (currently xTi) improve image quality of these types of shots? I am specifically interested in color and contrast.
    For color and constrast improvements? Doubtful the body would help too much there. Your xTI has in-camera settings for color and contrast you know... Learn to use those. Or shoot RAW and adjust that in Photoshop later.

Will a new body help? In other ways it will help a lot. A 1-series has a larger sensor which will lower your depth of field, which will help some. It has substantially auto-focus and tracking which will also help, especially when shooting wide-open. But you really need a better lens. Sorry, but you can't skimp on glass.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited March 30, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    For color and constrast improvements? Doubtful the body would help too much there. Your xTI has in-camera settings for color and contrast you know... Learn to use those. Or shoot RAW and adjust that in Photoshop later.

Will a new body help? In other ways it will help a lot. A 1-series has a larger sensor which will lower your depth of field, which will help some. It has substantially auto-focus and tracking which will also help, especially when shooting wide-open. But you really need a better lens. Sorry, but you can't skimp on glass.

Thanks for the comments. They help. I am asking because while I could not get the better lens this time, I am planning for the next upgrade. With next set of sales I am trying to decide which is the better route, body or glass? My thought would be glass, and it looks like that is what you would also recommend. But I wanted to better understand what benefit would a new body give me.
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    rdenichilo wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. They help. I am asking because while I could not get the better lens this time, I am planning for the next upgrade. With next set of sales I am trying to decide which is the better route, body or glass? My thought would be glass, and it looks like that is what you would also recommend. But I wanted to better understand what benefit would a new body give me.

i'd upgrade the lens before the body
    the 70-200 2.8 non IS is a good deal and a very good lens