Need advice on 'pocketable' camera

ManticoreManticore Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited March 30, 2007 in Cameras
I have the 'big rig' - D200, 70-200VR, 18-17, macro, etc. etc. and I love it all. The problem is, I'd like something small to stick in my brief-case or pocket for when I'm not likely to carry all the toys - like at work or just buzzing around town.

Now here's where I need help. Since I'm pretty-used the quality I get from my D200, I'm not crazy about settling for just 'ok' quality.

Any recommendations for a high-quality (like, capable of excellent 8x10s) pocketable camera - or am I dreaming? Do any of the smaller camera shoot RAW, or are they all stuck in JPG mode?

Any help appreciated - thanks!
- Steve

D300S, MB10, Nikon 18-70, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, Tamron 90mm macro, Tokina 11-16 2.8, SB800

http://www.justastateofmind.com

Comments

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    epson olympus
    plenty of high end digicams to choose from but you could also look at an
    expensive but high quality and compact epson rd digital rangefinder or film alternative olympus xa series pocket rangefinders or stylus epic.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    I have not used any of these, but I have seen several good reviews of the Canon PowerShot G7 and Ricoh GR. Both are in the $500 to $600 range. The Epson RD-1 looks pretty amazing, but carries a pricetag in the $3000 range.

I have used a few of Casio's Exilim series cameras. They are excellent on battery life and very compact. Excellent quality images IMHO.

The Nikon Coolpix P5000 looks pretty nice and you could use one of your Speedlights on it too.

It all comes down to what features you must have in a camera and what you are willing to spend. In the P&S market there is a lot of choice and just about everyone is producing great to excellent quality cameras.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I have not used any of these, but I have seen several good reviews of the Canon PowerShot G7 and Ricoh GR. Both are in the $500 to $600 range. The Epson RD-1 looks pretty amazing, but carries a pricetag in the $3000 range.

I have used a few of Casio's Exilim series cameras. They are excellent on battery life and very compact. Excellent quality images IMHO.

The Nikon Coolpix P5000 looks pretty nice and you could use one of your Speedlights on it too.

It all comes down to what features you must have in a camera and what you are willing to spend. In the P&S market there is a lot of choice and just about everyone is producing great to excellent quality cameras.
    I read somewhere that if low noise an image quality is what you want from a pocket camera the Fuji F series (F10 onwards) take the cake.
    You could look at the bigger boys like S3 IS from canon, but they are not really pocketable, though not big as a DSLR rig.
    I have one of the Casio Exilims, if you want to shoot in anything except daylight you will be dissapointed.
    As for the Prosumer camera, you can look at Oly offerings which offer very nifty features.
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Leica D-lux 3 images
    I have compiled a test series of images from my new Leica D-lux 3 that I am fairly impressed with. As far as I can tell the only major weakness is sensor sensitivity to blowing out highlights in bright conditions. However, perhaps I was expecting to much in that area..

here is where my images are @: These are 10.2 mpx originally! 100% crops look pretty amazing for a camera of this size. I also found I can handhold a polarizer in front of the lens if I want to. Yeah, it's a little flaky of a way to do it, but it works.

This one will fit in a T-shirt pocket without a case on it, of course, it has just a bit of lens bulge.

Leica D-lux3 test prints

Doug
    www.fotagafer.com

tsk1979 wrote:
    I read somewhere that if low noise an image quality is what you want from a pocket camera the Fuji F series (F10 onwards) take the cake.
    You could look at the bigger boys like S3 IS from canon, but they are not really pocketable, though not big as a DSLR rig.
    I have one of the Casio Exilims, if you want to shoot in anything except daylight you will be dissapointed.
    As for the Prosumer camera, you can look at Oly offerings which offer very nifty features.
  • BeaverhausenBeaverhausen Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    What do you guys think of the Samsung NV7 OPS? I'm in the same boat - hate to carry the big rig all the time - especially because I mostly ride a motorcycle. I love everything I've read about this camera. It's an awkward shape but I think it looks nice as I've always been a fan of the rangefinder form factor. The lens looks like it's well worth the size too except the wide angle isn't as wide as I'd like (38-270mm).
    Digital Rebel 300D, batt grip, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Tamron 28-200mm 3.5-5.6, 550EX, CP-E3 batt. pack
    http://www.photosbybeave.com
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Look no further than the Fuji F30. Great price and great low light capability.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007

The similar Fuji F40 fd also supports 2 card formats, xD and SD, and has an external battery charger.

It also has the Fuji "face detection", but I'm not completely sold on that technology.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007

I just found that Isabel Cutler likes and uses the FinePix F30:

http://www.pbase.com/isabel95/fujifilmf30

Lots of great samples here:

http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/fujifilm_finepix_f30
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Canon Elph (SDxxx) series all have multi AF points, shoot raw, have creative modes, movie mode, etc. Size of a deck of cards. Very nice camera for the money. Something to consider.

Plus the newest versions have body IS.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd700is/
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Ricoh GR
    they look nice- 28mm and 21mm conversion lens...noise may be an issue but can be dealt with-the fuji f30 does looks better at high ISO but maybe not as pocketable-always with the compromises!
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    Canon Elph (SDxxx) series all have multi AF points, shoot raw, have creative modes, movie mode, etc. Size of a deck of cards. Very nice camera for the money. Something to consider.

Plus the newest versions have body IS.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd700is/

I did not realize the elf series enabled a RAW format capture. It is not listed in the specs. ne_nau.gif
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith