Nikon gossip

jenna16jenna16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited March 19, 2007 in Cameras
Hi,

I just bought a Nikon D40. I'm not a professional, but I wanted better shutter time and adjustable aperture, so it suits my needs just fine. I have 10 days to return, and I'm trying to find gossip online about potential price drops or new releases, but I can't seem to find anything good. Any insights? I did some online pricing and I think I did ok.

Thanks,
Jenna

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Nothing like that. I have heard that there is a D40x around the corner. But that's the extent of my ears/eyes...
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Hi Jenna,

You might see a small decrease in the D40 as the D40x is rolled out but I would not expect it to be to substantial.

Sorry I couldn't offer more advice, but good luck on your purchase. :D

Thanks,

Lee
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 19, 2007
    Hi Jenna and welcome to the Digital Grin.

If you bought the camera as an investment, I have to advise you that they make poor investments, except as photographic tools.

You really need not explore your purchase anymore, rather you need to be out taking photos with it. You may find that another camera will better suit your needs later down the road, but "you" will have progressed in your capabilities and "that improvement" (in you) should be the driving force in your next camera purchase.

The only thing I would like to point out is that the Nikon D40 really does represent a fairly major change for Nikon in that it is the first Nikon dSLR that will not support autofocus lenses that don't have a built-in autofocus motor. This impacts a fair number of Nikon lenses, and many third-party lenses.

A fairly complete list of lenses which "will" work properly on the D40 appear here:

http://nikond40.dpnotes.com/nikkor-lenses-that-af-on-the-d40/

(You can still use other autofocus lenses with the D40, just in manual focus mode.)

Most limiting are prime lenses with the following Nikkor primes apparently not autofocussing on the D40/D40x:

Nikkor AF 20mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 28mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D
    Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 D
    Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D
    Micro-Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4 D
    Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D
    Nikkor AF 105mm f/2 D DC
    Micro-Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D

Best,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    there are also a number of non-prime (i.e. tamron) lenses that will not work due to the lack of an autofocus servo as well. i would suggest considering a used D70s. it would be around the same pricepoint. just my .02
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • jenna16jenna16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I knew that about the lenses...at first I wasn't going to get it, but then I decided sacrificing the old lenses was a price I was willing to pay in order to have a smaller camera, and an affordable one at that. I figure manual focus won't kill me, right? I used to do it all the time! And I can probably count on my hand the number of times I will go to my brother's house to get my dad's old lenses. I just read something that suggested the D40x isn't even better than the D40. for anyone interested in a "low end" SLR, I think this is kind of interesting, and validating for my purchase!

From Ken Rockwell:
    The D40x was announced March 5, 2007. It's the same as the D40 with a few more pixels (the sensor comes from the D80), a slightly faster frame rate, a much slower maximum flash shutter speed (sync) and a whopping 33% price increase.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

I just bought my camera yesterday. In this gallery, the new photos start with #4...first are some shots with my old point and shoot, albeit 5 MP, and then the new ones are just my daughter sulking under a table, but the difference is huge....
    http://www.greenstein.smugmug.com/gallery/2584270
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hi Jenna and welcome to the Digital Grin.

If you bought the camera as an investment, I have to advise you that they make poor investments, except as photographic tools.

You really need not explore your purchase anymore, rather you need to be out taking photos with it. You may find that another camera will better suit your needs later down the road, but "you" will have progressed in your capabilities and "that improvement" (in you) should be the driving force in your next camera purchase.

The only thing I would like to point out is that the Nikon D40 really does represent a fairly major change for Nikon in that it is the first Nikon dSLR that will not support autofocus lenses that don't have a built-in autofocus motor. This impacts a fair number of Nikon lenses, and many third-party lenses.

A fairly complete list of lenses which "will" work properly on the D40 appear here:

http://nikond40.dpnotes.com/nikkor-lenses-that-af-on-the-d40/

(You can still use other autofocus lenses with the D40, just in manual focus mode.)

Most limiting are prime lenses with the following Nikkor primes apparently not autofocussing on the D40/D40x:

Nikkor AF 20mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 28mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D
    Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 D
    Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D
    Micro-Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8 D
    Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4 D
    Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D
    Nikkor AF 105mm f/2 D DC
    Micro-Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D

Best,