comments or criticism welcome! LPS1

becca07becca07 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
"Sunbathing in Snow"
135285079-M.jpg

Comments

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    For praise I'll say I reallly like this shot! :)

For critisizm heres my words. I feel like its a tad over exposed. Its just to bright for me. Also the horizon seems tilted! I am also wondering what the angle from perhaps a little more to the right and shooting head towards feet or something of that nature would have yielded. :)

Great Great shot!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    I like it for what it is...well done.
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    love the look and feel of this one...

I don't know...the trees are straight, it makes me think the landscape is just sloped a little, I don't mind it.

* edited to add: it's one of my favorites in the challenge
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Nice shot, but I tend to agree, your whites are a little blown out, no texture or definition in either sky or snow. I also might have tried this shot from a different angle to get more lighting on her face, etc. Right now, it appears as though the car is more of the focal point than the girl and it is overwhelming your subject. That is just my opinion and I hope I have not offended you.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • DRabbitDRabbit Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Nice shot, but I tend to agree, your whites are a little blown out, no texture or definition in either sky or snow. I also might have tried this shot from a different angle to get more lighting on her face, etc. Right now, it appears as though the car is more of the focal point than the girl and it is overwhelming your subject. That is just my opinion and I hope I have not offended you.

See, this is where our subjective opinions can vary so much.

The whites ARE blown out, but I think it works. It is dramatic, and goes to the title "sunbathing in the snow" - you feel how bright a day it is, it makes you want to squint. Being that I'm all about how I feel when I look at a photo, this one does it for me... I can see it framed, hanging in a gallery, or featured in a book.

Really, the only criticism I'd have is the horizon being crooked... but I realize that by straightening it out, you'll effect how her pose "feels", leaning back against the car. Since she's the subject, that's much more important than the crooked horizon :)
    Amy :D
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The Dang Gallery on DangRabbit - Follow me on Twitter or on Facebook
    Leica M8: Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon and 50mm f/2 Planar; Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 75mm f/2.5 Heliar
    Olympus E-P1: Zuiko 14-42 and 25mm f/2.8 Pancake; Panasonic 45-200mm and 20mm f/1.7; and M-to-m4/3 adaptor
    Olympus e620: Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    DRabbit wrote:
    See, this is where our subjective opinions can vary so much.

The whites ARE blown out, but I think it works. It is dramatic, and goes to the title "sunbathing in the snow" - you feel how bright a day it is, it makes you want to squint. Being that I'm all about how I feel when I look at a photo, this one does it for me... I can see it framed, hanging in a gallery, or featured in a book.

Really, the only criticism I'd have is the horizon being crooked... but I realize that by straightening it out, you'll effect how her pose "feels", leaning back against the car. Since she's the subject, that's much more important than the crooked horizon :)

15524779-Ti.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif

This could be an all day debate...given the different artistic views...Laughing.gif:D

I tend to believe that even on the brightest day, everything has texture and some sort of definition...

In Maine when everything is covered in snow, stark white as can be, and you drive thru the lonely dirt roads, when sky, sun, or artificial light hits it, the snow glimmers and gleams, Nature lets you know it is there.

I like this photo, and yes dramatic as it may appear, I feel the subject is lost to a degree, and is she not the focal point of the picture? I want to feel what she is feeling "Sunbathing out in the snow"

It all comes down to "Different Eyes, Different Views"....and isn't that what is being discussed in the LPS thread? lmao

Thanks I love a good debate.
    "Donna"

PS: Becca I really do like your pic.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    What I see is that the contrast range in shot is optimized for the car and the car looks great. The story of the picture (at least in the context of this contest) is the girl and the snow, but you have pushed snow off the top and the girl into the shadows leaving the car to own your midtones. I don't per se have a problem with the blown out highlights, but I find that the way the picture is exposed turns it into a "neat old car" shot rather than a "sunbathing in the snow" shot. With some careful fill from a flash and a slightly different curve and I think you could have given the girl center stage and improved the message of your photo quite a bit.
  • becca07becca07 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2007
    Thanks so much for all the feedback; i really appreciate everything. I still have a lot to learn and it is amazing to get such knowledgeable responses from trained eyes. I'm so lucky to have access to a resource such as this when I am still young. Thanks again! :D