Options

If you have two macs...

StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
edited March 19, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I have an ibook and have been given a g4 powermac not that much use but will be good for the missus to use for e-mail and the such.

Is there an easy way for me to copy settings and stuff over from the ibook to the powermac?

They are both running OSX 10 latest versions and i have Ilife and a .mac account.

What clever MAC type things am I able to do? anyone got any knowledge of this?

Thanks
Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    I have an ibook and have been given a g4 powermac not that much use but will be good for the missus to use for e-mail and the such.

Is there an easy way for me to copy settings and stuff over from the ibook to the powermac?

They are both running OSX 10 latest versions and i have Ilife and a .mac account.

What clever MAC type things am I able to do? anyone got any knowledge of this?

Thanks
    Sure, firewire target mode, you can connect them up and copy stuff directly thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Yep. Use Migration Assistant, built in to OSX. Works a peach.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sure, firewire target mode, you can connect them up and copy stuff directly thumb.gif

woh quick!

ok so I need a firewire cable and thats it. Is it then a case of dragging stuff over? does that work for settings and e-mail and stuff or just for files etc?

is there no easy way to sync the two together? ideally remotely.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    If you want the one to match teh other exactly, then just use FireWire target mode like Andy said, and use an app like SuperDuper to erase the one and completely copy the other over. You can't create a boot disk in OSX by just dragging the OS over, you need an app like SD to "bless" the disk.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you want the one to match teh other exactly, then just use FireWire target mode like Andy said, and use an app like SuperDuper to erase the one and completely copy the other over. You can't create a boot disk in OSX by just dragging the OS over, you need an app like SD to "bless" the disk.

Hmm sorry prob being thick but im a bit confused.
    It already has OSX on it, just want to copy over stuff like firefox, my mail settings, general settings and a few other progs.

Do I need to re-install them all or will this firewire target mode do that for me?

I see that .mac will sync my mail accounts, address book keychains and ical so thats sorted I just womdered if there was a 'press a button' way of copying the main stuff over without re-installing everything and going from scratch.

I'll go read up on firewire target mode I guess.

Cheers

• Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    I would use Migration Assistant, like I said. Seriously, try it. It'll talk you through, every step of the way.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would use Migration Assistant, like I said. Seriously, try it. It'll talk you through, every step of the way.

Thanks just taken a look at that at apple.com and yes it looks like it will do the job.

Ta

ps
    your are a mac man the powermac g4 400mhz I am getting will have 1gb of RAM is it even worth putting any software on it image wise? I use CS2 on my ibook with 2gb of ram and thats ok but Im assuming it wont be worth bothering on the powermac?

• Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    Thanks just taken a look at that at apple.com and yes it looks like it will do the job.

Ta

ps
    your are a mac man the powermac g4 400mhz I am getting will have 1gb of RAM is it even worth putting any software on it image wise? I use CS2 on my ibook with 2gb of ram and thats ok but Im assuming it wont be worth bothering on the powermac?

There's no right answer to that one. It all depends on how much your time is worth to you, how much money you have to spare. I wouldn't rush out and buy RAM, that's for sure. Wait and see how it goes. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus