First out of my home studio.

AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited March 19, 2007 in People
I got my son to let me take a couple of photos the other day.

This one was pretty cute. Could obviously use some work on the white, but a little funny in this photo is the knocked over strobe behind the box. Notice how white it is to the right. :)

Oh well...

136999005-L.jpg

Comments

• belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    The back is farrrr too bright compared to the face. I believe this could be fixed by adjusting the highlights/shadows. But its better done in camera.

A good clue is that the reflected flash off the background is lighting the side of his face more than your primary flash...

I usually expose the key light (main subject light) to f/8 (shutter at 1/250), and the background to f/2.8-f/4.5 (or brighter if you want it blown out). Either way, you want to expose to the main light, and if you want the background blown out, blow it out, but maintain correct exposure on the face...

That out of the way. I love the shot. Yes, very cute, and very photogenic, child. I look forward to the day I have my own studio... I can't wait. Keep it up, can't wait to see more.

-MiKe-
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    beline wrote:
    The back is farrrr to bright compaired to the face. I beleive this could be fixed by adjusting the highlights/shadows. But its better done in camera.

A good clue is that the reflected flash off the background is lighting the side of his face more than your primary flash...

I usualy expose the key light (main subject light) to f/8 (shutter at 1/250), and the background to f/2.8-f/4.5 (or brighter if you want it blown out). Either way, you want to expose to the main light, and if you want the background blown out, blow it out, but maintain correct exposure on the face...

That out of the way. I love the shot. Yes, very cute, and very photogenic, child. I look forward to the day I have my own studio... I can't wait. Keep it up, can't wait to see more.

-MiKe-

Yeah, the background flash was on the floor pointed almost straight up on manual 1/8. Mack was jumping around and knocked it over. So it flashed laying on the ground facing at an angle to the right and back. The reflection was too much, but hey, I got a few shots. That's a lot with a 3 year old volunteer. :)

Thanks for the comments.
  • belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Yeah, he's a cute kid. He looks just like my nephew... :-D
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options