Options

About pricing, mamma mia!

LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited March 19, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So far, as a new developer, I've found pricing to be very confusing. I read one place that a bugaboo in Smugmug was, that if you change pricing of some things, that the others will show up at standard pricing if you don't set them whether you want them or not for sale.

I don't even know if that made sense.

I see standard prints section, I see compact prints section, and other prints. I'm confused by this alone. Does this mean we HAVE to offer each of these? and what IS the difference if so?

I was trying to interpret this as follows,
Most things are standard, but standard means they get the best quality print you have on file, at size specified.

Compact means, if I have a compact camera print for sale, I'd price it with this group. For example if I take a shot with a lowly 3.1 mpx camera, and still think it's worth selling, price it as compact? How about a Leica D-lux 3 at 10.2 mpx? :deal or no deal? Belong in standard prints as larger size?

other prints, gee, I just don't know about this category. :scratch

Photo gifts and other downloads are rather self explanatory what they are. Now if I price only a few of these, and list my pricing as CUSTOM, do Only those products I priced show up? Is same thing true for prints? My testing with separate browser seemed to indicate that is true.

What I would like to see as an addendum to how pricing works?

I would LIKE to see a check box in custom printing to OMIT this section. So, I can check the box and eliminate compact, or eliminate any other category with a single check box.

If anyone cares to look at my progress so far, I'm the artist formerly known as "fotogafer" Also currently known as. Catchy name, huh? :ivar

Lex
Smuggler known as "fotogafer"
www.fotagafer.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Lex wrote:
    So far, as a new developer, I've found pricing to be very confusing. I read one place that a bugaboo in Smugmug was, that if you change pricing of some things, that the others will show up at standard pricing if you don't set them whether you want them or not for sale.
    Don't know what "bugaboo" means but if you don't have something set to $0 or a custom price, then it will show up at default.

I see standard prints section, I see compact prints section, and other prints. I'm confused by this alone. Does this mean we HAVE to offer each of these? and what IS the difference if so?
    You only offer what you wish. Set prices to $0 for items you don't wish to offer.

I was trying to interpret this as follows,
    Most things are standard, but standard means they get the best quality print you have on file, at size specified.

Compact means, if I have a compact camera print for sale, I'd price it with this group. For example if I take a shot with a lowly 3.1 mpx camera, and still think it's worth selling, price it as compact? How about a Leica D-lux 3 at 10.2 mpx? deal.gif or no deal? Belong in standard prints as larger size?
    It's not easy, as the 4:3 ratio cameras have gotten better. We're still considering naming options. Sorry for the confustion :)

other prints, gee, I just don't know about this category. headscratch.gif
    How can I help?

Photo gifts and other downloads are rather self explanatory what they are. Now if I price only a few of these, and list my pricing as CUSTOM, do Only those products I priced show up? Is same thing true for prints? My testing with separate browser seemed to indicate that is true.
    True
    What I would like to see as an addendum to how pricing works?
    Have you viewed the video on our help page?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing
    [qutoe]
    I would LIKE to see a check box in custom printing to OMIT this section. So, I can check the box and eliminate compact, or eliminate any other category with a single check box.

If anyone cares to look at my progress so far, I'm the artist formerly known as "fotogafer" Also currently known as. Catchy name, huh? :ivar

Lex
    www.fotagafer.com[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    I didn't know there was a video, I looked on Utube. (JK)

Thanks for the tips, that clarified some for me... I'll watch the video as soon as I get some popcorn made.

Do you want the Webster definition of Bugaboo, or the Smugmug definition? Smugmug called it a "Gotcha"
    Thanks
    Doug (fotogafer)
    Andy wrote:
    Don't know what "bugaboo" means but if you don't have something set to $0 or a custom price, then it will show up at default.
    You only offer what you wish. Set prices to $0 for items you don't wish to offer.It's not easy, as the 4:3 ratio cameras have gotten better. We're still considering naming options. Sorry for the confustion :)
    How can I help?True

Have you viewed the video on our help page?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing
    [qutoe]

Lex
    www.fotagafer.com
    Thanks for the suggestions![/quote]