Anyone here own a Holga or know things about film (120mm?)

esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in Cameras
Going on a cruise next weekend and decided to start using the Holga my girlfriend got for my birthday last month. (Of course I will still bring my 20D with full compliment of lenses :lust ).

Anyway, I am looking to get some film. I know it takes 120mm, but am looking at two types and can't tell the difference.

400VC: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=331&A=details&Q=&sku=162420&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

400NC: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=331&A=details&Q=&sku=162410&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    After some research, I did discover NC=Natural Color and VC=Vivid Color. Which is better (especially in something as quirky as a Holga)?
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    esc2476 wrote:
    Going on a cruise next weekend and decided to start using the Holga my girlfriend got for my birthday last month. (Of course I will still bring my 20D with full compliment of lenses iloveyou.gif ).

Anyway, I am looking to get some film. I know it takes 120mm, but am looking at two types and can't tell the difference.

400VC: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=331&A=details&Q=&sku=162420&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

400NC: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=331&A=details&Q=&sku=162410&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Eric,
    I used the Holga and her sister, Diana :D a few years ago. It's a fun camera to use and the results are interesting. First, there are plastic lenses, light leaks, and viewfinders that do not line up with your image, not to mention vignetting and ca. It's almost like using a Lens Baby to a certain extent in that it creates a surrealism effect. It should take any 120 film.
    Have a good trip wings.gif
    Jim...
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kodak_Portra_NC_VC_160__Review_5487767

"
    Kodak VC:
    VC stands for vivid colours and I would recommend this film to anyone who wants just that; vivid colours. I just want to mention that I have experienced some trouble such as colour-casts when just this film with mixed lighting (flash and natural light). I would not recommend this film to anyone who is to take for example portraits within an environment with say both tungsten and natural light. Though in natural environments this film gives an outstanding result, with bright beautiful colours.
    Kodak NC:
    NC stands for natural colours and I actually prefer this to the Kodak VC. I have never experienced any colour casts as I have with the VC though I think both of these films are kinda high in contrast and I would not recommend them for like say portraiture. Chose a fujifilm intstead.. I guess fashion photography would be the perfect use for these films.
    "

A quick google search showed me that. Hope it helps :D
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
    edited March 19, 2007
    Duckys54 wrote:
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kodak_Portra_NC_VC_160__Review_5487767

"
    Kodak VC:
    VC stands for vivid colours and I would recommend this film to anyone who wants just that; vivid colours. I just want to mention that I have experienced some trouble such as colour-casts when just this film with mixed lighting (flash and natural light). I would not recommend this film to anyone who is to take for example portraits within an environment with say both tungsten and natural light. Though in natural environments this film gives an outstanding result, with bright beautiful colours.
    Kodak NC:
    NC stands for natural colours and I actually prefer this to the Kodak VC. I have never experienced any colour casts as I have with the VC though I think both of these films are kinda high in contrast and I would not recommend them for like say portraiture. Chose a fujifilm intstead.. I guess fashion photography would be the perfect use for these films.
    "

A quick google search showed me that. Hope it helps :D

Good Morning,
    Since Eric will be using this film in a Holga camera, it really doesn't matter whether he uses vc or nc, since the results will be 'artistic' anyway. If he were to use a Mamiya, Bronica or other quality medium format camera, then I agree with you 100% :D
    Have a good day,
    Jim...
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    The VC will have more brilliant colors, the NC will have less brilliant colors.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    It's not 120mm film, but 60mm. I'ts just called 120--not sure why (I'm sure doing some googling will turn that info up, but it's not importatn here). Anyway, the Holga will take any 120 film. Between those two, I suspect it doesn't really matter like Jim says, the results are going to be unexpected, very artsy, and experimental anyway. I'd grab a couple rolls or each & play with them.

So far I've run mainly B&W through my Holga with some interesting results--though nto great as I was pushing some Ilford 3200 about 3 stops & that wasn't even enough (the 20D was running at 3200 with a f2.8 lens that night). Gotta get some more time to play with it. :cry
    edited March 19, 2007
    It's not 120mm film, but 60mm. I'ts just called 120--not sure why (I'm sure doing some googling will turn that info up, but it's not importatn here). Anyway, the Holga will take any 120 film. Between those two, I suspect it doesn't really matter like Jim says, the results are going to be unexpected, very artsy, and experimental anyway. I'd grab a couple rolls or each & play with them.

So far I've run mainly B&W through my Holga with some interesting results--though nto great as I was pushing some Ilford 3200 about 3 stops & that wasn't even enough (the 20D was running at 3200 with a f2.8 lens that night). Gotta get some more time to play with it. :cry
    It should be interesting. I am thinking that using this camera may help my technique elsewhere as well.

With regard to the film, thank you everyone for your responses. :D While I do realize that there is a differenc ebetween vivid color and natural color (as of my second post), I was not sure how each of these juxtaposed with the Holga. I think I may buy a few rolls of each and go from there.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 19, 2007
    The Holga does indeed have very inexpensive optics, and they are pretty low in contrast and easy to flare.

I suggest using the Kodak Portra 400NC for negatives or the Fuji Pro 400H. Use the NC version to provide the best exposure latitude. Yes, you will get "artistic" results as Jim mentioned before. Also protect the camera from bright sunlight as the back may not seal very well, and may fog the film otherwise. ("May" as in bet on it.)

I suggest not worrying about too many people images with this camera. Look for bold simple compositions.

Have fun.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 19, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Holga does indeed have very inexpensive optics, and they are pretty low in contrast and easy to flare.

I suggest using the Kodak Portra 400NC for negatives or the Fuji Pro 400H. Use the NC version to provide the best exposure latitude. Yes, you will get "artistic" results as Jim mentioned before. Also protect the camera from bright sunlight as the back may not seal very well, and may fog the film otherwise. ("May" as in bet on it.)

I suggest not worrying about too many people images with this camera. Look for bold simple compositions.

Have fun.
    thumb.gif Great thanks Ziggy. As part of the cruise, we are stopping at some Mayan ruins and I thought this would be a great camera to take "artistic" pictures of the ruins. It came with 100 speed film, but I think I just keep that on the side and use the 400 speed film.

Looks like a trip to B & H is in order. :ivar
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    I would recommend shooting a roll before you go. I just started using one myself. I shot a roll in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and I discovered:
    • The clips needed a little bending before they'll hold the back in place properly.
    • Gaffer's tape works much better than electrical tape at sealing the back (and keeping the cover on if the clips don't hold)
    • I had the square 6x6 mask inside the camera but I had the window in the back set for shooting on the wrong size--it's easy to do if you're not paying attention.mwink.gif
    • The numbers on the Kodak VC400 are not as obvious as I would have liked. The 1 looks like a line to me.
    The second roll of film went much more smoothly.

Anyway, you're going to be much happier if you figure some of this stuff out before you go rather than at Tulum or Chichen Itza (or wherever your cruise stops).
  • JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Holgas are a lot of fun... bet the VC, IMO.

In NYC in November I was devastated that I couldn't find film for my polaroid back... they're not making it anymore!!!!

I'm sure the 120 will hang on for a bit longer. I should pull mine back out again for my trip to Vegas next week.

The light leaks are what make the Holga unique... the light leaks differently from all of them! ha You may want to check out a site or two that advises where to tape them up to minimize really bad leaks.

Here are a few of my holga's... some 120 and some polaroid...

41514904.jpg

41515415.jpg

35912879.jpg

35912899.jpg

35912907.jpg
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
    edited March 19, 2007
    Those really are wonderful photos. thumb.gif

I agree it would be best to shoot, develop and then go from there while on vacation (visiting Altun Ha in Belize, the Panama Canal and Costa Rica), but I didn't leave myself a lot of time. I'll just use tape liberally so I don't have too much leaking. A little leak never hurt anyone, right? mwink.gif
    edited March 20, 2007
    esc2476 wrote:
    Those really are wonderful photos. thumb.gif

I agree it would be best to shoot, develop and then go from there while on vacation (visiting Altun Ha in Belize, the Panama Canal and Costa Rica), but I didn't leave myself a lot of time. I'll just use tape liberally so I don't have too much leaking. A little leak never hurt anyone, right? mwink.gif

"A radiator shop is the best place to take a leak" rolleyes1.gif
    Have a good day,
    Jim...