If only Stately or Humble had been #1

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited March 21, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
As soon as I saw that contest #2 would be stately or humble, I immediately thought of this picture I ook of my 3-year old daughter. Unfortunately I took this picture last week. Oh well.

136455497-L.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Dang, Andrew. That would have been an awesome entry.

It's funny. As I read your post, all I could see was Lincoln, and I was thinking, are you serious, that's too cliche. But, as soon as I scrolled down and saw your daughter, you had me. It's perfect, if not well timed.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif with Ben! Where was that shot at? I guess you've been traveling 'cuz I don't recall that in Seattle eek7.gif.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif with Ben! Where was that shot at? I guess you've been traveling 'cuz I don't recall that in Seattle eek7.gif.

We just got back from a family trip to Maryland, Virginia, and DC to visit my siter-in-law in Norfolk, VA. The last day the trip we went in Washington. The one thing I wanted to see in Washington was the Lincoln Memorial.I couldn't believe I was able to get a picture of my daughter alone next to the memorial with the 100s of people around.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • jimgoldsteinjimgoldstein Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2007
    Funny this is the first subject I thought of....
    and I'm in San Francisco.

Neat shot
    greenpea wrote:
    As soon as I saw that contest #2 would be stately or humble, I immediately thought of this picture I ook of my 3-year old daughter. Unfortunately I took this picture last week. Oh well.

136455497-L.jpg
  • Annie222Annie222 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Is anyone else struggling with Stately or Humble ? I think this one is hard
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Annie222 wrote:

I agree and I also think that each of the Qualifying Contests will be as difficult as the other but that's the beauty of this competition, it will really help me grow as a photographer no matter what my level of expertise is.

I'm now a beginner at this photography stuff and am reasonably sure that I will not win a contest, but am determined to join in each of the contests as it is really helping me grow in my photography and skill level, probably more than anything else that I am reading or doing at the moment. That's why I love this competition.

The fact that the contests are open to interpretation and so far have combined opposite topics is really getting my creative juices flowing. My aim of joining this competition is to be able to become a better photographer with a keener eye for detail and a more imaginative mind.

Who knows, one day in a few years I may even be able to win a contest rolleyes1.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Annie222 wrote:

You're not alone. I'm having trouble coming up with something. Well, I've got 13 more days to dream up a fitting idea and shoot it (like that helps, I had 14 days on Chilled WITH an idea I still couldn't pull off in time....)
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    greenpea wrote:

136455497-L.jpg

Fantastic photo, Andrew. Plus your little girl is adorable. So many thoughts are conjured up by this scene though. Politics aside (thank God!), this photo should give most American's a lump in their throat as it symbolizes so much-- hope, youth, the future, our history, morals, leadership, wisdom, thoughtfulness...the list goes on. Such a tiny person in front of an otherwise huge statue! Thank you for sharing it despite it being "ahead of its time." thumb.gif

Ciao.
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Annie222 wrote:

Just one thought, look to the extremes of things....using Andrew's photo as an example, the photo of lincoln would have fallen flat on its face if that is all it had...but in this case the smallness of his daughter is in stark contast to the huge statue. Something else that came to mind is finding a "stately" presence in an otherwise humble thing-- to me, that is where the good shot is. There is a member/photographer on here who I think has an inate ability to find stately in humble-- Awais. More specifically, his shots of people on the streets of his city was stunning. Take a look some time: http://awais.smugmug.com/
    edited March 21, 2007
    Wow! Thank you davidryan. That is honestly the best complement I have ever received about any of my photos.
    Andrew

• cjkphotocjkphoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    If I may add how I found this image very striking and well done. Intentional or not, there is many contrasting back and forths between stately and humble that I find awesome.
    Lincoln, automatically categorized under Stately. However, the designers of the memorial put a lot of thought into this statue to represent what Lincoln was known for. He had an awesome presence of representing American resolve and power. This is conveyed by his clinched fist. He was also known for his genuine compassion and humility for human liberties and freedoms. This is represented by the opposite, relaxed hand.
    The cute kid in the photo. I would be hard pressed if a seasoned pro can instruct a natural child model to pose better. There is a lot to how she is standing. She is little, she looks sort of intimidated and awe-struck, but also composed by having her hands clapsed behind her back...showing a very polite and stately manner.
    Anyway, that's what I got out of it.
    Great image.
    edited March 21, 2007
    This was the first trip to Washington, D.C. for my family. With a 3 year old and a 3 month old we were limited in what we could see so we only really visited 2 memorials (Washington & Lincoln) and 1 museum (Natural History). The only thing I really had to see was the Lincoln memorial. Getting there in the middle of the day, the memorial was terribly crowded with people, yelling and snapping pictures everywhere. I was struck at how blantantly everone was ignoring a sign that asked for quite.

I wanted to get a shot of my daughter at this memorial, and I am still suprised that I was able to get one shot with her and all of Lincoln without anyone else in the pictures (there are at least 4 other pictures with people walking in front of the camera).
    Andrew