Is L Glass Worth It?

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited March 20, 2007 in Sports
It's so expensive. So really really expensive, I have always had to ask myself is it really worth the investment. Then all of the sudden I went from being the backup to the primary sports photographer at an all weekend event. I've never shot action before, I've never owned L before this glass. I have never gotten shots like these either. This is bad, now I won't be able to get enough. I know these prolly aren't the best, and I'm sure with practice and a faster body I'd be able to do even better. But what do you think of these for a first time sports shooter, first time L owner (70-200mm 2.8 non-is), and a 20D? Comments please.

cheer1sm.jpg
cheer2sm.jpg
cheer3sm.jpg
cheer4sm.jpg
cheer5sm.jpg
cheer6sm.jpg
cheer7sm.jpg
cheer8sm.jpg
cheer9sm.jpg
cheer10sm.jpg
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• 3Alpha3Alpha Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2007
    AWESOME! I like #4 the best.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    bwaaaaahahahaha (copyright Ulysses)...now we have you Gary, there will be no return!

These are great.
    Wonderful exposure, clarity and stop action.

Next step is learning the sport well enough to anticipate what the action will be so that you might event hink about composition (I'm not there yet!).

The addage, shoot tight, crop tighter usually works, but then so does the cardinal rule not to turn your subject into an amputee at a joint.

Good, very good, work!

ann
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I also loved #4 and the expressions in the others--would have to agree, try not to shoot so tight on those verticals, gotta have some breathing room. Crisp and colorful, looks like you're not missing the IS at all. clap.gifclap.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Once you have used good L glass you start to see what its all about...like a light being turned on.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    For the first time these are really good! Action shots are the hardest. I'm impressed!

Sam
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Thanks for all the great comments and I deffinatley can't wait to do more action shots.

Laughing.gif I knew I was gonna get the crop comments. Let me add some info I didn't add earlier. Most of the shots that are croping body parts are actually taken at 70mm, I was so close to them I couldn't fit them in frame. Plus I was under specific instructions (remember I was just a hired gun for the event photography company) to crop tight and not worry about cutting limbs because "parents don't care as much about the limbs as the face's and the cropped photos sell, empty space doesnt".

That and I have a crapload more photos that aren't cropped but due to the limited fabric on cheerleader uniforms, I'm just personally not comfortable posting them on the internet even if they are technically great. I was trying to restrict myself to only posting photos of the girls in mid air (except for the last one cause of her expression) without posting photos that for lack of a more tastefull way of saying it, where crotch shots. Needless to say if I ever have a daughter she is joining the football team, not the cheerleaders.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com