30D - Aperture/Shutter Speed does not automatically change

oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited March 18, 2007 in Cameras
I have this problem with my 30D's built-in flash when my setting is either on Av or Tv priority.

As I understood it, whenever I pop up the built-in flash, the shutter speed (in Av) or aperture (in Tv) will automatically adjust to provide the needed exposure. The problem is the value does not change (both Av and Tv), even after a series of flash burts, i.e. the shutter speed, or aperture remains like before the flash unit pop up.

What could be the reason? Funny thing is the value is automatically adjusted if I set to P or A-DEP.

Or, should I contact my Canon support? BTW, my firmware is the latest - 1.0.5; custom functions are currently at their default values.
Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited March 17, 2007
    oddstuff wrote:
    I have this problem with my 30D's built-in flash when my setting is either on Av or Tv priority.

As I understood it, whenever I pop up the built-in flash, the shutter speed (in Av) or aperture (in Tv) will automatically adjust to provide the needed exposure. The problem is the value does not change (both Av and Tv), even after a series of flash burts, i.e. the shutter speed, or aperture remains like before the flash unit pop up.

What could be the reason? Funny thing is the value is automatically adjusted if I set to P or A-DEP.

Or, should I contact my Canon support? BTW, my firmware is the latest - 1.0.5; custom functions are currently at their default values.
    There's nothing wrong with your camera. When you are shooting with flash in Av or Tv mode, the camera will meter for the background and the flash will automatically correct the exposure of the subject (or whatever the autofocus has selected :D). Basically, it is providing fill flash in those modes. You can modify the amount of flash by setting the flash exposure compensation (FEC) on the camera. This is independent of the main exposure compensation.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you understand the difference flash as the primary source of light (in P or Auto modes) and fill flash (in Av or Tv) you will do fine.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    You can read an excellent explanation of how flash and exposure metering differ betwewen modes at http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html#confusion. If you want to know a ton about how EOS flash works, read the entire article. The bottom line is your camera is not broken. It behaves quite differently in the different modes and lighting situations when it comes to flash.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Thx. I got it. That's different from my previous S2. thumb.gif
    Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
    About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).