Options

NYC Statue of Liberty

deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
Okay.. I know someone will know this.... I'm headed to NYC this week with a couple of friends (annaelycm and txminx)... and we're trying to find out if we can get a decent picture of the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry.

Any help would be appreciated? And other photo op locations too... we've kind of mapped out the things we want to see... but we're open to other ideas...

Thanks

Denise
Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    You can get a descent view of the Statue from the Ferry.

Right where you go to catch the Staten Island Ferry in Manhattan -Battery Park is a nice walk with a lot of good sights and food. Walk along the water to catch a view of Brooklyn, The Verazzano, Staten Island, New Jersey, World Financial Center (right across the street from WTC memorial) and then at Chambers Street near the "end" of the walk, you'll get a nice view of the Empire State Building. While the walk supposedly goes all the way up the West Side to the George Washington Bridge (I haven't tried it yet), I don't think the big cruise ships are in NY right now, considering I just got off one in Miami, and the Intrepid is gone so it may not be as interesting.
    I would cut across the city....
    From Chambers street, the "end", you can walk a few blocks to the Brooklyn Bridge for even more sights on the East Side.

91108510-S-23.jpg

Google maps Battery Park, NY and you'll see green areas by the water where the walkway I'm talking about is.
    oh and bring some clothes to keep warm that close to the water!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    Thanks for the info...
    I want to get one of those pictures of the walkway along the water too... I think 5 days is not enough time... but we'll make do... :ivar
    Denise

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 19, 2007
    deeya wrote:
    I want to get one of those pictures of the walkway along the water too... I think 5 days is not enough time... but we'll make do... :ivar

You'll be surprised how much you can do in Manhattan in 5 days. I'd start by segmenting a map by drawing lines across the island dividing it in equal parts and allocating one day per section. (Manhattan is only 1.3 miles wide at it's widest point so don't imagine it's insurmountable).

With the exception of the Cloisters and Columbia U, you probably don't need to see anything north of 81st Street so limit your section spread from there down to the battery.

You asked about views of the Statue from the Staten Island Ferry. Why? Did you mean the Liberty Ferry?

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

• Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Yes I think you can...
    This was taken from the Staten Island Ferry last September at 200mm.

100834085-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    dancorder wrote:
    This was taken from the Staten Island Ferry last September at 200mm.

Dan, you'll want to enable linking so we can see your image.
  • Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Dan, you'll want to enable linking so we can see your image.

Oops, thanks Angelo
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    Thanks Y'all
    Angelo, I don't know much about the different ferries in NYC... I only know we want to get a shot of the Statue of Liberty and we know the Staten Island Ferry is the free one (every penny saved is one more thing we get to do) :)

Anyway... if the shot that dancorder posted was taken with a 200mm from the Staten Island Ferry then I think we will be happy with what we can get...

Melinda has actually spent time in NYC and has been working out a logical system to see the things we want to see (hitting the stuff that is close together on the same trip so we aren't doing lots of backtracking).... basically what you said.. dividing it all up...

I just know we want to come away not only feeling like we have "experienced" NYC but with some great pictures too.... so we'll take any advice/suggestions we can get.
    Denise

• Options
    ajsmith3ajsmith3 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2007
    deeya wrote:
    Okay.. I know someone will know this.... I'm headed to NYC this week with a couple of friends (annaelycm and txminx)... and we're trying to find out if we can get a decent picture of the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry.

Any help would be appreciated? And other photo op locations too... we've kind of mapped out the things we want to see... but we're open to other ideas...

Thanks

Denise

http://ajnikaj.smugmug.com/photos/87555874-L.jpg

I took this from the ferry, I thought it came out pretty good..:crazy
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    deeya wrote:
    Angelo, I don't know much about the different ferries in NYC... I only know we want to get a shot of the Statue of Liberty and we know the Staten Island Ferry is the free one (every penny saved is one more thing we get to do) :)

Anyway... if the shot that dancorder posted was taken with a 200mm from the Staten Island Ferry then I think we will be happy with what we can get...

Melinda has actually spent time in NYC and has been working out a logical system to see the things we want to see (hitting the stuff that is close together on the same trip so we aren't doing lots of backtracking).... basically what you said.. dividing it all up...

I just know we want to come away not only feeling like we have "experienced" NYC but with some great pictures too.... so we'll take any advice/suggestions we can get.

Sorry Denise, I mistakenly thought you expected the Staten Island Ferry took you TO the statue. But yes, the SIF will afford you a nice shooting opportunity (but I'm not sure it's free. Cheap maybe?)

Some other links for you:

http://www.walkny.org/Step1.html

http://www.newyorkcitywalk.com/

and a really cool flash-card guide of walking tours:

http://www.amazon.com/City-Walks-York-Adventures-Foot/dp/0811838447/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5333275-3661542?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174359560&sr=8-1
  • Options
    txminxtxminx Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2007
    Dan you answered our concern - I've done the circle line Liberty Ferry many times and knew they could get the shot they wanted. I was about 7 the last time I rode the Staten Island Ferry and with the lousy camera I was using WAY back when my statue of liberty looked like a dime and I knew that wouldn't be satisfactory.
  • Options
    ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    ajsmith3 wrote:
    http://ajnikaj.smugmug.com/photos/87555874-L.jpg

I took this from the ferry, I thought it came out pretty good..:crazy

There's no way that was taken from the Staten Island ferry, since it doesn't get close enough to the statue for the viewer to be looking up at the statue. I'm sure that was taken from the Liberty Island ferry (the one that takes you to the statue).
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • Options
    ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Sorry Denise, I mistakenly thought you expected the Staten Island Ferry took you TO the statue. But yes, the SIF will afford you a nice shooting opportunity (but I'm not sure it's free. Cheap maybe?)

Yup, the Staten Island ferry is totally free. Even if it's not that close to the Statue, you can't beat the price! thumb.gif
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park