LPS Steamed Lobster

JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited March 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi,

I feel rather awkward sending a pic to the challange as a newbie, especially since the entered contest pictures are so good. I tried a steamy and I thought I'd at least share it. Does it seem steamy to anyone? If it doesn't, I hope someone will say so. Even if it's too terrible to enter in the challenge, it was a lot of fun to do.

http://alpinelane.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=136563763

136563763-L.jpg

Thanks, Jill
Jill

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    steamed lobster...
    Jill,

No need to feel awkward at all... the contest is open to all registered dgrinnersthumb.gif I love the idea of the steamed lobster! This shot though just doesn't do it... the bigest reason is that you are using a fake lobster... I would try it with a real lobster being placed into the boiling/steaming pot of water...

went to your site and saw a nice shot of a female Cardinal in the snow... could be chilly... ne_nau.gif any way welcome to dgrin...

Winston
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Jill,

No need to feel awkward at all... the contest is open to all registered dgrinnersthumb.gif I love the idea of the steamed lobster! This shot though just doesn't do it... the bigest reason is that you are using a fake lobster... I would try it with a real lobster being placed into the boiling/steaming pot of water...

went to your site and saw a nice shot of a female Cardinal in the snow... could be chilly... ne_nau.gif any way welcome to dgrin...

Winston

Thanks Winston. I don't have time for a reshoot. I did the cardinal thinking of chilled but decided it wasn't so good.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm happy to be here wings.gif

Jill
    Jill
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Welcome to dGrin!! wave.gif You will find folks friendly and supportive on this and the other dGrin threads. Everyone is equal in the challenges. The only thing that counts is your photograph. Not how long you have been a dGrinner!!

I agree with Winston's comments about the lobster picture but wouild like to add that having tried myself (unsuccessfully) to capture some pictures with steam, you did a nice job. Whether you enter the challenge or not (and I hope you will) you have already discovered some of the fun - exploring new techniques and pushing your limits to do better.

If you have time, could you post your Cardinal picture?

Virginia

Email
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    You know, I've been on a LOT of photography message boards and this is BY FAR the best one! GREAT constructive criticism and wonderful support!

Anyway, definitely go with the cardinal! Bump the contrast a bit, maybe crop a little closer, but that's a really good photo!

The lobster is good, but not great. I think the others were right about the cardinal, though!

Hope you enter! It's fun learning even if you don't win! (But that is a great shot of the bird.... :D )
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    I get the steamed message from this shot. One possibility to make the fake lobster can work better is to make a joke about it in the picture. One possiblity is horror movie like lighting with the lobster coming at the camera out of the steam.

As for entering the competition, always take your best shot and go for it. Don't get hung up on whether you have a "winning" shot or not--let the judges decide that. Having fun and becoming a better photographer are what this competition are about. If you acheive both of those, you win. And if you really want to win, remember that the last qualifying round is a year from now. Taking the time now to develop your skills and vision will have a huge effect between now and then.
    edited March 18, 2007
    Sorry to be so thick, but I can't figure out how to get to Jill's gallery to see the Cardinal picture. :cry Help.:help

Virginia

Email
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Sorry to be so thick, but I can't figure out how to get to Jill's gallery to see the Cardinal picture. :cry Help.:help

Virginia

Gina,

She has her exif info link on the original post... her site url is www.alpinelane.smugmug.com :D

Winston
    edited March 18, 2007
    Thanks, Winston. thumb.gif I knew it was simple and that I should should have figured it out. But sometimes the ole grey cells just don't kick into gear. rolleyes1.gif

Jill, I agree that a little work on contrast and maybe cropping of your female cardinal and you may have an entry!!

Virginia

Email
    edited March 18, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Welcome to dGrin!! wave.gif You will find folks friendly and supportive on this and the other dGrin threads. Everyone is equal in the challenges. The only thing that counts is your photograph. Not how long you have been a dGrinner!!

I agree with Winston's comments about the lobster picture but wouild like to add that having tried myself (unsuccessfully) to capture some pictures with steam, you did a nice job. Whether you enter the challenge or not (and I hope you will) you have already discovered some of the fun - exploring new techniques and pushing your limits to do better.

If you have time, could you post your Cardinal picture?

Virginia

Thanks for the kind words, and the welcome. It is exciting to try a new technique. Here's the cardinal. 136934373-L.jpg

Jill
    Jill
    edited March 18, 2007
    Hi
    You know, I've been on a LOT of photography message boards and this is BY FAR the best one! GREAT constructive criticism and wonderful support!

Anyway, definitely go with the cardinal! Bump the contrast a bit, maybe crop a little closer, but that's a really good photo!

The lobster is good, but not great. I think the others were right about the cardinal, though!

Hope you enter! It's fun learning even if you don't win! (But that is a great shot of the bird.... :D )

Thanks for your support, and yes, it is fun learning . I'm going to love on dgrin.
    Jill
    Jill
    edited March 18, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I get the steamed message from this shot. One possibility to make the fake lobster can work better is to make a joke about it in the picture. One possiblity is horror movie like lighting with the lobster coming at the camera out of the steam.

As for entering the competition, always take your best shot and go for it. Don't get hung up on whether you have a "winning" shot or not--let the judges decide that. Having fun and becoming a better photographer are what this competition are about. If you acheive both of those, you win. And if you really want to win, remember that the last qualifying round is a year from now. Taking the time now to develop your skills and vision will have a huge effect between now and then.

A horror movie like lobster, cool idea :D. Thanks for the advice, I think you're right. I feel photography is the best journey I've ever been on !

Jill
    Jill
    edited March 18, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thanks, Winston. thumb.gif I knew it was simple and that I should should have figured it out. But sometimes the ole grey cells just don't kick into gear. rolleyes1.gif

Jill, I agree that a little work on contrast and maybe cropping of your female cardinal and you may have an entry!!

Virginia
    oops missed this post, already replied with a photo.

Jill
    Jill
    edited March 18, 2007
    I see you posted your cardinal. Good luck!!

Virginia

Email
    edited March 18, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I see you posted your cardinal. Good luck!!

Virginia

Thanks Virginia, This is such a great place to be, lots of supportive people. I just wanted to join in the challenge too.

Good luck to you too
    Jill
    Jill