EXIF info question???

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited March 19, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Don't know if this is the correct forum for this?.. any way, I have been shooting in raw mode lately, specifically for the LPS contest… when I am done post processing in PS and I save the image as a jpg once uploaded to my site I can only see very limited EXIF info… it only gives me the date modified not the origination date?!?

When I look at file info in PS I can see all of the info… why is this? and do I need to do something different to get all the info to show? Or is it fine the way it is?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Hi, please be very detailed - what sofware, exactly, do you use? Typically, if you choose "Save As" that will preserve all the exif.

Tell us more so we can help you! Leave NOTHING out.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, please be very detailed - what sofware, exactly, do you use? Typically, if you choose "Save As" that will preserve all the exif.

Tell us more so we can help you! Leave NOTHING out.

I shoot with a Nikon D100, the raw format is a .NEF, I do all post processing in Adobe PhotoShop CS... once I have tweeked the raw file and opened it in photoshop, I save it as a jpg of quality 12... then I will continue post processing, crop, adjustment layers, sharpen, whatever the image needs... then I flaten and re-save the image...
    attached below is what I see in photoshop file info for EXIF data... this is the link to the same image exif info on my site... http://www.vxphotography.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=136839060
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    There is a couple of ways to save as a jpg.....that is....SAVE AS......and SAVE for the WEB......If you SAVE for the WEB...you loose all the exif data....but as long as you SAVE AS it should send all the exif data right along with the jpg......now I always save my work as the larges jpg possbile (#12) so I do not know if you save as a number 5, lets say, if the exif still accompanies a low grade jpg.

Hope this helps

EDIT....I see Andy has come by to help...I got interrupted for a while before I could post my reply:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 18, 2007
    Sure looks like you are doing something to lose the exif on the way. Wonder if there are any funky settings in PS?

What uploader are you using, btw?
    edited March 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sure looks like you are doing something to lose the exif on the way. Wonder if there are any funky settings in PS?

the prefered uploader... drag and drop into the green smuggy
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    I loaned out my Camera Raw book ..so I cannot use it for exact referencing of what I need....
    Andy are you supposed to set up your exif data in CS to be in a sidecar to be moved along with the image after processing in PSCS?

Dang I can't remember exactly what I had to do whemn loading up PSCS in my machine..but it seems like I had to do something that was in the Camera Raw book....ne_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I turned off the safety for this gallery so I could download the original and the large of the same chicken photo from my site... the original has the exif info intact and the large has no exif info?!?!? So it seems like smugmug is stripping the info when processing the different sizes... this is the first time I have had this issue... and it only seems to be with raw file originals???ne_nau.gif

Winston
    edited March 18, 2007
    So it seems like smugmug is stripping the info when processing the different sizes...
    Winston
    We don't keep the exif in the resized display copies. The exif is with your original, but it's being corrupted somehow, typically this happens with conversion of NEF raw files. How are you processing the RAW file, exactly?
    edited March 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We don't keep the exif in the resized display copies. The exif is with your original, but it's being corrupted somehow, typically this happens with conversion of NEF raw files. How are you processing the RAW file, exactly?

I am using the photoshop cs plug in for processing of the raw files...
    edited March 18, 2007
    OK. Send me a raw file from your Nikon, will you?

You can use yousendit.com

My email address is in my profile (click on my pic here).
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007

There are ways to do that and break the chain with your EXIF. For instance, if you make the RAW conversion a smart object. Can you outline your steps from RAW to JPEG?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    There are ways to do that and break the chain with your EXIF. For instance, if you make the RAW conversion a smart object. Can you outline your steps from RAW to JPEG?

I use the PSCS file browser, choose the raw file I want then I double click on it to open... it opens in the pscs raw file plug in where I can make a myriad of adjustments... once adjustments are complete I click on the "OK" button and the image opens in pscs... At this point it is still a .nef once open in pscs I choose file-save as and I save the image as a high resolution jpg (least amount of compression)... hope this helps? I'm realy not doing anything out of the ordinary... if I can see the exif info in pscs but it can't be seen in another program, then it seems to me that the info is simply not compatable not necassaraly corrupt...

Andy,

I can't see your email address, only a link which takes me to a page to type you a message?

Winston
    edited March 18, 2007
    I use the PSCS file browser, choose the raw file I want then I double click on it to open... it opens in the pscs raw file plug in where I can make a myriad of adjustments... once adjustments are complete I click on the "OK" button and the image opens in pscs... At this point it is still a .nef once open in pscs I choose file-save as and I save the image as a high resolution jpg (least amount of compression)... hope this helps? I'm realy not doing anything out of the ordinary... if I can see the exif info in pscs but it can't be seen in another program, then it seems to me that the info is simply not compatable not necassaraly corrupt...

Andy,

I can't see your email address, only a link which takes me to a page to type you a message?

Winston

Opened in Adobe Camera Raw, brought into Photoshop, and then used "Save As" - here it is:

136964008-L.jpg

ne_nau.gif what are you doing differently ear.gif
    edited March 18, 2007
    I am doing the exact same thing you are and this is my result...
    edited March 18, 2007
    I am doing the exact same thing you are and this is my result...
    Check all your preferences for bridge, camera raw, and photoshop. I don't know where it is, but you've got something going on that's stripping the exif.
    edited March 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Check all your preferences for bridge, camera raw, and photoshop. I don't know where it is, but you've got something going on that's stripping the exif.

I checked the preferences in photoshop... what do you mean by "preferences for bridge, camera raw,"

I don't see anything that needs to be changed in preferences, besides like I said before, I can see all of the exif info when the image is open in photoshop... I don't know what the problem is, I'm tired and going to bed... I truely appriciate all your help on this problem...

Winston
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Just checking but I saved this image and opened it in Photoshop CS2. Don't worry - I'll delete the file.

I see this as part of the file properties. It looks like the exif data is there, but somehow it's not being read.
    136996789-L.jpg

136998288-L.jpg
    edited March 19, 2007
    Thank you... That is exactly right... quite the mystery... the question is, what can I do, or what settings can I change to make the info readable on my smugmug site?!? the only program I have to convert the raw file is PSCS... I would have never known because I normally shoot high jpg... but for this contest I wanted more latitude for post processing due to the extreme contrast in the subject matter ne_nau.gif oh well... if it can't be figured out I guess I'll stick to jpg shots for contests headscratch.gif

Winston

RogersDA wrote:
    Just checking but I saved this image and opened it in Photoshop CS2. Don't worry - I'll delete the file.

I see this as part of the file properties. It looks like the exif data is there, but somehow it's not being read.
    136996789-L.jpg

136998288-L.jpg